Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First sim build... what's the best screen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First sim build... what's the best screen?

Hello,

I am about to start building a golf sim in my house. I've followed this forum for a while and read a lot of helpful stuff.... Thank you! I think I have the launch monitor figured out (Foresight) and now would like to get a screen ordered. im looking for suggestions on what would be the best HD screen available?

I do have a few hurdles with my room, but should be able to get something custom made. I am attaching pictures and dimensions of my room. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joe

Perhaps get in on this. http://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum/...ctly-from-mill

Comment

Thanks Bubba. Appreciate the help. Not sure the raw material will work. I was thinking about some place I can send my drawing and have it custom made with side curtains, net backing if needed and ceiling protection. I think foresight can do this, but I'm not sure they have the best screen for HD images.

Comment

Have someone Boat (canvas, awning repair places that have an industrial swing machine), this is an easy job for them) sew 2" velcro along both sides and the top,also 6" straps every 12", then Blackout curtain one continuous piece that goes up one side , along the top and down the other side, you really only need the side curtain to be 2-3 ft, top the same. email me for Pics, ....going to be tight in that room
        Last edited by Boo Radley; 01-03-2017, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Thanks Boo. Getting it made will be no problem in the future. Just wanted to make sure it's done right the first time. . Then I can use it as a temple when I need to replace it. Also hoping whoever makes it will give me guidance on the frame. Figured I could make a wood frame for screen.

Yea... not the idea room but I can swing driver no problem. Will need to hit off center. Planning on adding cameras head on and rear to work on swing. I actually have a better room available... but my son claimed it 😖. Plus, it's on the 3rd floor.

Is is there a better screeen than the one that foresight sells? Or is it one of the better screens? Not sure if theirs is the same one as the group buy.

Thanks again,
          Joe

Comment

Very interesting as i have almost the same shape and size room. see http://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum/...ect-screensize

Will you be projeting a full image and just sacrifice the corners? I will use U shaped 3mm profiles that i will mount to the ceiling and side walls. And then use bungies to attach a screen. My plan is to first use a archery netting with grommets.

Comment

Hey Snaphook,

I was thinking about projecting a 4:3 image in the center then black out the rest. I figure I could just about fit a 10' wide image with very little in the corner ceiling. I think it's OK to hit off-center then just watch the ball flight from the middle or where ever it starts. Foresight will not care where ball strikes the screen. ( I wonder if you can move things around on Foresight's software to get info out of the corners??)

I plan on installing pretty much the same way. I like the black curtains that go on the sides with Velcro on the end... I first want to figure out whats the best screen to use than get whatever company that sells it to help design it. Foresight's material looks pretty nice, but I'm just a little concerned about how the high def image will look on it. I was hoping someone would suggest what material looks the best (HD image-wise), is durable and quiet. Hope to find out if there is an absolute best screen... like Titleist PV1 is absolutely the best ball!

Comment

Now i got my frame up and messing around with different settings. I realised bigger is'nt always better. Because i have to set offset on the fr1 software and i want the ball to start exactly where i hit it on the screen i moved back to a smaller 4:3 from a bigger 16:10 picture. And also i stand close to the screen and find it easier to see all the info on the smaller size.
                Some example photos here: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3924.PNG
Views:	243
Size:	995.1 KB
ID:	99606 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3926.PNG
Views:	247
Size:	988.0 KB
ID:	99607 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3929.PNG
Views:	236
Size:	988.3 KB
ID:	99608

Comment

Ok... the screen will be here on Monday. I decided to get the Carl's premium screen. Got an extra 4' so I can move it when hitting area gets worn. Planning to screen the whole wall. Here's where I am now on the build. Wondering how many inchs back should I mount the 2nd row of angle for the netting or padding.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here is the Carl's screen installed. I have a company working on custom padding to cover hardware and walls back 7'. I put 1.5" memory foam behind screen and it works great. Ball hits it and drops right in front. Tarp clips work great.

Comment

Are you using only the screen and the memory foam or do you also have something else backing it?
                      Originally posted by Specimen View Post
                      Here is the Carl's screen installed. I have a company working on custom padding to cover hardware and walls back 7'. I put 1.5" memory foam behind screen and it works great. Ball hits it and drops right in front. Tarp clips work great.

Comment

Nothing else. I do have some ropes holding the lower foam running behind the main foam. Seems to work really well.

Comment

You may get bounce back with foam. If so then get archery net behind screen.

Comment

Slowly making progress on this build. Going to use carpet for wall and ceiling protection. Also using a old media center to store clubs.

Comment

Working...
                            X