Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @sb944 winning the TGC 2017/2018 Winter Tour - CIMB Classic !

Join this weeks TGC 2017/2018 Winter Tour - TGC Tour Classic with 2 rounds at Coeur D Alene (ProTee) : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...c-tour-classic
See more
See less

DIY TrueStrike gel pad 4x5 mat for around $175

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this diy idea is great. i'm trying to assemble all of the necessary parts to build a 1'x2' hitting strip version of this. for those that have done this method or the way Mike80 did it, does anyone have an opinion on whether it's better to put the gel under the hitting mat with the foam backing in tact vs cutting the foam backing out and putting the gel directly under the turf?

Comment

Just got my gel pad in today. I have to say, this stuff is impressive. I'm planning on not cutting it. I will have 16" x18" hitting area under the synlawn precision putt. I'm planning on wrapping the gel in saran wrap to keep it from getting dirty as it is quite sticky. Then I will enclose in a small custom pillow case with the foam liner it came with underneath.

Comment

So my garage build is really coming along! I will post a new thread with my whole build. I think it is turning out really great. One of the most satisfying parts is my mat. I have a full 8x12 mat. It is tongue and groove osb subfloor with Synlawn Precision Putt remnants secured on top.

For the the hitting area, I purchased this ULTRAGEL from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1

I ended up just wrapping the gel in suran wrap which worked out great since it can be handled without collecting dust and oils etc. It is sitting on one layer of the thin foam it was shipped in which ends up perfectly flush with the 23/32" subfloor material.

For the turf, I simply used 3/4" screws around the perimeter and seams...you cant really tell there there and they are easy to take out if needed.

Even though I don't have my net and impact screen, I was able to hang a rug and tarp from my frame and hit balls using my GC2 and FR1 software as well as TGC. I took 3/4 swings mostly since I don't have the full setup yet and didn't hit anything more than my 3 hybrid.

All I can say is...WOW! when I flush an iron, it feels amazing! I you hit it fat, it behaves very realistic..... and the Synlawn Precision Putt....it looks and feels absolutely wonderful. It seems VERY durable and since I normally take very shallow divots, I think its gonna last. Time will tell, but initial impressions seem very positive.

Comment

• eddiemm3
          eddiemm3 commented
          Editing a comment
          theizer how's the Synlawn precision putt mat holding up? Trying to figure out which mat to go with and i'm stuck between Ron's setup and Mike80 setup...Where did you get the mat from? Thanks for any input

• theizer
          theizer commented
          Editing a comment
          After about 3 solid weeks of playing every day, absolutely no sign of wear yet. I think this stuff is going to last a while.

I've only had about 7 rounds and a few range sessions but so far don't see any issues or wear on the Synlawn precision putt. It's well constructed stuff.

Comment

Hey guys I built this setup using RattlesnakeRon's setup with the exception I used the entire gel pad instead of half so I could move the hitting point around a bit more. I've only had my skytrak about a week and after one of my sessions (200 balls new spot) the mat is showing stress. Now, I've been called a supers worst nightmare at my divot taking skills as I'm pretty aggressive down through the ball, but my mat now has ripples. photos attached. It appears I've stretched it out in the hitting area. I will move the hitting area around and rotate the mat, but wanted to give anyone a heads up that is an aggressive divot taker that you may want to up the quality of the mat. Other than that I love the gel pad feel. It feels just like taking a divot out of a plush fairway.

Comment

Bilbo, what turf and/or mat are you using to hit from? Looks to be the Emerald Par from Allturfmats.

Last edited by cspin; 10-09-2017, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Yep, I purchased this one off Amazon - All Turf Mats - PGM4860 4' x 5' Emerald Par Golf Mat https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Bilbo too bad about the mat. is the gel still in good shape? it looks ok in the picture.

Comment

It would be helpful to know if any of the nylon turf has separated from its backing. The backing material is not the 5mm foam. There is a material that the fiber is woven into. The turf and backing are then somehow fused to the 5mm foam. The 1mm grip pad is glued to the 5mm foam. My bet is that the turf has pulled away from the foam, although that would not explain the indentations on the bottom of the mat (on the 1mm grip layer).

This type of turf is really not designed to take iron strikes. The 5mm foam is not very sturdy. I am not sure how the two materials are fused together, but I know that commercial driving range mats are done differently. It may also have something to do with it being over the gel. I bet the gel is just fine.

It would be interesting to see how this mat would hold up in a DIY Divot Action setup. It would probably do fine because of the way the plexiglas flexes down without resistance (unlike the gel).

Comment

inorkuo - gel is in great shape, stuff rebounds like nothing ever happened to it.

cspin - I don't believe the turf separated from the backing. It appears to be more of a stretching or even a heat ripple. like running scissors over a ribbon on a present to get it to curl up.

With the size of the gel I have a pretty good strike area so I can move the hitting area around quite a bit and turn the mat, but we will see. Not sure how long this will last, but will post back when I've completely destroyed this thing. You get what you pay for. How long do the high quality mats last?

Comment

• Stingreye
                      Stingreye commented
                      Editing a comment
                      was the mat glued to the gel?

Originally posted by Bilbo View Post
                    inorkuo - gel is in great shape, stuff rebounds like nothing ever happened to it.

cspin - I don't believe the turf separated from the backing. It appears to be more of a stretching or even a heat ripple. like running scissors over a ribbon on a present to get it to curl up.

With the size of the gel I have a pretty good strike area so I can move the hitting area around quite a bit and turn the mat, but we will see. Not sure how long this will last, but will post back when I've completely destroyed this thing. You get what you pay for. How long do the high quality mats last?
                    nope it is free floating.

Comment

Originally posted by Bilbo View Post

nope it is free floating.
                      Haven't built mine yet but if your glue it down to the gel, I wonder if that would slow down the stretching.

Comment

Working...
                      X