Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @allen2be (NET) and @Marc Andre (GROSS) winning the TGC 2018/2019 WINTER TOUR - The Players Championship !

Join this weeks TGC 2018/2019 WINTER TOUR - Valspar Championship with 2 rounds at New Mississaugua G&CC white : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...r-championship
See more
See less

How heavy (or light) are Fiberbuilt mats?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How heavy (or light) are Fiberbuilt mats?

I'm looking at buying one of the 4x5 Fiberbuilt mat systems. Not the studio mat with the EPS pods, but one of the traditional ones with the single piece rubber base.

If someone has one of these, can you tell me how heavy it is? Since my sim room doubles as a home gym, I need to be able to store the mat when not in use. Am I going to be able to pick this thing up and lean it against a wall (or potentially hang it on the wall using heavy duty hooks)? Or is it just too heavy to move around?

Originally posted by trhuke View Post
    A no-slip carpet pad ought to work for the stance thing. Probably a floor mat of some kind would do for the Fiberbuilt or perhaps just a bigger no-slip pad under both. I slide my Fiberbuilt back and forth so I'm not constantly hitting off one spot. Or take a piece of the outdoor felt-like carpet and attach it under the whole thing.

Another thing I am considering is skipping the plywood for the stance mat. Instead, I would glue a cheap stance mat from allturfmats.com on top. The 3/4 foam tiles + their 1.125 thick "premium super tee golf mat" would give a total height of 1.875. Am I correct that the Fiberbuilt strip is about 1.5" high? If so, I could just put a 1/3 inch protective layer of something under it and the heights should be about equal.

Or I could just try to find a 1/2 thick foam mat and use that instead of the 3/4.

Comment

• longstix
      longstix commented
      Editing a comment
      My 1x4 strip is closer to 1 3/4” with the steel piece that connects them

Has the 4x5 or 4x6 been discontinued? They are not listed on Fiberbuit web site and Indoor golf site is sold out.

Comment

• abenjami
      abenjami commented
      Editing a comment
      I see both still there on the Fiberbuilt website.

• retired_18
      retired_18 commented
      Editing a comment
      strange. the athome.fiberbuiltgolf.com site does not list them but the fiberbuiltgolf.com/commercial/ does. Commercial product line I guess

• DaveO
      DaveO commented
      Editing a comment
      It's there on the athome web site. Link to it here:
      https://athome.fiberbuiltgolf.com/co...em-nylon-grass

I just purchased my Fiberbuilt 4x5 mat system this week which has the one piece rubber base as you have described. It is currently en route via FedEx. It is coming in two different boxes. The rubber base and stance mat in one box coming in at 119 lbs according to the FedEx tracking. The 1x4 grass strip is in the other box coming in at 18 lbs - so a total of 137 lbs, and as others have stated, would most likely be tough to move due to the weight and pliability of the rubber base.

As an FYI, I originally purchased a 1x5 Fiberbuilt grass strip and I had planned on placing it next to my 5'x5' stance mat. However, the 1x5 Fiberbuilt grass strip kept moving when struck. I could have tried to build a frame around both to keep the Fiberbuilt grass in place but decided to just purchase the entire ensemble so that they wouldn't move around and look a little nicer.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
      I just purchased my Fiberbuilt 4x5 mat system this week which has the one piece rubber base as you have described. It is currently en route via FedEx. It is coming in two different boxes. The rubber base and stance mat in one box coming in at 119 lbs according to the FedEx tracking. The 1x4 grass strip is in the other box coming in at 18 lbs - so a total of 137 lbs, and as others have stated, would most likely be tough to move due to the weight and pliability of the rubber base.

As an FYI, I originally purchased a 1x5 Fiberbuilt grass strip and I had planned on placing it next to my 5'x5' stance mat. However, the 1x5 Fiberbuilt grass strip kept moving when struck. I could have tried to build a frame around both to keep the Fiberbuilt grass in place but decided to just purchase the entire ensemble so that they wouldn't move around and look a little nicer.
      DaveO will you do me a favor and post again after you receive it? I'm really curious to know if what I want to do is feasible. I know it won't be "easy" to move around but I'm only talking about picking it up and moving it about 5 feet away. I know I can't pick it up all in one piece because the stance mat and hitting strip don't attach to the rubber base, they just rest on top and let gravity do the work.

My thought was doing it by moving one piece at a time (hitting strip, stance mat, rubber base). Obviously I can move the hitting strip and stance mat fairly easy. It's really just a question of how difficult it would be to lift the rubber base and hang it on the wall.

Comment

• DaveO
        DaveO commented
        Editing a comment
        It might be easiest to roll up the rubber base to move it. This is how it is being shipped, in a 51"x18"x15" box.

The 4x5 is exactly what i have as your aware there's 3 pieces in total, the 4x1 hitting strip is solid and not flexible, that would stand against a wall with ease, the 4x4 stance mat is flexible but fairly sturdy, once again this could be leaned against a wall, although over a period of time it may have a curled appearance when you use it again. The base is really flexible and could be rolled up but it would need to be secured otherwise it would just unroll, a bungee would probably do the trick. Once again i'm not sure how it would affect it over a period of time.
      As for the weight, you'll easily be able to move the parts around, mine was listed as being 128lbs in total, i would say the base is half of that total. The bulk of the base is more problematic than the weight, unless you can roll and secure it, then it should be fine to move around.

I would be fairly confident that base could be hung on a wall, although that would involve drilling 3-4 holes in the base close to the edge, spreading the weight over 4 fixings points would probably be sufficient.

Comment

Originally posted by CRM43 View Post
        The 4x5 is exactly what i have as your aware there's 3 pieces in total, the 4x1 hitting strip is solid and not flexible, that would stand against a wall with ease, the 4x4 stance mat is flexible but fairly sturdy, once again this could be leaned against a wall, although over a period of time it may have a curled appearance when you use it again. The base is really flexible and could be rolled up but it would need to be secured otherwise it would just unroll, a bungee would probably do the trick. Once again i'm not sure how it would affect it over a period of time.
        As for the weight, you'll easily be able to move the parts around, mine was listed as being 128lbs in total, i would say the base is half of that total. The bulk of the base is more problematic than the weight, unless you can roll and secure it, then it should be fine to move around.

I would be fairly confident that base could be hung on a wall, although that would involve drilling 3-4 holes in the base close to the edge, spreading the weight over 4 fixings points would probably be sufficient.
        That’s what I was thinking...drill some holes in the base and hang it using heavy duty wall hooks.

Id do the same for the stance mat... drill some holes in it too.

Think that will work?

Comment

• CRM43
          CRM43 commented
          Editing a comment
          I can't see why not, i'd just ensure that there's sufficient hanging points to spread the load, and also to prevent the mat from suffering damage.

I ordered the 4x5 mat for $499 last week, unfortunately they are now out of stock and are not coming back. I have been talking to one of their sales staff and it looks like the next step would be the performance mat for $749. I’m planning to buy two since my daughter is a lefty and I plan on putting the skytrak in between the two mats. Any ideas on how else to do this while looking nice and professional?

Comment

I planned on using the skytrak in the middle on a turntable to make for easy change between right and left handed hitters. So neither of those mats would fit that need, from what I've read on the forum moving the skytrak is not terrible, but I would like to avoid it and make the right handed on the center line with the left handed just offset a foot or two.
        Imagining something like this
        Attached Files

Comment

• StuartG
          StuartG commented
          Editing a comment
          If you have enough room (width) for that type of set-up to work, then great. But most usually do not in a home sim setup.

But I think you might be best off (cost wise) building up your own platform. You can use any inexpensive mat (like allturfmats) for the stance portion of the mats and then just buy some 1x4 or 1x3 hitting panels from Fiberbuilt.
      Working...
      X