Fiberbuilt flight deck inserted into a stance mat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberbuilt flight deck inserted into a stance mat

Anybody drop the Fiberbuilt Flight Deck (the small oval one) into a stance mat or platform? Or is everyone just setting it next to their mat?

The mat purchase is proving to be the one I'm having the hardest time deciding on. For $50 or so, the Flight Deck sounds like a good option as a starter mat until I'm prepared to drop $500 on a "real" Fiberbuilt. But I'd like to have everything as one complete surface as opposed to two separate pieces for standing and hitting.

Does the oval shape make it a little weird or difficult to drop it inside a mat/platform? Anyone have any pics or tips they care to share? Thanks

This will be difficult to do and create a clean transition. I would suggest buying the 1 by 1 squares. I bought 2 squares from fiberbuilt through email. Was pretty easy transaction and squares are much easier to work with.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ADB6A3B2-577C-44C0-8330-CA63E6C0C317.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	161.1 KB ID:	220464

Comment

• 3on3putt
      3on3putt commented
      Editing a comment
      They recently stopped selling the individual squares. The smallest you can now buy is the 3-square section for around $250. I am also considering that as a possibility as like you said, squares (or rectangles) are much easier to work with (and probably better looking). But yeah, unfortunately the individual squares are no more.

• DirtyGarry24
      DirtyGarry24 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh man that sucks. Did not know that.

• Wizard of Coz
      Wizard of Coz commented
      Editing a comment
      you can buy strip of 3 or 4 and separate the squares if you want. sell the extras if you dont want them

Were you planning on cutting the lip off the outside of the flightdeck? If you cut that wide lip off then you could make it a cleaner insert but I will warn you the fiberbuilt stuff is tough to cut on. I cut my two sections in above and it was a huge pain.

Comment

Originally posted by GarySatterwhite View Post
      Were you planning on cutting the lip off the outside of the flightdeck? If you cut that wide lip off then you could make it a cleaner insert but I will warn you the fiberbuilt stuff is tough to cut on. I cut my two sections in above and it was a huge pain.
      That's something I wasn't sure of and wanted to see if anyone had successfully done it. If I don't cut the lip off, the flight deck will sit higher than the rest of the mat.

I'm thinking I can maybe build a platform that is the exact height of the flight deck. Then cut the hole just big enough to push the green fiber part of it through the hole and leave the black base underneath the platform. So it would then all be level.

Hoping someone who has done this can chime in.

Comment

I did exactly what you're referring to. I used an 4' x 8' sheet of 23/32 OSB and cut the oval out for the FiberBuilt. It worked fairly well for a while until I wore holes in the carpeting. I was too cheap to get a decent stance mat and just had indoor/outdoor carpeting on the surface of the OSB. I saw the FiberBuilt hitting station on sale at Costco and purchased that to replace the OSB set-up. I'm still using the hitting station today. The biggest downside for me is putting. I think the fibers are different on the FlightDeck from the 'real' FiberBuilt like the one DirtyGarry24 has pictured. I can't putt worth a darn in TGC, it's the worst part of my game. IRL putting is the best part of my game and I blame the FlightDeck. In hindsight if I had to do it all over again I would have just sucked it up and gotten the 'real' deal from FiberBuilt.

Comment

• DirtyGarry24
          DirtyGarry24 commented
          Editing a comment
          I made my hitting section 6 inches wide specifically for putting. I could hit off the fiberbuilt and putt off my stance mat. Was tough to get cut in but worth it in the end.

I’m in the same spot As you. Not ready to drop $500 on the Fiberbuilt 4x5 so I’m using the flight deck oval for now and an All Turf Mat to stand on. I got a 2x3 gorilla carpet anti-slide mat for $10 and put it next to my stance mat. I’m waiting for 3/4th inch of interlocking foam tiles to arrive to put under the stance mat and make it even with the flight deck as the All Turf mat is shorter.

I hit off both the flight deck and the actual nylon Fiberbuilt at a GolfTec and to be honest I can’t tell the difference—they are both good.

Here’s a photo of someone that built the flight deck into their mat

Comment

Originally posted by cmckelvmi View Post
          I did exactly what you're referring to. I used an 4' x 8' sheet of 23/32 OSB and cut the oval out for the FiberBuilt. It worked fairly well for a while until I wore holes in the carpeting. I was too cheap to get a decent stance mat and just had indoor/outdoor carpeting on the surface of the OSB. I saw the FiberBuilt hitting station on sale at Costco and purchased that to replace the OSB set-up. I'm still using the hitting station today. The biggest downside for me is putting. I think the fibers are different on the FlightDeck from the 'real' FiberBuilt like the one DirtyGarry24 has pictured. I can't putt worth a darn in TGC, it's the worst part of my game. IRL putting is the best part of my game and I blame the FlightDeck. In hindsight if I had to do it all over again I would have just sucked it up and gotten the 'real' deal from FiberBuilt.
          I have seen on other threads where people say the Flight Deck material is indeed a little different from the regular Fiberbuilt surfaces. This is my very first sim build and I'm hoping the Flight Deck can suffice for a little while until I have the funds to throw down for a real Fiberbuilt. Were you able to get the Flight Deck even with the stance platform?

Comment

Originally posted by Liveonce View Post
            I’m in the same spot As you. Not ready to drop $500 on the Fiberbuilt 4x5 so I’m using the flight deck oval for now and an All Turf Mat to stand on. I got a 2x3 gorilla carpet anti-slide mat for $10 and put it next to my stance mat. I’m waiting for 3/4th inch of interlocking foam tiles to arrive to put under the stance mat and make it even with the flight deck as the All Turf mat is shorter.

I hit off both the flight deck and the actual nylon Fiberbuilt at a GolfTec and to be honest I can’t tell the difference—they are both good.

Here’s a photo of someone that built the flight deck into their mat
            Keep me posted on how it works out with the foam tiles. I have a whole bunch of them at home that I'm not using. That picture is more or less what I'm hoping to do. I was thinking of having the Flight Deck completely enclosed by the stance platform all the way around. But that's the general idea I was going for.

Comment

Originally posted by 3on3putt View Post

I have seen on other threads where people say the Flight Deck material is indeed a little different from the regular Fiberbuilt surfaces. This is my very first sim build and I'm hoping the Flight Deck can suffice for a little while until I have the funds to throw down for a real Fiberbuilt. Were you able to get the Flight Deck even with the stance platform?
              The flight deck is a little more stiff but is supposed to loosen over time. Compared to the regular version I think it’s splitting hairs and just about the same when I compared both.

Comment

Just to circle back and update this ..... I tried it and it turned out quite well.

I bought a 4x8 piece of plywood for $20 and had it cut down to 4x5. It's 1/2 inch thick.

Then I bought this mat for $80 to use as a stance mat =

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Backyard-Golf-Mat-48-x-60-Pro-Residential-Practice-Golf-Turf-Mat-With-Foam-Pad/152138674954?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_tr ksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I cut a hole in the plywood just slightly larger than the flight deck (which I bought for $55 on Amazon). Then I cut a hole in the mat that's just big enough for the green fiber part of the flight deck to squeeze through.

Flight deck goes on the floor and the plywood is laid over top. Mat goes on top of the plywood and the flight deck sticks through the hole.

I assumed I would have to improvise with something to get the surface of the flight deck even with the surface of the stance mat. But as luck would have it, the mat I bought is the exact same height as the green fiber part of the flight deck. So no improvising needed and the hitting surface is exactly even with the stance area. Even measured it with a level to verify.

So all in all it's a poor man's fiberbuilt mat for $155. I hope to upgrade to a legit fiberbuilt in the future but I figure I can wear this thing out while saving up for a "real" one. This is nice to hit off though. My setup is not finished yet but I hit a few balls on this last night and it feels great. No movement either. The mat fits real snug over the flight deck and keeps everything in place.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GarySatterwhite View Post
                  Gary, how did you end up cutting yours? I’m wondering if you could turn it upside down and run a circular saw through it?

Comment

• DirtyGarry24
                    DirtyGarry24 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Cutting on fiberbuilt is not ideal. It has metal plugs holding each plug of fibers inside the molded base. Also the rows of plugs are spaced about 1/8" apart making it difficult to find the sweet spot when cutting to a specific size. I was able to do it and be happy with the results but it took some planning and grinding to make it look decent. I cut mine with a miter saw with the fibers down. Then used an angle grinder to get the final fit. The above pic is actually 2 pieces butted together to get the extra length I needed (16 inches). Good luck.

• jrz
                    jrz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you...

Originally posted by 3on3putt View Post
                  Just to circle back and update this ..... I tried it and it turned out quite well.

I bought a 4x8 piece of plywood for $20 and had it cut down to 4x5. It's 1/2 inch thick.

Then I bought this mat for $80 to use as a stance mat =

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Backyard-Golf-Mat-48-x-60-Pro-Residential-Practice-Golf-Turf-Mat-With-Foam-Pad/152138674954?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_tr ksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I cut a hole in the plywood just slightly larger than the flight deck (which I bought for $55 on Amazon). Then I cut a hole in the mat that's just big enough for the green fiber part of the flight deck to squeeze through.

Flight deck goes on the floor and the plywood is laid over top. Mat goes on top of the plywood and the flight deck sticks through the hole.

I assumed I would have to improvise with something to get the surface of the flight deck even with the surface of the stance mat. But as luck would have it, the mat I bought is the exact same height as the green fiber part of the flight deck. So no improvising needed and the hitting surface is exactly even with the stance area. Even measured it with a level to verify.

So all in all it's a poor man's fiberbuilt mat for $155. I hope to upgrade to a legit fiberbuilt in the future but I figure I can wear this thing out while saving up for a "real" one. This is nice to hit off though. My setup is not finished yet but I hit a few balls on this last night and it feels great. No movement either. The mat fits real snug over the flight deck and keeps everything in place.
                  I know this is an old thread but hopefully you can comment and respond when you get a moment. I purchased 1/2 foam interlocking tiles and cut an oval shape for the flight deck to fit into similar with what you did with the wood. I then cut a hole in the mat just for the flight deck to fit into my stance mat but I'm having an issue with the fact that the flightdeck itself is not even across with the actual fibers so it appears it needs some kind of grading involved when cutting. Is this an issue you experienced as well or does the 1/2 of plywood completely cover the base so there is no contact at all with the mat and the fiberbuilt flightdeck frame?

Comment

The oval that I cut in the plywood is the same size as the base of the flight deck (actually a hair larger so the base could squeeze through the hole). I just set the flight deck on top of the wood and used a pencil to trace a line around the base. Then I cut on that line.

But with the mat, I only cut a hole as big as the green fibers of the flight deck. So the mat hole is slightly smaller than the wood hole (because the wood hole includes the base of the flight deck whereas the mat hole does not). The base of the flight deck and the wood sit flush on the floor together. The mat then goes on top with only the green fibers of the flight deck sticking through.

Hope that makes sense!
                    Last edited by 3on3putt; 04-22-2020, 12:17 PM.

Comment

3on3putt - looking at doing this for my ProTee Fiberbuilt. How is your Backyard Golf Mat (48"x60") on eBay holding up? Are you still using it, and how is the wear on it? How many shots have you hit on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Brettster View Post
                        3on3putt - looking at doing this for my ProTee Fiberbuilt. How is your Backyard Golf Mat (48"x60") on eBay holding up? Are you still using it, and how is the wear on it? How many shots have you hit on it?
                        Funny you ask, because someone else also asked about this the other day...

https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...th-flight-deck

I didn't use the Flight Deck for long, as I decided I just didn't love hitting off of it. The Flight Deck is quite different than the regular Fiberbuilt mats. The fibers are very long and bristly, much like a broom. The ball sits kind of weird on it and seemed to always launch high off the face of the club. Certainly very easy on the joints though.

The Backyard mat was only used as the stance mat.

I decided to try my luck with a Rawhide mat and I really like it (they are the mats used at Top Golf).

If I were to try the DIY again, I would try to get a hold of one of the Fiberbuilt hitting strips as opposed to the Flight Deck. Someone in that link I shared up above posted a link to something that's probably better for this than the Flight Deck.

Comment

Working...
                        X