Fiberbuilt vs Divot Action and musculoskeletal injury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberbuilt vs Divot Action and musculoskeletal injury

I’ve had the fiberbuilt 4x10 mat for two years. Right medial epicondylitis became so bad I needed a platelet rich plasma Injection to fix it. Thankfully it worked. I continued with the fiberbuilt broom brush strip for the past six months and have a mild case of left medial epicondylitis which would become mildly apparent after 30 fiberbuilt balls. I just received the Divot Action yesterday for Christmas. 30 balls yesterday and 90 today, no symptoms. On a fat or steep swing, the Fiberbuilt grabs. The Divot Action does not at all, it is far superior feeling more like damp Bermuda. Very smooth and no grabbing and twisting of the club face, none.
    I am a physician and a six handicap so have a good idea what I’m talking about. Early impression on comparing Skytrak numbers is that the DA is more accurate but need more time. I got the 12x18” strip with two 12” inserts for $200.
    Ive used the true strike at my club, it’s awful, and the fiberbuilt is actually punishing compared to the Divot Action.

I have had lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow) on both elbows and required surgery on both to fix. Years later when I got into sim golf I started with CCE strip. Over a brief time, I started to develop soreness in both elbows again and started to actually feel discomfort in the medial tendon in my right elbow. I then switched to the Fiberbuilt strip (12"x35") and the inflammation in the elbows subsided. So from a stress-on-the-joints perspective, I found the FB strip to be quite forgiving. That being said, I recently ordered the Holy Grail (HG) strip from Gung Ho. Because I ordered the same size as my FB strip, I was able to fairly easily pop out my FB strip from my DIY hitting platform and insert the HG in its place. My reason for trying the HG had nothing to do with stress on my joints from the FB but rather a curiosity about the product. From the few hundred balls I've hit, I have been very impressed. It offers a different feeling at impact; it feels more like a tight fairway lie than the FB which to me always felt like the ball was sitting up on the first cut off the fairway - ball floating a bit which for me tends to promote a sweeping motion rather than a compression motion. The HG seems well constructed despite being much lighter in overall weight than the FB strip. The foam strips underneath the hitting strip do a real nice job of absorbing the impact and of returning the surface back to level. Putting off the HG is very good as well. I ordered the HG strip on a Monday and received it on Friday of the same week. I still think the FB is a fantastic proven durable product but you may want to give the HG a try.
    Attached Files

Comment

This is gonna be one of those different for everyone situations. I have both FB and DA. Both have different highlights. If you are taking monster divots, you are more likely to experience an injury and it is the fault of the swing, not the insert. This would likely happen outdoors.

Also note that if you don't usually hit a ton of golf balls, go get a new simulator, and start hitting 200 fat shots a day, you're gonna pay for overuse too soon. This would also happen outside.

Most average golfers would hit a medium bucket (~35 balls) then go out and play a round (90 shots) and that would be the day. If you're pounding out shot after shot in a sim it's easy to double that and your body probably isn't used to it. Best advice here is first address the swing issue and watch the overuse situation.

Note: I am not a doctor, but I'll take a look anyway!

Comment

Working...
      X