Floor Joists replacement options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor Joists replacement options

I have a question about floor joists. I have 12" engineered wooden I beam joists on 16" center above my ceiling. Has anyone replaced a few of these to maximize height in their space? I would think that a 4" steel I beam would be as strong and give me a lot more clearance. Has anyone had experience with this?

I would recommend having some contractors come out to give you a quote for the job. That way you can pick their brain and make sure they're meeting the code standards for your area.

Comment

• fortner28
      fortner28 commented
      Editing a comment
      I will definitely do that. I will probably have an engineer certify things as well. I was just curious to see if any people have gone through the process. There are variables such as span and load that make every situation a bit different.

I did that with a structural engineer...but has 2x6 sandwiched on either side of my 2x10...then trimmed to match the width of the 2x6 to pick up a few inches. Definitely work with an engineer to come up with the plans.

Comment

• fortner28
      fortner28 commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you look at steel as an option? From the calculation I find it looks like a 4" steel I beam is stronger than the joists I want to replace. Of course steel costs a good deal more.

• Holtzeeeeee
      Holtzeeeeee commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah he brought that up but to your point would have been exponentially more in cost for two inches of additional height.

I replaced a couple in my garage. Because it was structural “legally” I had to have plans from a structural engineer, and a permit. The cost from the engineer was a few hundred. I took out 2 joists for an 8 foot span, and was able to raise the ceiling a couple feet. It was totally worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by fortner28 View Post
      I have a question about floor joists. I have 12" engineered wooden I beam joists on 16" center above my ceiling. Has anyone replaced a few of these to maximize height in their space? I would think that a 4" steel I beam would be as strong and give me a lot more clearance. Has anyone had experience with this?
      Depending on span you'd better with LVL
      My Courses:
      World Par 3's by mthunt
      Toronto GC (L) mthunt
      Burlington G&CC by mthunt
      Weston G&CC by mthunt
      London Hunt Club L mthunt
      Park CC Lidar mthunt
      Sunningdale GC Robinson L
      Sunningdale GC Thompson L
      Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
      Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
      The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
      The National GC L mthunt
      Mississaugua GC L mthunt
      Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
      Markland Woods CC mthunt
      Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
      Magna GC L mthunt
      Barrie CC L mthunt
      mthunt Range

Comment

• fortner28
        fortner28 commented
        Editing a comment
        I think the smallest LVL beam is 7.5 inches. This would gain 4". I was really hoping to gain at least 6". I will have to figure out how much the extra space is worth.

• mthunt
        mthunt commented
        Editing a comment
        Depending on the span you can trim 2 inches off of the LVL. I’ve done it.
    Working...
    X