DivotAction ToGo Mat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DivotAction ToGo Mat

I thought I'd share my experience with this mat as I haven't seen it talked about a lot on the forums (or if so I've missed it).

What is it?
    DivotAction (DA) is a very forgiving golf hitting system that relies on a strip of turf suspended over the base of the mat but a set of spring clips. Even if you're a heavy downward striker, this allows you to shoot pain-free on an indoor mat.

I started looking for another mat this Fall because last Winter I developed serious elbow, rib, and hand pain playing on my SwingTurf mat from Rain or Shine Golf. I had a Country Club Elite mat before the SwingTurf that I returned within the first 30 days of having it because it was so firm. The SwingTurf was an improvement on the CCE, but in the end caused me too much pain to keep using it as my main mat.

When shopping for a replacement, I was originally debating between Fiberbuilt or TrueStrike until I stumbled on the "ToGo" model for DA. The ToGo model basically is a sidecar mat for your existing stance mat and slides underneath of it so that you don't have to buy another full-size mat. In addition to being marketed to be very forgiving, tt was particularly appealing because of its cost. They're only ~$250, which compared to a complete new ST or FB mat is an unbeatable deal. I decided to give it a go.

The ToGo mat is on the right of the main mat in the image below.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Y2UimAT.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.3 KB ID:	349034
    DivotAction ToGo next to my SwingTurf mat

Review:
    I've had the DA mat now since September and have started playing frequently on it since October. It is without a doubt much more forgiving than a fixed mat system like the SwingTurf. Even on really fat shots, there is no jarring effect at all on your body. Instead, the entire top platform of the SwingTurf just gives way and floats down toward the bottom of the mat. Distances and spin, however, seem unaffected from hitting on the mat surface right next to it, so it is ideal from my perspective.

Minor Gripes:
    The DA ToGo model has a thin metal arm that extends below the turf of your stance mat to keep it in place. It's just thick enough that it creates a bump on the stance map you can feel when standing quite close to your shot (like when hitting wedges). It also means you won't want to hit from this portion of your original mat as it's uneven (not an issue for me as I have no desire to hit from the old mat). Ultimately, this is a fixable problem as I know I can just take an Exacto knife and cut a small channel in the bottom of my stance mat to allow the metal arm to sit snugly beneath it, I just haven't done it yet.

Click image for larger version  Name:	divotactiontogobrace.png Views:	0 Size:	107.7 KB ID:	349035

Secondly, the floating mat system sits on two metal clips that suspend the turf over a plastic surface that makes up the bottom of the mat. When you hit a fat shot, these clips collapse quickly and make some noise. Others on the forum have complained that with the full-sized DA mat, this noise is really loud and bothers them. I didn't have this experience, but wanted to comment on it for others' awareness. Another user asked me to post a video demonstrating the noise. You can listen for yourself below. I can't actually hear the difference in the video between the intentionally fat shot and the regular ones, but admit you can tell the difference in real-life if there is no other noise in your hitting area (neither bothers me). I usually play with a TV or radio on, so once you have some other noise in the background, the sound of hitting the golf ball is as loud as any other noise from the mat. You can evaluate for yourself below.

Something I can't yet comment on is durability. I've read reviews that DA wears out quickly, only time will tell. But... for the price, if I get two or more seasons out of this I'd be happy to buy it again.

Bottom Line:
    Ultimately I'm a big fan of this mat. It's brought me back to pain free golf in the garage for as long as I'm willing to practice. If you already have a stance mat and are looking for the most forgiving hitting surface possible, I don't think you can go wrong with this addition.

If anyone has questions, I'm happy to answer them.

Excellent post myrison , you're right i barely hear a difference, but do notice it on your second shot. I don't think that noise would be enough to deter me if it's going to save my wrists better than any other type of mat out there, including the divot action knock-offs or DIYs.

So, how much gap is there really between the top/bottom of the mat that compresses? Just wondering if you could take a side/angle picture, it's hard for me to notice from the top of the mat.

I like how you do not notice the clips, but that brings me to another point, I believe that means I'll need to keep a spot under my turf to slide that metal under so, my turf must not be glued down in any way, is that right?

One last point - did I see someone tried to buy the mat and found the company out of business?

Comment

I bought a divot action strip and cut out a place in my mat to install it. I think its the best option out there. It seems that Divot Action may be out of business? I hop that isnt the case because I would have bought a couple more mats off of them.

Comment

Hmm … that would be a huge bummer if they were. I’d just try giving them a call. They weren’t great about email responses but did call me back right away when I called them.

Comment

Originally posted by Brettster View Post
          Excellent post myrison
          So, how much gap is there really between the top/bottom of the mat that compresses? Just wondering if you could take a side/angle picture, it's hard for me to notice from the top of the mat.

I like how you do not notice the clips, but that brings me to another point, I believe that means I'll need to keep a spot under my turf to slide that metal under so, my turf must not be glued down in any way, is that right?
          Brettster -- here you go with a picture from a side angle. The total depth of the strip is just barely taller than a golf ball (which includes the depth of the top turf, so it's maybe 3/4 of the height of a golf ball of actual air gap between turf and plastic). There's also a pic of the clips as well with it turned over.

Click image for larger version

Name:	OWAdNw9.jpg
Views:	1057
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	349192Click image for larger version

Name:	PIbRRmG.jpg
Views:	988
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	349193

Re: the gluing down of your mat. I use carpet glue strips under my mat (which is on concrete) and just pulled it up one time to slide the metal arm under and then stuck it back down. The mat is still glued down very well and doesn't move at all. My mat is pretty heavy so yours may not work exactly the same way... it would depend on what it's mounted to, strength of adhesive, etc...

Let me know if you have more questions please.

Comment

Thanks myrison - that's what I was looking for... it appears it will sit just next to my mat, especially if I cut out the area of my flooring (3/4" plywood). Here's new questions for you.

1.) Does it matter which direction that clip goes (a. under your feet, or b. in front of you and under the mat in front of you instead of under you)? The reason I ask is I'll be setting up ProTee sensor in my primary hitting area, which means that I cannot place a clip under the ProTee Sensor mat (it's about 2 1/2" thick) as it will goe down all the way to the concrete. I can't show you exactly yet, as I'm still working on finishing my raised floor - but scheduled to be done in the next few days when I'll take a picture to show you. Also, I won't have my turf in until next week, so only the ProTee Turf will be in place.

2.) Do you have the 18" or 24" version of the DivotAction ToGo? It looks like it comes in both sizes and with any of the mats, even combo mats which I find perfect for my needs.

Comment

The mat only works in one direction (parallel to mat on either the right or left, it could not go under a surface in front of or behind the hitting area) given the way the hinge is attached to it. The to go is approximately 12” wide by 25” long.

you can see a picture of the hinge here:

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like myrison.
              Last edited by myrison; 11-16-2021, 04:14 PM.

Comment

myrison - I'm sorry I meant in front of me, not in front of the hitting mat. That would appear to be parallel to the mat on the right side of a mat, but I am swinging from a mat to the left of it. So, I think it means, it would be setup as if I was a left-handed golfer (even though I am not), and I would be swinging/hitting from a mat that is parallel and next to the Divot-Action ToGo mat on the opposite side of it. (like if you setup your Divot-Action underneath the mat with the computer on it, instead of underneath the mat you are standing on).

So, I am not standing/swinging from the mat that has the Divot-Action clipped underneath it, but the mat parallel and next to it. Does that work? What I think I'm asking is if Divot-Action ToGo requires the weight of someone standing on the mat parallel to it, to use it? So, if I tried it this way and was not standing on the mat that had it clipped under it, would it stay down and work properly without any weight on that parallel mat? You could try it yourself by turning your Divot-Action ToGo 180 degrees so the bracket/clip is underneath the mat (with the computer on it) next to, or in front of you, when stance is made. That would be a way to see if it would work for me, though you do have a computer there providing weight on that mat the Divot-Action ToGo would have it's metal bracket under - and might hold it down. I will also try calling Divot-Action.

Comment

Aha, I get it now. I think it just needs something heavy on it, not necessarily a person. My 'mat' under the computer here is flimsy imitation turf that a light wind would blow away, so that won't work, but you can put carpet tape on the bottom of the DivotAction mat as well to just glue it down directly before putting a mat over the hinge area. I'm not sure how well carpet tape alone with no weight on it would work, but I think the combination of a normal-weight golf mat + carpet tape would be more than enough. Good idea to ask the DA folks to be sure.

Comment

Thanks myrison - when I get some time, I'll give them a ring... That's what I'm hoping for - adding the DA on the other side. My scale drawing shows I will only have 2' over that way for the clip to fit under, is that enough? How long is the clip that fits under the turf?

I'm still deep into my build, so much to do before Thanksgiving! And, I really want to be hitting balls by Thanksgiving, or not much long after... Today I was cutting floor joists outside my shed as it snowed and got dark around 5pm. Much of the problem is that my daylight availability is limited. This weekend though, it's supposed to hit 45 and 47 degrees, so may be my last chance to do any outdoor cutting.

Comment

I have a Divot Action insert strip - basically the same as above but without the white metal bracket. I cut out a rectangle from my stance mat and inserted it. I have heard that customdesigngolf might not be trading anymore. I emailed John the owner a couple of weeks ago but still haven't had a reply. So the rumours may be true

Comment

Wow that’s a shame if true. Did they actually develop the DA or were they just the licensed reseller for the US / Americas market ? (Maybe someone else will pop up to represent them if they’ve gone out of business ?

Comment

• Alex.Morgan
                          Alex.Morgan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          They actually developed it and only sold it direct, hopefully just a blip and they will be back.

I have the DA insert as well, we cut it in to CCE mat and love it. We have worked with John at Custom Design Golf for a number of years, great guy. Sadly, he passed away recently after contracting COVID 19. Not sure the plans for the company.

Comment

• Brettster
                          Brettster commented
                          Editing a comment
                          JKCapeCod - your cut in of Divot-Action into CCE looks perfect.... Did you make a special request for the exact same turf? So sad to hear of John's passing (owner of Custom Design Golf). I hope someone can pick up with the line and continue it... maybe purchase the name/trademarks, etc. Bummer.

• JKCapeCod
                          JKCapeCod commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Mentioned to John we had a CCE mat and that is the color I received.So far we like it.

John at Custom Design Golf was awesome to work with. Sorry to hear about his passing. I hope someone keeps the DA mats going. Great product.

Comment

I was worried something may have happened, terrible news. Sorry to hear of his passing

Comment

Working...
                          X