Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Brandon Jeffrey (NET) and @ecarl97 winning the TGC 2018 FALL TOUR - Safeway Open !

Join this weeks TGC 2018 FALL TOUR - CIMB Classic with 2 rounds at Kapalua Bay Golf Club : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...r-cimb-classic
See more
See less

Projector Advice. Not Mounted to Ceiling...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Projector Advice. Not Mounted to Ceiling...

    Hi

    I just bought a Skytrak

    Im really only going to use it for driving range practice for the moment (might upgrade to sim play later but not sure)

    Because im only using the driving range i dont need amazing picture quality. Im going to buy some archery netting and hopefully hang it 11 inches from the back wall. My ceiling is 8.5 feet high (which is tight) and the archery netting was going to be 9ft high x 13ft wide so there'll be about 6 inches loose on the ground (Is this enough ?) Archery netting in Europe is costing me approx €100 vs in the region of €900 for a HQ impact screen. I was not going to pull the screen at the sides, just let it hang. It wont be on rails and will remain in position permanently so hopefully hanging it tightly will mean i dont have to tension it from the sides. Does this sound it will work ok ?

    For the projector then, i've done a bit of reading up but its definitely a bit more complicated than i envisioned.

    What i know i want is the ability to run the Skytrak app on my phone (iPhone 7) and connect the phone to the projector and display the image on the screen so i presume i need a projector with a HDMI input

    Because of my ceiling height, i was hoping to be able to put the projector off to the side, maybe on a table, just behind the Skytrak. What do i need for this ? Just a projector with a horizontal and vertical capabilities (Lens shift is it ? Does it HAVE to have this) Or do i need a projector with Keystone correction ? Or both ? I presume not all projectors have this capability ?

    The projector will probably be 6ft back from the net but can go more if needed. Could really go back 10-15ft if needed but id probably be hitting from only 6 ft from the screen because of the ceiling height so i dont want to be in the way

    Obviously because i am projecting onto archery netting it will be a waste having a very high definition projector. Can anyone suggest a relatively budget projector that will suit my needs ? Maybe even a used one, in the UK/Eur ?

    Thanks for the help


  • #2
    What about this as a starter projector http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-EW610ST.htm ?

    3100 Lumens, 1280 x 800 resolution (only using archery netting so higher resolution might be wasted ?), vertical keystone (might be needed if sat on the floor) and the throw ratio would put the projector about 6' 9" back from the screen which is what i want i think (with my ceiling height of 8' 6" ill need to be about 6-7 ft back from the screen when hitting i reckon. Any further back and i think balls might hit the ceiling). Also has HDMI input to connect the iphone for Skytrak driving range app.

    I can get one relatively cheap 2nd hand.

    Does this like it'll do the job ? Is there anything im missing ? Its hard to find reviews but the few i do see say for "education and business environments". Does this mean its a non runner ?
    Last edited by U.P.O.; 05-15-2018, 04:50 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm guessing the "ed & biz environments" tag just means that the resolution isn't awesome for AV & gaming, and the latency might not be awesome either. You can check on both. While I was setting up my sim last week I had the projector on the stance mat just to get a feel for how it looked etc., and then played with the settings a lot while I was ceiling mounting it. My thoughts after this little bit of testing is that, while keystone correction works, I don't love it. It seems to change the focus and resolution of the image... enough so that I worked hard to get an image that didn't require using keystone... maybe I was missing something? IDK. The other point that comes to mind is that if you were planning/thinking of putting your projector off to the side, you'd need a horizontal version of keystone (not sure what that is called officially). I looked for it on my Optoma GT1080Darbee and couldn't find it, so I'm thinking it might be a less common feature. Anyway, I'd probably advise contacting an expert. BTW I have just 9' ceilings and my projector hangs scarily low with the mount that I bought... 7'6"! I'm starting to trust/get used to swinging with it there, but I'm worried about the eventual "wonky" swing that takes it out lol... I'm going to build a protective cage or something... hopefully before that happens I also hit from about 6-7 feet away, and that effectively takes the ceiling out of play, so at least that part is good for us short room people. Good luck!

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for the info. Yeah im finding it hard to find a projector with horizontal keystone at least in my budget

        Definitely finding choosing a projector the hardest part. It would be great to try out a few projectors so i can see do i really need to pay extra for more lumens, better contrast, what resolution do i actually need (bearing in mind i'll be using archery netting) etc... It's really all just guess work at the moment. Im really hesitant to pull the trigger on any projector at the moment because im really not confident on what i need.

        Yeah id definitely be worried about hitting an overhead projector too, thats why im trying to figure out if i can get it on the floor behind the skytrak - similar to this build https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...irst-sim-build

        I took about 70 swings last night with a 7 iron on my skytrak and my iphone and managed to hit the ceiling on one of them towards the end. I think i'll have to use my old driver for a while until i get used to it ! I think you'd definitely need a cage or something to protect your projector
        Last edited by U.P.O.; 05-17-2018, 09:53 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          8 1/2 foot ceiling? That’s rough.

          I used to do archery netting with my sky trak. I eventually switched to a screen since the pq wa so bad

          i highly recommend either doing the projector right, or not at all. Otherwise you will constantly be upgrading.

          nothing wrong with getting a tv and an Apple TV to airplay from your phone to the tv. Or a cheap laptop or old desktop.

          Comment


          • #6
            I have some archery netting ordered. This video persuaded me that it will (hopefully) be ok https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMu2qkaSUg&t=139s It definitely looks usable in that video. I saw a review on the particular archery netting i bought from someone who used it for a golf sim and was really happy with it so hopefully it will work out

            The 81/2 ft ceiling is pushing it alright. I find im having to hold off an the follow through of my swings.

            I emailed an engineer about maybe raising the center part of the bottom chord on maybe 5 trusses in the my garage out of 25 (like the image below). I havent heard back yet but from what i can see on line its not as straight forward as i hoped although some have managed it

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by U.P.O. View Post
              I have some archery netting ordered. This video persuaded me that it will (hopefully) be ok https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMu2qkaSUg&t=139s It definitely looks usable in that video. I saw a review on the particular archery netting i bought from someone who used it for a golf sim and was really happy with it so hopefully it will work out

              The 81/2 ft ceiling is pushing it alright. I find im having to hold off an the follow through of my swings.

              I emailed an engineer about maybe raising the center part of the bottom chord on maybe 5 trusses in the my garage out of 25 (like the image below). I havent heard back yet but from what i can see on line its not as straight forward as i hoped although some have managed it
              That's what I've done but I had to put two steel beams in to support the roof trusses. I've now got about 4m of swing height and a dilemma on what to do regarding projectors!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Braehead View Post

                That's what I've done but I had to put two steel beams in to support the roof trusses. I've now got about 4m of swing height and a dilemma on what to do regarding projectors!

                Thanks. Good to know it can be done.

                I still haven't heard back on a solution for me but i'm expecting the worst in relation to costs. I never thought of steel beams to support the trusses so at least thats another avenue i can explore

                For a projector, i gave up on putting it on the ground off to the side. Trying to find a HD projector with the correct throw and horizontal lens shift was impossible and even getting one with horizontal keystone that didnt cost a fortune wasn't happening so in the end i bought a Optoma GT1080. I figure if i place it directly over the ball, even with my low ceiling (if i cant raise it) its never going to get hit

                Comment


                • #9
                  It cost a few £K's but wasn't that bad. You can see the original truss against the wall so it's the same design as yours. Four bricks up above the truss and that's me at 3m of clearance. I think I'll need a telescopic mount though if I want to go for a ceiling mounted projector. If I go for a wall mounted one behind the hitting area then I'm extremely limited in options given the throw required.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Just saw your pictures of your build now in one of your previous posts. That ceiling height certainly is impressive ! Its a great space. Should be a fantastic build when done. Hope you and your daughter get great enjoyment from it

                    I would guess a ceiling mounted projector would be your best bet alright but im certainly no expert on projectors. I definitely found getting the projector to be the hardest part. My screen wont be here until Tues so i cant even definitively say how well my projector will work out but so far it looks great for movies on the wall in the house anyway

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The GT1080Darbee has a pretty great picture... you shouldn't be disappointed... As for the overhead positioning, you may have a problem... I know I do! We have approx the same setup. I had a rough time with the projector choice for the same reasons as you. I have a tiny bit more overhead room at 9' & I thought that with the mat directly underneath I would have no problems.

                      Wrong. Wrong Wrong! 9' ceiling maybe, but with the projector mounted the bottom of the projector is at about 7'6"... a LOT scarier. It's still not a problem for most swings, but it's a problem for the inevitable 'wonky' swing. Mine happened last night. I haven't had much SIM play because of time limitations, but I'm guessing I've done under 100 swings all told with all clubs... and last night a wonky PW follow through whacked the projector!

                      WHAM!! What a horrible sound that was lol... and the image when to about a 45degree angle and 1/3 off to the side LOL It seems to have lived to tell the story, though, because the image did not falter!!

                      The main damage is to my psyche lol... You can imagine what my next swing looked like ... I almost wiffed the ball, too haha

                      Anyway, I have to figure something out for the projector. I have to get it higher out of the way, and/or get it into a protected cage. I'd be interested to hear what your guy says re. getting more height. I've thought about doing it too but have not moved on that option.... YET...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by U.P.O.
                        What about this as a starter projector http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-EW610ST.htm ?

                        3100 Lumens, 1280 x 800 resolution (only using archery netting so higher resolution might be wasted ?), vertical keystone (might be needed if sat on the floor) and the throw ratio would put the projector about 6' 9" back from the screen which is what i want i think (with my ceiling height of 8' 6" ill need to be about 6-7 ft back from the screen when hitting i reckon. Any further back and i think balls might hit the ceiling). Also has HDMI input to connect the iphone for Skytrak driving range app.

                        I can get one relatively cheap 2nd hand.

                        Does this like it'll do the job ? Is there anything im missing ? Its hard to find reviews but the few i do see say for "education and business environments". Does this mean its a non runner ?
                        8'6" is the minimum height and I'll be touch and go with a driver. Make sure your projector isn't in the way.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by gnomike View Post
                          The GT1080Darbee has a pretty great picture... you shouldn't be disappointed... As for the overhead positioning, you may have a problem... I know I do! We have approx the same setup. I had a rough time with the projector choice for the same reasons as you. I have a tiny bit more overhead room at 9' & I thought that with the mat directly underneath I would have no problems.

                          Wrong. Wrong Wrong! 9' ceiling maybe, but with the projector mounted the bottom of the projector is at about 7'6"... a LOT scarier. It's still not a problem for most swings, but it's a problem for the inevitable 'wonky' swing. Mine happened last night. I haven't had much SIM play because of time limitations, but I'm guessing I've done under 100 swings all told with all clubs... and last night a wonky PW follow through whacked the projector!

                          WHAM!! What a horrible sound that was lol... and the image when to about a 45degree angle and 1/3 off to the side LOL It seems to have lived to tell the story, though, because the image did not falter!!

                          The main damage is to my psyche lol... You can imagine what my next swing looked like ... I almost wiffed the ball, too haha

                          Anyway, I have to figure something out for the projector. I have to get it higher out of the way, and/or get it into a protected cage. I'd be interested to hear what your guy says re. getting more height. I've thought about doing it too but have not moved on that option.... YET...
                          Ouch ! Glad to hear your projector survived. I'd say your next few swings were interesting alright !

                          I just put my whole set up together. The archery netting works surprisingly good as a screen. Still doing a bit of work on getting a bit more tension on the screen but i've been able to hit balls into it so far without any problems and the picture quality is really good.

                          I put my projector on the ground initially just to see how it would look on the archery netting (because i had no way to mount the projector yet) and then i came across a thing called a terrashield, which is basically a protective case for projectors https://www.amazon.com/All-Sport-Sys.../dp/B01KU6XAA0

                          I knocked up a quick version from some timber and plywood i had lying around the garage. Kept the height as low as possible. Drilled some holes in it for the cables and for ventilation. Cost me nothing and only took about 30 mins. Have a small off-cut of perspex on the way too from a friend who works in the signage business to protect the lens but no ball has come anywhere near bouncing back that far yet. Just have a 2x1 lying across the front to protect the lens for the time being. Looks a bit rough 'n ready at the moment as i didnt think it was going to be a permanent solution but having used it for a bit now and reading your story above i think i may stick with it (maybe just build a better/neater one)

                          I've yet to hit it, and if its placed a little in front of the mat and with an angled back it really doesn't get in the way of the ball or a swing. When you are on the mat, its only maybe 3 inches above the level of the mat. Having the projector on the ground also means its easy to get at and move it inside the house if i wanted it for a movie or something.

                          Havent heard anything back on raising the ceiling the height yet. I'll let you know if i do though

                          Comment


                          • gnomike
                            gnomike commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The terrashield is a great option if you can't manage it, i think. Before I mounted my PJ I had it sitting on the stance mat basically at my feet... That's kinda my problem wrt the terrashield... If I had even another foot to go back it would be possible, but sadly I am back to looking for a very low profile mount.

                            I also went back to the drawing board wrt projector choices... or tried to. I figured could always return mine and start again, but honestly after an hour of surfing my head was spinning from all the choices and factors to calculate etc!!!

                        • #14
                          Originally posted by Jgfarrington View Post
                          8'6" is the minimum height and I'll be touch and go with a driver. Make sure your projector isn't in the way.
                          Yeah driver swings are touch and go. I do find myself having to hold off the follow through. The backswing is fine though.

                          I have hit the ceiling twice (in about 200+ swings) so still using my old driver when on the sim. Would be great if i could raise it another 1 - 1.5 feet.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X