Projector placement, hitting distance, and screen size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projector placement, hitting distance, and screen size

I love this forum as there is a seemingly endless trove of information to read through. However, despite reading a ton and thinking about it for years, now that I am ready to move forward with a simulator build (taking down a wall as we speak to make it happen!) I am having a hard time figuring out what projector to get. It is simple enough to find a projector that meets a given set of specifications, but I keep second guessing where I should mount it and where we should hit from which makes it impossible to nail down the specs. I have 10 foot ceilings and the area I'm working with is about 14 feet wide. My current plan (I haven't bought anything yet so it remains flexible) is to get a 10 foot by 12 foot impact screen, mount it to the ceiling, and then run side netting on ceiling tracks on either side to catch errant shots. I'd mount something on the ceiling to protect it as well. That is where it gets sticky. The further back we hit from, the more balls will deflect off the ceiling, but the easier it would be to get a projector that would fill up the substantial 10x12 foot screen. If we move up closer, there is less issue with that, but the projector gets tougher.

Is anyone using a projector that they've mounted between 5 and 8 feet away from a screen around this size? Where do you hit from? Any advice would be helpful. I'm just spinning in circles here.

I have a 10 x 12 screen and project from about 8ft away. I have an Optoma GT1080e and it's mounted directly above the hitting area in the centre of the screen. That distance gives me a 9 x 12 image in 4:3 format. I don't bother with 16:9 for golf as you loose too much from the height with those dimensions. I have however mounted it on a 3ft sliding camera rail that gives me flexibility if I want to use 16:9 for movies and also meant I didn't have to be 100% accurate with the mounting distance in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by simmb View Post
      I have a 10 x 12 screen and project from about 8ft away. I have an Optoma GT1080e and it's mounted directly above the hitting area in the centre of the screen. That distance gives me a 9 x 12 image in 4:3 format. I don't bother with 16:9 for golf as you loose too much from the height with those dimensions. I have however mounted it on a 3ft sliding camera rail that gives me flexibility if I want to use 16:9 for movies and also meant I didn't have to be 100% accurate with the mounting distance in the first place.
      Thanks! From 8 feet, how often do you hit the ceiling/top netting?

Comment

Originally posted by OkieSpladle View Post

Thanks! From 8 feet, how often do you hit the ceiling/top netting?
        I only tend to hit it with a full out 60 degree wedge which is a shot I rarely use anymore. My next wedge is 56 degree and that mostly hits the top part of the net, very rarely it may hit ceiling on full out swings but nothing major.

Comment

My room dimensions require me to have the ball teed up 6 1/2 feet from the 8 x 15' screen. Is this ok?

Comment

Originally posted by slamp View Post
            My room dimensions require me to have the ball teed up 6 1/2 feet from the 8 x 15' screen. Is this ok?
            Depends on your swing but 6.5 feet away from the screen may feel a little tight. I used to have a setup in a marquee and that was 4m x 4m so I am guessing my hiiting position was not far off 6 1/2 feet and it did ruin my game and my back. I just didn't have the confidence on the follow through not to hit anything, think I tried to stop my follow through which really damaged my back. If you can get an extra half a foot it may make all the difference. As always though, what didn't work for me may well work out just fine for others we are all different.

Comment

Working...
            X