Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Request input from guys on GSF who know projectors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request input from guys on GSF who know projectors...

Hey guys- I am putting together my sim components and I have an opportunity to purchase a used Epson LCD projector (model # H535A). A pic of the label on the bottom of the projector is included below. I will be running a GC2 with TGC software and possibly Foresights FSX software on a higher end gaming computer projected to an approx 16' x 10' screen with 8' 9.5" ceilings in a natural light controlled basement. I have done a bunch of reading and research on this site on most components of the sim but I admittedly know NOTHING about projectors and what to look for. Can you guys please tell me:

1) Do you guys need any other information about my set up to answer the following questions, if yes I will be happy to quickly respond?
    2) Will this projector do a good to great job of projecting a nice bright sharp clear image on my screen?
    3) Will this projector allow me to project in 16 x 9 ratio which from my reading on this site is the way to go (I had duct work and gas lines moved in my basement to open up an entire 16' x 10' wall for my sim)? See pic below for the wall that is currently a temporary net to hit balls into but will become the wall with my sim screen.
    4) What do you think a good price would be for me to offer to purchase this projector used in good condition?

Thank you guys for your input... APPRECIATE IT!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181108_144336.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	169966
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20181109_121027.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	169967

Is this the powerlite Pro G6450WU? If so, I don't think this projector will work. First being, this projector appears to have to be centered onto the screen based on the epson website calculator. If your image starts at the floor, the projector would be 4'2" off the floor. The second, it looks like to get 16' width you would need to mount it at least 20'8" from the screen. Hopefully others can chime in and confirm or deny what I'm seeing.

Comment

In a effort to provide you guys with additional information I called Epson and confirmed that this unit is in fact an Epson PowerLite Pro G6450WU.
      Resolution: 1920 x 1200
      Lumens: 4500
      Here is a link to the Epson website with all the specs:

Get uncompromising image quality and professional-grade reliability with the PowerLite Pro G6450WU WUXGA large-venue projector with standard lens. Whether you're presenting in a conference room, auditorium, stage or house of worship, this powerful projector will keep your audience captivated. Incredible color brightness and WUXGA resolution means images are brighter, crisper and even more brilliant. Setup is a breeze with flexible, 360-degree installation and diverse connectivity options. You'll stay in control with remote management functions and easily adapt to the environment with six optional lenses. Edge-blending capabilities enhance the experience with panoramic images and integrated curves and corners. Point and arc correction ensures that rectangular images are never compromised. And for the ultimate presentation, 3D stackable solutions and low-cost glasses take it all to the next level.

Please let me know if there is anything else you guys need. Thanks again!
      Get uncompromising image quality and professional-grade reliability with the PowerLite Pro G6450WU WUXGA large-venue projector with standard lens. Whether you're presenting in a conference room, auditorium, stage or house of worship, this powerful projector will keep your audience captivated. Incredible color brightness and WUXGA resolution means images are brighter, crisper and even more brilliant. Setup is a breeze with flexible, 360-degree installation and diverse connectivity options. You'll stay in control with remote management functions and easily adapt to the environment with six optional lenses. Edge-blending capabilities enhance the experience with panoramic images and integrated curves and corners. Point and arc correction ensures that rectangular images are never compromised. And for the ultimate presentation, 3D stackable solutions and low-cost glasses take it all to the next level.

Comment

I think the quick answer is. NO, it will not work.

I just put your numbers through the "Projector Central" site and to get the screen size you want the unit needs to be mounted over 22 feet away from the screen. In addition, it looks like it has to be positioned almost centered on you screen, so you would be standing in the middle of the projected image.

I am NO expert, others will post if I'm incorrect.

Comment

But if you purchase a lens for it that will change your throw distance. See if any of the lenses on projector Central fit your preferred throw distance for the room. They generally are not cheap could cost as much as some new 1080 projectors. But the 4200 lumens you got is nice. Is that 4200 lumens of color too? That's important as commonly it's quoted as white brightness only. If you shrink your screen wishes, did you mean 16x10 feet or 16x10 ratio , anyway with a smaller screen you will get a Brighter Image and likely be able to have the projector fit that room better play around with different screen sizes and lenses on projectorcentral to see what you come up with and how many foot Lamberts that means the brightness off of your screen. I think you'd want to achieve at least 30 FL. Total darkness obviously you can get away with more. With your ceiling height you may have to put the projector off to the side and Keystone the image, but that keeps it on the ceiling since as others have pointed out the floor is a no-go probably.

Comment

I used Tierney Brothers to get my projector and they had the best prices for it and for the lenses. Get numerous quotes for the lenses, that stuff varies like used cars prices.

Comment

I went with a 15 widescreen and 9.5 High to retain the 16x10 native ratio. And that's how you're probably should manage picking your screen size. Within that ratio. However I'd be surprised if the projector could not do 16 by 9. But you have that enhanced resolution at 1200, that comes organically with the 16 by 10 ratio

Comment

It still doesn’t solve the issue of the projector needing to be mounted in middle of the image

Comment

• Solstice72
                  Solstice72 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How come obligated to the middle? Isn't it possible to offset the mount to the side and Keystone the image in?

According to both Epson and projector central, the projector looks to literally need to be centered directly in the middle of the image. I don't know that you can get far enough in either direction to keystone it and still have a decent image. It's kind of hard to explain without the image.

Comment

Well I can't say Im a Keystoning expert that's for sure. Keystoning does degrade the image. I have no idea how much in this case, trivial or deal breaking. Must be deal breaking your suggesting. It's too bad, hope some expert can keep that projector in play for him some how

Comment

Looking at something similar. The 16:10 and high lumens seem great. I have an Optoma 1080GT and I think the image is too washed out for a 170" diagonal screen (12ft wide). Looking at the epson website the projector would have to 3ft from the ceiling and 15ft from the screen for my setup. However, the lens shift is almost 5ft down meaning it can be mount flush to the ceiling and still project in the center of the screen.

Comment

• Solstice72
                      Solstice72 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, I'm at about 16 or 17 throw distance. I didn't want to to risk washout, and wanted to dip into fake 4k. IMO it will be fall 2020 about when an accessible 5000 lumen native 4k arrives. You'll want a high end graphics card too if you want want to stretch to 4k
                  Working...
                  X