Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @K_Scott12 (NET) and @Marc Andre & @Bradford (GROSS) winning the TGC 2018/2019 WINTER TOUR - Valspar Championship !

Join this weeks TGC 2018/2019 WINTER TOUR - World Golf Championship with 2 rounds at The Belfry - The Brabazon (ProTee) : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...f-championship AND the TGC 2019 SPRING TOUR - Corales Puntacana with 2 rounds at Sea Island C.C. (GA)-Seaside : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...ales-puntacana
See more
See less

4K projector owners???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4K projector owners???

How far is your projector from screen? My setup is 14x8 with a short throw 1080p 10’7” from screen. I’m looking at 4K and ran numbers through the projector distance calculator and the best is going to be 22’ from which won’t work for me. I didn’t consider any zoom options. Anybody have a distance closer to 18 or 19 feet?

Don't know if there are many out there with 4k yet but definitely would love to hear about those who do have it. I'm in a similar boat with regards to wanting 4k but not having the required throw distance once the house build is complete.
    Hoping 2019 CES will show some affordable 4k ST projectors.

Comment

I'm pretty sure mine is just over 18ft. I have vaulted ceiling so that helps a bit. My projector, Epson 5040UB, is at max zoom. Ideally I could get this closer to the screen but there was nothing affordable with a shorter throw. I'm hitting at about 15ft from the screen which causes other challenges. Technically, it UHD and not true 4K but nothing really is at this point.

Comment

• Snaphook
        Snaphook commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you have any pictures of your setup? I also have a vaulted ceiling and a new Epson on the way. How high is your pj placed?

I'm not quite sure what the actual question is but I'm probably around 20 feet (forget exactly) with the older Epson 5030 non 4k projector and when I replace it with a 4k I'll put the projector in the same spot as the old one. The picture will just look better. There's clearly not enough pixels for my screen size at 1080p.

Comment

I think it is safe to say there is currently no short throw 4k projector on the market...or st least any somewhat affordable.

Comment

Most 4ks on the market are still for theatre and thus for the screen sizes we are talking the choices are not good and the price would not be all that affordable for most. I think it might be a bit of a waste in any event at th moment as the next relevant question is lumens and since most are designed for theatre, the lumens would be sufficient for a dark environment.

Comment

Thanks I agree next year we should see some new products I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by sherrow70 View Post
              How far is your projector from screen? My setup is 14x8 with a short throw 1080p 10’7” from screen. I’m looking at 4K and ran numbers through the projector distance calculator and the best is going to be 22’ from which won’t work for me. I didn’t consider any zoom options. Anybody have a distance closer to 18 or 19 feet?
              hello Sherrow, i am very close to your 14x8 room/screen, should i consider the 4k projector you are talking about, i might have the 22' to screen, but wouldnt this create some shadows on the screen?

Comment

• sherrow70
                sherrow70 commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm going to wait for a better short throw. It to risky to buy one that has to be so far back. I'm sure this year we will see some new models that will fit our space.

One of the first 4K shorts throws.... Optoma 4k550ST, hopefully more will come out and prices will drop.

Comment

• BlechBOX
                BlechBOX commented
                Editing a comment
                Its nice to see some tech improvements in projectors as I feel the technology has been somewhat stagnant for golf sim purposes. Now we just need the prices to come down and the lumens to go up.

Originally posted by vrpunk View Post
              One of the first 4K shorts throws.... Optoma 4k550ST, hopefully more will come out and prices will drop.

Thanks for pointing this out! While this is ridiculously expensive at over $5,000, the throw ratio at 0.67 would work perfectly with my solution of wanting to have the projector somewhere around 11 feet away from my screen as my screen will be 16 ft wide. I definitely will monitor any price changes on this going forward.

Comment

• vrpunk
                vrpunk commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, keep a look out for a shop demo with about 200 lamp hours, they do become available, probably over the next 12-18 months.

Go with a 1920 X 1200 (16:10) WUXGA HD+ projector instead of a 4K. You get higher resolution than normal 1080p HD 1920 X 800 (16:9) and your image will be taller while still being plenty wide. In my opinion 16:10 is the best of both worlds. 4:3 is talk but not wide enough. 16:9 is nice and wide but the image is not tall enough. With WUXGA 16:10 you get tall and wide. And a WUXGA 1920 X 1200 projector has higher resolution than a 1080p HD (1920 X 800) projector.

The WUXGA resolution is less than 4K, but there are other big advantages to WUXGA over 4K. First of all, the WUXGA projectors are much less expensive than 4K. You can find an affordable WUXGA projector with 4,000 to 6,000 lumens of brightness for under $2K.

When you are projecting on to such large screens for golf sims you really need a lot of lumens (brightness). Not to mention the fact that you don’t want to be hitting balls in a pitch black room with no lights, so you need a projector with enough lumens so the image will still look great with a little light on the room. 4K needs a lot of lumens especially for really large screens. There aren’t any 4K projectors on the market under $4,000 with sufficient lumens to project on screens over 125” diagonal and not have a washed out image with a little ambient light.

There are 3 great WUXGA 16:10 (1920 X 1200) projectors with 5,000 lumens that I found at or under $1,500 with short throw lenses standard. Not ultra short throw but short throw. They can project a 16:10 image 12 feet wide X 7.5 feet tall from as close as 12 feet 10 inches. If you hit balls from 10 feet you shouldn’t cause any shadows.

The projectors are:

ViewSonic Pro8800WUL $1,5000

BenQ SU922 $1,500

Panasonic VZ580U $1,280

If you need to project significantly larger than 12’ X 7.5’ and you dont want your projector mounted much farther than 13 feet from the screen, look for a WUXGA projector that has multiple optional lenses available.

You can switch out the stock lens for a optional ultra short throw lens with a throw ratio around 0.65:1 and you will be able to mount the projector right at 10 feet 5 inches from the screen and project a 16 foot tall X 10 foot wide image. Those projectors that have multiple lens options will run you more than $1,500, but you will have the perfect set up.

I found a ton of $10k super high-end WUXGA business/entertainment projectors on eBay that fit the bill and they are selling for around $2,000 to $2,500. Many are barely used or brand new in the box B-stock with manufacturers warranties. There are also a bunch of ultra short throw lens (new and barely used) on eBay to go with them and they are listed for 30% of less of their retail prices.
              Last edited by EricOtown; 01-12-2019, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• vrpunk
                vrpunk commented
                Editing a comment
                Optoma WU515TST. With H and V lens shift so can be positioned higher and offset to the right/left so not in the swing plane if steep.....with no loss of image quality.

• BlechBOX
                BlechBOX commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for this post. I'm commenting just so i can find it later as a reminder.

• Aohare
                Aohare commented
                Editing a comment
                Do you have any model numbers for the multiple lens WUXGA projector from eBay that would suit. I also agree the WUXGA projector are the Best Buy currently, and the extra resolution over 1080 isa noticeable improvement.

EricOtown
              1080p resolution is 1920 x 1080... not 1920 x 800.

If you divide 1080 by 9 (the vertical aspect of 16:9), you get 120pixels.
              Similarly, if you divide 1200 by 10 (the vertical aspect of 16:10), you also get 120pixels. Technically a 16:10 projector is no ‘better’ than 16:9... just slightly taller.

Yes, a 16:10 projector will fill most impact screens better, but most decent 16:10 projectors are 2-3 times the price of a decent 16:9 one.
              Personally, my screen is 15ft x 8.8ft, so a 16:9 fits almost perfectly.

Comment

• vrpunk
                vrpunk commented
                Editing a comment
                Agree, I have made my screen 16:10 “ready” but run a 16:9 image by covering top with black valance, think 16:10 just gives a slightly better immersive feeling.....
                Ideally if money no object... 4k+ 5120x3200 can dream hehe.....then there’s 8k....

Originally posted by FaultyClubs View Post
              I'm not quite sure what the actual question is but I'm probably around 20 feet (forget exactly) with the older Epson 5030 non 4k projector and when I replace it with a 4k I'll put the projector in the same spot as the old one. The picture will just look better. There's clearly not enough pixels for my screen size at 1080p.
              Do you get any shadows from that distance?

Comment

Originally posted by MSUGOGRN View Post

Thanks for pointing this out! While this is ridiculously expensive at over $5,000, the throw ratio at 0.67 would work perfectly with my solution of wanting to have the projector somewhere around 11 feet away from my screen as my screen will be 16 ft wide. I definitely will monitor any price changes on this going forward.
                Did u get a PJ? I’m looking at same setup you mentioned.

Comment

• MSUGOGRN
                  MSUGOGRN commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The wife and I are actually building a house right now and it won't be completed until around September so just trying to keep up to date on what options there are. Probably will buy sometime this summer. Please keep us posted with what you go with. Those 16 x 10 options previously mentioned seem great but really want 4K.

Here just for the info..... thanks to all who post

Comment

Working...
                X