Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High-end projector worth the extra cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High-end projector worth the extra cost?

I've started researching projectors for a build with the QED launch monitor. So far, I know I want at least 4500 lumens because my stepdad's build had a 3000 lumen Optoma that I think looks a little too washed out, so I'm hoping the extra lumens fixes that. What I'm not sure about is whether stepping up to 4k resolution is worth it?

It looks like I can get a 1080p projector with around 5-6,000 lumens for the $1500-2000 range. Stepping up to 4k resolution almost doubles that price though. TV's have been 4k for a while now, our games all have 4k resolution, and we're standing 10 ft from a huge screen, which should make 4k even more noticeable compared to 1080p. Has anyone seen the difference? Is it worth it? I'm looking at something like the Optoma 4k550ST: https://www.optoma.com/us/product/4k550st/

I am currently at the phase of purchasing a projector for my uneekor build. I don't know if it is 4k but I am trying two options as one is about 500 dollars cheaper.

1. Optoma WU515T 6000 lumens. It must be mounted 17' 9" to fill my 16:10 screen which is 158" diagonal.

2. Optoma WU515TST 5500 lumens. It can be mounted 8' 8" away.

I feel either one will be bright enough. Yes I am currently have one order with HD vision works online as they were the cheapest for the T model he told me it was 2 weeks because he had to get it from the distributor if we Got together in order to Maybe he'd give us an even better price. His name is George it's HD vision works I think the T model was going for 1499 or 1799 I'd have to check.
    Hit em Straight Boys
    Putt-4-Doe

Comment

I purchased the 4k550ST and was told by Optoma HQ in Taiwan that the unit was withdrawn and my order was cancelled. Considering it was only on the market for a short time I believe that there must be a major reason for this. I then went to the 1080HDR instead and personally have mixed feelings about it but I believe setup is a lot of my issues. If i was doing it again I would be looking for something over 5000 lumens but also pay more attention to the positioning and the throw ratio.

I saw someone posted in the forum about an Epson 4k unit with interchangeable lense that gave them 4k with reasonable throw distance but the price was around $5k i believe. Not seen anything else with 4k and reasonable throw distances for cheaper.

Comment

Lumens are king esp with big screens. I couldn't get 5000+ lumens at 4k when I got my sim. I settled for 4k upshift faked. It's a modest improvement I think, but not killer. You always wonder what else is possible, so is a laser 4k high lumen one worth it, I dunno, as far as TGC2019 anyway.

Comment

Putt for Doe

I’m an Optoma dealer. Do not buy the wu515t unless you want your shadow on your screen.

I just received a demo of their new short throw laser. Wow it is awesome. I purchased it immediately. It isn’t 4K and I don’t care. 4K is so over rated. The human eye can barely notice the difference. It is a .5 throw, 4200 lumens and an amazing 300,000 to 1 contrast ratio. If you want an upgraded projector, this is it. But be ready to spend over $2k for it.

Comment

• Supraracer
            Supraracer commented
            Editing a comment
            I doubt 4k in our application will be that noticeable. The graininess of the screen material itself will negate some of that resolution. There is a big difference between screen material with just 1080p. The pixel density may be to tight for an impact screen.

• FaultyClubs
            FaultyClubs commented
            Editing a comment
            Pixels are huge on my 10ft wide screen with 1080p. Many times the limit of human resolution from 10 ft away and many more times the size of any "graininess" in my HQ screen. 4K isn't even close to the limit if the screen is good.

• JackedUpSwing
            JackedUpSwing commented
            Editing a comment
            It's the screen that is the limiting factor. The difference between 4k and 1080p is negligible because impact screens arent perfectly smooth. So the texture always is visible.

Ended up going with that Optoma ZH406ST. Thanks for the news about it bionic! Will report back in a few weeks after I'm all setup. Only $1799 actually!

Comment

• Jtangm04
            Jtangm04 commented
            Editing a comment
            Love to hear your thoughts on this projector once you have it installed.

With most projector specs lumens and contrast ratios are overstated, but this one does seem ideal for golf sim if it can do a 16:10 or 4:3 ratio.

• bionicboogerboy
            bionicboogerboy commented
            Editing a comment
            You won’t be disappointed. I bought a second for my home sim. You can basically leave it on all the time. It won’t overheat.

• Jtangm04
            Jtangm04 commented
            Editing a comment
            Is there a lens shift on this model or only keystone?

Hi there , how are you liking the Laser Projector? Worth it ?

Comment

• ryanjms
            ryanjms commented
            Editing a comment
            Probably won't be able to answer for a couple of weeks. Just getting everything together now and expect to be done setting it up next weekend.

Also would like to hear how you get on with the ZH406ST, they are in short supply in Europe and I am considering upgrading to this machine but no one has one as yet here , so a first hand report would be great to hear....good luck with your build....

Comment

Subscribed ..... I'd like to know how it works out

Comment

Initial impressions are that it is very nice. Plenty bright and I like that it’s laser with no messing with lamps in the future.

Comment

• ryanjms
                ryanjms commented
                Editing a comment
                It's 4200 lumens, so like 40%?

• Jodymac77
                Jodymac77 commented
                Editing a comment
                Now that you've had a little time with this projector, what are your thoughts? Is it worth the extra money? Any pics you could post?

• Supraracer
                Supraracer commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm curious as well.

Looking to purchase the ZHZH406ST. Can anyone confirm if it an be displayed in 16:10? Would prefer it to fit the 16'x10' screen.

Comment

Working...
              X