Long throw shadow question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Millertyme
    Junior Member
    • Jan 2020
    • 17

    #1

    Long throw shadow question

    I am looking into possibly using a long throw projector behind me instead of the more popular short-throw route. I will be projecting on a 16:9 (13x8 ft) screen and have a little over 20 feet of depth and 11 ft high ceilings to work with. The panasonic pt-vz580 seems like a popular choice, am I correct in thinking if i mount this ~20ft away 7 or 8 feet in the air on a shelf I can get the picture onto the screen using some of the adjustments but since the bottom of the projection will be 7 or 8 feet in the air there will be no shadows?
    One other related question is how would a 10ft deep enclosure impact that?
    https://www.carlofet.com/shop/golf-s...2+%287.7x13%29 for example

    Thanks
  • CHansen157
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2019
    • 116

    #2
    There will be shadows if you mount it 20 ft away at only 7 or 8 feet in the air. An easy way to test, other than getting out graphing paper and diagraming it out, will be to put a flashlight up about where you want to put the projector, turn the lights down, and take your stance. If you throw a shadow on the hitting area with a flashlight you will with a projector too.

    Comment

    • VenturaHacker
      Member
      • May 2019
      • 68

      #3
      I’ve also run a piece of string from the proposed lens location to the bottom of the screen, then take your stance and see where the string passes related to your body.

      Comment

      • abirdie4me
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2016
        • 169

        #4
        I have that projector, currently sitting on the floor because the HDMI inputs went out. It still works via Component Video input, but that doesn’t do me any good. Debating trying to find someone local who can repair it or just biting the bullet and upgrading to 4K while I’m at it.

        And yes, you will get shadows. Loved the image quality and good brightness, but shadows did bother me.

        Comment

        • HeelMD
          Junior Member
          • Jun 2018
          • 25

          #5
          The string method works well for estimating shadows. I verified it with my buddy’s work projector. Was useful, I now know I prefer a short throw setup

          Comment

          Working...