Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @braycobb (NET) and @beau lester (GROSS) winning the TGC1 2020 SPRING TOUR - Valero Texas Open !

Join this weeks TGC1 2020 SPRING TOUR - Masters Tournament with 3 rounds at Magnolia National 2016 (ProTee) : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...ers-tournament
See more
See less

I'm an idiot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm an idiot

Well it was bound to happen. A mistake that can't be easily fixed on this new sim build. So far it was going to easily. So now I'm hoping the creative minds on this forum can help brainstorm an easy solution.

Here's the issue: my projector ended up too close to the screen so now the projected image does not fill the screen. I bought an Optoma1080 Darbee and really love it and the image quality but at 6' 3" throw distance and 114" height, it doesn't fit my screen width of 134" inches and height of 100". At 16:9 it's too wide and doesn't reach the bottom. At 4:3 it's too narrow and doesn't reach the bottom. I'm not concerned with there being too much black space on the top or sides of the image but really want the image to come all the way to floor. So my question is: how can I get the image to project to the floor, and without moving the projector? Willing to get a new projector if that's the only option.

Couple solutions I tried already but didn't work:
    1) tilt the projector downward. Didn't work bc keystone made it look awful.
    2) No way to zoom with the projector
    3) Cant move forward bc black space at bottom expands
    4) Couldn't find a different projector on projector Central that can meet the criteria while being under $1k

Any thoughts? Help me solve this puzzle.

A. Your screen is literally 4:3 (134"/100") Therefore, choose 1440x1080 as your resolution.
    B. That projector lens should be 7'3" from the screen for a 100" tall image, if calculated correctly by optoma.
    C. After you get the right resolution and distance to screen, play with the height before mounting it again. Verify the results. You can make this work!

Edit: Why can't you change the mounting location? The right mount can span between joists and is adjustable. The image base will get lower and wider as you move the projector away from the screen. If you are set on your distance to screen, 6'3", you will only get an 85" tall image. It will not get closer to the floor.
    Last edited by Will; 03-24-2020, 05:08 AM.
    Uneekor QED
    Epson L1300UNL / ELPLU03 Lens (8000 Lumen Laser 2160P, 0.65 Throw Ratio)
    Dell P4317Q (2160P) x2
    HP Omen 875-1022 (2080 TI / 9900k / 16GB)
    The Golf Club 2019
    Par2Pro Stealth Screens

Comment

• JakeGeezy
      JakeGeezy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the thoughts (particularly resolution). I can't move the projector, unfortunately (well, I can but rehealllllly don't want to as it will take a lot of work). I built a drop ceiling to hide the projector and PC and the projector is as far back as it can go. I measured it to be 7' 3" from the wall, which was absolutely perfect, BUT I didn't take into consideration that the screen would be one foot from the wall which leaves me with only 6' 3" from the screen.....I'm an idiot.

Is there a vertical keystone correction in the projector menu, I'm not sure if you meant keystoning the image with the projector still didn't work or you hadn't used the feature or it didn't correct it enough.

Comment

• JakeGeezy
      JakeGeezy commented
      Editing a comment
      I did try keystoning vertically and it made it look awful. I'm going to keep fiddling with it, but so far it just doesn't work as it should.

Move it back a foot or so until it's in the right spot?

Comment

• JakeGeezy
      JakeGeezy commented
      Editing a comment
      I wish I could do this. This would literally solve everything. Unfortunately, I can't move it without re-doing almost everything (wiring, drywall, framing etc.). I'm throwing up and crying a little bit as I type that.

Is mounting the projector on the floor an option? (if a floor mount allows you to move it backwards a foot)

Comment

• JakeGeezy
      JakeGeezy commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes its an option, but I would likely re-do everything before putting it on the floor. Good thought.

Are you using a projector mount? I built a custom mount enclosure that gave me some wiggle room (approximate 6") If you have a photo of the mount, there maybe a way to modify or make a custom mount.

Comment

• JakeGeezy
      JakeGeezy commented
      Editing a comment
      No projector mount. There is a spot within the drop ceiling that the projector sits on. The projector is as far back in the drop ceiling as it can go. I will try to post a photo.

Its hard to tell in the picture bc everything is covered in black carpet but you can see at the top where the white projector is peeking out.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Will
      Will commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you decide to install this projector correctly or try to buy a projector with zoom and vertical lens shift?

Also, you would need a 16:9 projector with a .42 zoom lens. ( that optoma has a .49 )
      Last edited by Will; 03-25-2020, 04:26 PM.

• JakeGeezy
      JakeGeezy commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know on the zoom lens. If I installed it correctly and had 7’3” to the screen it would be perfect. But I don’t have that room.

Have you thought about moving the screen back? I know the general thinking is a foot clearance, but you might find others on this forum that have gotten away with less, for example by hanging moving blankets behind. Also, really out of the box, but what about a strip of green material to cover the bottom part of the screen? Just FYI, I have the same strip at the bottom of my screen, after a short while, it no longer bothered me.

Comment

Working...
    X