BenQ LK953ST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BenQ LK953ST

My permanent sim room is shaping up, and I’m considering a projector upgrade before I mount my old Optoma GT 1080. I have the computer horsepower to run 4K no problem, and ideally I also get enough lumens to not have to worry about ambient light a ton. It seems like options are limited when it comes to short throw, but this projector seems to check all the boxes. Does anyone have experience with it? Good alternative options otherwise?

Upgraded from a BenQ 2150st which was a great projector but easily washed out with ambient light. I mounted the lk953st from 9.5 feet which projects a bit smaller, however, an impressive upgrade. I got it refurbished from BenQ 6 months ago. Happy with the upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by domino View Post
      Upgraded from a BenQ 2150st which was a great projector but easily washed out with ambient light. I mounted the lk953st from 9.5 feet which projects a bit smaller, however, an impressive upgrade. I got it refurbished from BenQ 6 months ago. Happy with the upgrade.
      Awesome! I ordered one last week, mine should be in late this week. Looking forward to it! How is the resolution?

Comment

I can only compare the 2150st to the lk953st in my particular installation. I will say that it is a significant upgrade. How much is due to 5000 lumens versus resolution, I can't say. I also use my projector as a tv/movie room and my kids play video games on the screen. I think you'll be impressed.

Comment

It came in on Thursday, won't see the mount til Monday though. Man, it is HUGE compared to my Optoma!

Comment

I purchased the BenQ LK953ST which is a pixel shifting 4K that had the perfect short throw ratio for my room. I have FSX 2020, E6 Connect and TGC 2019 using a Foresight GC2a launch monitor. I am using the Carl's Premium impact screen configured as 13' wide by 9' tall in a room that is 13 wide x 17 feet long and has no windows for perfect lighting control. My projector is ceiling mounted about 10" from the screen. When ceiling mounting the projector, I was able to use great lens shifting features to property mount and square the projector to the screen so I did not have to use the keystoning feature which adds distortion.

Overall I agree with some of the other early 4K postings in that the impact screen definitely takes away from the 4k resolution maybe as much as 25-30%. I also have a n LG 65' 4K OLED monitor to the right side for shot data and video feedback (see pic below) so I can compare a native 4kOLED to the 4K projector image. This is why I decided to pull the trigger on a pixel shifted 4k unit instead of paying a huge premium for a short throw native 4k projector like the Sony. When I compare Pebble Beach TGC 2019 with E6 Connect's version you can see the finer details in the TGC 2019's graphics so I would also agree that TGC 2019 ranks slightly higher in graphics quality than E6.

But when you factor in the E6 play-ability features, I think E6 overall is the best current sim software in the market with a much more committed R & D effort to improving their products. I find myself playing E6 the most and we will likely end up using this in our TPC neighborhood winter golf league where we will link 3-5 sim rooms together for local play. Compared to the 671ST which I loved, the 953ST is soo much brighter and most resolute. I would subjectively say that I improved the graphics by 100% but not by 200% as you would expect going from 1080P to 4K.

When I get some time, I hope to do a more detailed 4k write up for our sim forum users with video and pics.

Thanks,

Greg Colley

Attached Files

Comment

Greg, what an impressive set up. Congrats!! A few questions if you don't mind, we are considering upgrades.
              Running Uneekor QED with TGC2019, very happy with their product.

1. We are looking at upgrading our Optoma 1080Darby. Our screen is 16:10 currently running 16:9 and looking to fill the entire screen with a native 16:10. Laser, 4k plus lumens and 4k resolution and we require a .5 throw ratio. What resolution are you running?
              2. We have a Country Club Elite mat which is hard on the joints. How do you like your True Strike?
              3. I love the LG 65 4k set up. We currently have a 23 touch screen monitor. We just upgraded to the Uneekor Swing Optix video analysis system. It is difficult to see on the 23 inch display. I assume you use this as your PC display?

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Hi:

I am running in full 4K resolution at 60fps with a 16 x 9 aspect ratio. My graphics card is an RTX 2080ti pushing 2 4K outputs to the PJ and the LG 65” OLED. The LG is for shot data and video mostly.

The current throw limitations in 4K projectors may require you to buy a model with a separate lens option that matches your throw requirements and that of course adds significant expense to the projector. I just happened to get lucky that the throw ratios of the BenQ LK953ST met my room needs. I purchased the PJ as a factory refurb unit with a warranty for $3,600.

Currently there are still 4K graphics limitations with any of the top software sim products in the market so I’m just not sure you can justify the cost of a projector costing $10K and up for only a marginal improvement in resolution beyond what I now get with the pixel shifted 4K laser...

Hope that helps...

thanks,

Greg

Comment

Sorry I just realized I did not answer your question about the Truestrike mat.

I have owned and used almost all of the top mats and I can tell you that none compare to the realism of hitting off the Truestrike gel mat design. In addition to the divot action that you get with the gel base mat, I really like that the overall hitting feel matches the feel on our course fairways almost identically.

thanks,

Greg

Comment

have you tried the soft strike mat that jay the you tube reviewer uses?

Comment

Working...
                    X