Sim Help

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • rgolfer
    Junior Member
    • Jan 2021
    • 2

    #1

    Sim Help

    Hello, I was posting to see if I could find someone nice enough to help me with some calculations choosing a projector. I am building a sim in an area of my basement that has the floor lowered. My space is 10' high 15' wide and about 20' long. I think I am using the throw calculators wrong--or just choosing the wrong projectors all together. I would like to hit from about 8 to 10 feet with the projector above. I have not completely decided on a monitor just yet; however, the overhead monitors have my attention. Could anyone with an overhead monitor share their projector placement? I was wondering if the projector would have to go in front of the monitor.
  • JayJo13
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2020
    • 210

    #2
    If you go with a short-throw, it should be mounted over your hitting area, which works well. My space is similar to yours. My ceiling is 10.5 feet and my screen is 13'x7.7' with my tee 10.5 feet from the screen. My projector is mounted about 80" from the screen. I have an Optoma1080. You can figure out specific projector mounting locations using this site https://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...ulator-pro.cfm

    This should also give you room for an overhead monitor (EYEXO or QED). There are installation details on Uneekor's website. Not sure what the specs are for a GCHawk.
    Last edited by JayJo13; 01-11-2021, 02:06 PM.

    Comment

    • rgolfer
      Junior Member
      • Jan 2021
      • 2

      #3
      Thanks for the reply. Are you running 16:9 aspect ratio on your setup? Is there a reason you kept your screen at 7.7' instead of closer to the ceiling height? Thanks again.

      Comment

      • JayJo13
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2020
        • 210

        #4
        Yes, I have a 16:9 aspect ratio and I didn't really consider anything else. 16:9 is standard everywhere and the native resolution of almost everything these days. 16:10 would be nice but I couldn't get that work. My setup is in my garage and the issue I had was I needed to be able to open and close the garage door when the sim is setup so the 13'x7.7' fits perfectly and allows the garage door to open up.

        Comment


        • FierceVibe
          FierceVibe commented
          Editing a comment
          JayJo13 - Sounds like you have the DIY Enclosure from Carl's. True? I'm looking at the same. Two questions: Do you have the 5' or 10' extension? I'd like to do 5' but know it's not high enough, so I'd be looking at hitting from farther out.

          Also: What simulator do you use? I'm thinking SkyTrak but have seen it is 4:3 - that may just be the SkyTrak driving range, though. Don't know if TGC on SkyTrak can go 16:9.

        • 3on3putt
          3on3putt commented
          Editing a comment
          TGC can do just about any resolution you want.
      • JayJo13
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2020
        • 210

        #5
        My enclosure is 5' deep, which is plenty. 10' seemed like overkill to me.I also have a Mevo+ for a launch monitor. I do know of guys that use Skytrak with 16:9, I know for sure TGC2019 works well 16:9 as does E6. I'm sure the SkyTrak range can be displayed 16:9 as well.

        Comment


        • FierceVibe
          FierceVibe commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome. Thank you.

        • FierceVibe
          FierceVibe commented
          Editing a comment
          JayJo13, one follow up: Do you think the fabric on the ceiling of that Carl's enclosure you have is strong enough to withstand repeated hits by your lob wedge on a long-term basis?

        • JayJo13
          JayJo13 commented
          Editing a comment
          It seems to be holding up very well so far. You could always add some extra protection up there. Not sure how you would do it but I'm sure it could be done.
      Working...