Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flightscope Xi + Taylormade - Can I play golf? What data can I expect? Any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flightscope Xi + Taylormade - Can I play golf? What data can I expect? Any advice?

So I sold my skytrak and picked up a Flightscope Xi+ Taylormade Tour Preferred unit.
    ​​​​​​
    I get the unit working with my iPad, and I have time to hit a single half wedge shot. My space is limited, it was perfect for a Skytrak, and in theory works with short indoor mode. So I hit my half wedge, and I got all the data available from the Xi Tour (club path, club Plane, etc etc) I turned off the unit since I had to get my kids in bed. The next day I set it up to let my 3 year old play (he loves the target practice, he asks me to setup the tablet for him, he loves hitting on the green!) so I watched him hit, and I got the ball speed, carry, roll, total distance lateral, time, spin, spin axis, V Launch, H Launch, V Descent, and Height. I hit a few and got the same data. I'm guessing I didn't get club data because there wasn't a direct line from the unit to my club at the time. But I'm still curious if anyone else has this unit and knows what data I should be getting? Also, if correct setup will affect what data I get?

I will be going to galaxy tomorrow to try it on the open bay with plenty of space.

My other question is can I play E6 or other golf software using my taylormade flightscope? I want to set it up to get a small league going for my friends (I know putting doesn't really work, but it would still be fun) I'm going to contact flightscope as well, but I figured there must be other guys out there with toys same unit.

Any advice on setup or information for a new user would also be appreciated

​​​​​

Indoors or outdoors doesn't effect the collection of the club data, only ball data. Xi+ might give club head speed but it doesn't give all the full club data so don't expect anything more outdoors than you got indoors. To get full club data you'd need to upgrade to the Xi Tour level functionality - which actually can be done with the Xi+ units so no need to change hardware. You'd just have to call up Flightscope, pay the upgrade cost (sorry, don't know what it is - I think around $3k) then they can unlock that functionality in your unit.

Well, I'm assuming that the Taylormade branded unit has the same functionality as the regular Xi+. If that's not the case, you'd have to contact flightscope support to clear things up.

You can play E6 v1.6 (E6 connect integration for anything but the X3 has not yet been done last I checked). No putting or chipping. Anytime you get near the green it will auto-complete the hole for you - wont even give you a chance to try and chip.

Also pretty sure JNPG also supports the Xi+/Xi tour as another possibility.
    Last edited by StuartG; 02-25-2019, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Club data availability varies with Xi+. I PM'd you about this. Nothing illegal I assure you.

Comment

• StuartG
        StuartG commented
        Editing a comment
        Not challenging whether it is or not - but if isn't what's the point of the PM? Why not just put the information here in the thread so everyone can benefit from it instead of just the OP?

I just don't want to lose it myself! Just not sure if this is the safest place to divulge this info hahaha

However, I suppose it won't hurt and since you asked:

If you open the software before turning on the Flightscope, several club data parameters show up on my screen (swing path, face to path, face to target). At least on my laptop with the PC software. Although, with the PC software on my desktop, the only extra data parameter that shows is club path.

The only difference between the two computers is Windows 7 vs. Windows 10??? So I'm not sure why one shows more than the other??? Very confusing.

With all of this said, the second I try to switch screens, all the club data will disappear. So It's very limited, but serves a good purpose and assists me.

Comment

There are TaylorMade Versions of the Xi+ that were produced prior to the release of the Xi tour. They are fully unlocked giving you all the data points of the Xi tour, these are labeled as Tour Preferred. Then there were TaylorMade Xi+ versions that were made available to TaylorMade fitters and these were labeled at Tuned Performance which don't include all the club data.

The Flightsope has to be properly aligned with the target line to get accurate club data.

Comment

That's what I think I have. Mind you, I ordered it directly from Flightscope via their Canadian rep. Under club settings, there is an option to select a TM R11.... Which leads me to believe that I possibly have one of those versions?????

Comment

Thank you all for the help!

So I figured out (at least I think I did) what the difference was. I'm hitting in a small space in my front room. When I put the flightscope towards the right side of my hitting mat, there is nothing to interfere with the flightscope. When I position my mat in the middle of my room, the flightscope is positioned so there is a wooden railing kind in between the top of my swing and the flightscope. When I go into my local golf store, there is a lot more space, so I get all the data all the time. I get it at home now that I know what the issue was.

Sometimes the spin numbers are off, but overall I am very impressed. I am using short indoor in a space that isn't quite big enough, but the data I'm getting is better than I got from my skytrak. It seems very accurate for hitting indoors on a golf mat.

I compared the flightscope to the GC2, and the club and ball data were pretty similar. Sometimes the ball data was different. but I think if I got the reflective stickers for the ball the flightscope would be even better than the GC2. Without them, the GC2 seemed to be a little more consistently accurate than the flightscope. Has anyone else compared them at the same time? The club data from the flightscope was far superior to the club data estimates from the GC2 (as expected)

Comment

• StuartG
              StuartG commented
              Editing a comment
              You mean GC2 w/ HMT? GC2 by itself doesn't measure any club data, so if there is no HMT then Flightscope will always be more accurate for club data. It might show a club head speed but that's just calculated from ball speed using a fixed smash factor - so not something that anyone should pay any attention to (or have any kind of expectations about accuracy).

• crono7x
              crono7x commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah sorry for not clarifying, I meant the GC2 estimations since they don't have HMT. Ball data seemed fairly accurate with the GC2 though. I'm excited to try flightscope with the stickers, seems like the only way to use it at home/indoors. (can't really use them on the range it seems, that would get expensive fast)

• StuartG
              StuartG commented
              Editing a comment
              If gc2 club speed is accurate for you, it's just pure luck that your impact conditions happen to match their assumptions ;-)

And stickers are not needed on the range. Flightscope will get accurate spin data w/o them from tracking the ball flight a lot further than it can indoors.

You must use the stickers if you want spin data inside. Without it it won’t measure properly because there is not enough room.
            GC2 Eastern Time Zone, USA

Comment

• StuartG
              StuartG commented
              Editing a comment
              You'll still get spin data inside w/o the stickers. It's not as accurate w/o the stickers so not ideal, but assuming a proper set-up (at least the minimum space for unit to tee and tee to screen) the numbers are typically still fairly reasonable. Just tend to be a bit more inconsistent. Some lower quality mats can actually have a greater effect on the spin than leaving the sticker off the ball.
              Last edited by StuartG; 03-19-2019, 08:41 AM.

You won't get the spin rate without the stickers, at least not measured, you will get an estimation most times. Which can be way off depending on your angle of attack, impact location and your swing characteristics, you often get 4000 rpm spin rate estimations with an 18° launch angle with the driver without the stickers instead of mid 2000s with the stickers, big difference in total distance calculation between the two. Flightscope has added the option of getting the * next to the spin number again when the spin isn't measured. They had taken it away in one of their software updates a while back, at least on the pc software, not sure on the vx app how it is now, they use to have it there too but from memory they also removed it on vx at the same time as the pc software.

As for the Flightscope vs GC2 comparison I have done months of testing between the two units simultaneously before I sold the GC2. I kept the Flightscope only because I got the club data and the unit sits behind the golfers so I don't have to move it for LH golfers during a fitting.

Ball speed and launch angle are very very close between the two. Spin on Flightscope is only good if you have enough ball flight, with 24 feet of ball flight the two are very very close again, but not when you only have around 10 feet.

Where the GC2 wins all day long vs flightscope indoor, even with 24 feet of ball flight, is on shot shape, it will hold its own on a regular draw or fade most times, but it can't read a big hook or a big slice like the GC2 can.

So for anyone who considers simulation a priority, I would never get Flightscope over GC2.

Comment

Hey sorry to bring this back. Just wondering if anyone knows if there’s a difference between the xi tour and the xi tour tm tour preferred? Interesting that the old xi+ tm tour preferred is the same as the xi tour.

Comment

Had a Flightscope Xi+ previously and to be honest i tested it versus other LM with and without stickers and most of the time it read just fine without stickers. I ended up hitting without stickers and only used them when i was fitting clubs for clients as an extra precaution.

Congrats, chosing a great unit.

Comment

XiTour recalibration and issues with WiFi connection. Can anyone let me know if recalibration with FS is possible? Also, if anyone have issues with WiFi and how to fix? Thank you in advance

Comment

Working...
                  X