Mevo+ and Short Indoor Ballspeeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mevo+ and Short Indoor Ballspeeds

So I've been having some interesting results with my Mevo+ I am 7.5 Feet from the mevo and 9.5 feet from the screen. My ballspeeds for my 3-wood are around High 150s low 160s and yet my driver is in the low 160s. I find this very very strange because the driver is 45" and the 3 wood was cut down an inch from standard at 42"

The driver swing speeds are 5-10mph faster than the 3 wood

The carry distances are within 10 yards of each other unless i really catch a low spinner with the driver and then I get about 20-30 yards difference.

Is this a limitation on my space? Is the mevo just not picking up enough to give an accurate reading for the driver? Or am I just super efficient with the 3 wood.

Unless you have data from another device to compare it to, it's hard to say.
    I found my Mevo+ ball speed numbers are near identical to Skytrak, so in my case there's good comparable accuracy there.

Comment

For what it’s worth that is basically my life as measured on multiple devices.

My 3w swing speed is about 103-106 and pretty consistent ball speeds in the mid 150s.

My driver swing speed is 105-110 and ball speeds are high 150s Most of the time.

I’m perpetually steep so 3w often reacts better to me as I’m hitting down on a club built to be hit down on whereas driver I’m hitting down on a club meant to be hit up on. According to my very patient club fitter.

When I really exaggerate hitting up with driver I can occasionally hit up 1-2* and I gain ball speed and 20 yards immediately with the same swing speed. The difference from 2* down to 2* up for me is huge with driver whereas 2* down with 3w is about right (although I’m often 4* down with 3w).

Comment

Maybe look at your smash factor. If its higher with the 3w, you are making better contact.. could be your 3w just fits you better and your driver isnt optimized.. meaning spin/launch aren't optimized to take advantage of the speed.. too much driver spin can be a distance killer, or maybe you launch too high or low with driver. Also knowing with indoor radar spin can be a little suspect, you may not be getting completely reliable spin numbers for the driver..

Ever been fitted for driver? Could be a fitting will tweak/optimize driver numbers if.you havent ever done a driver fitting with a good fitter.. best investment I've made is a driver fitting.. simply replaced stock shaft with a $175 reasonably priced aftermarket, tweaked the loft, gained 10-15 yds.

Comment

Originally posted by Gresh12 View Post
          For what it’s worth that is basically my life as measured on multiple devices.

My 3w swing speed is about 103-106 and pretty consistent ball speeds in the mid 150s.

My driver swing speed is 105-110 and ball speeds are high 150s Most of the time.

I’m perpetually steep so 3w often reacts better to me as I’m hitting down on a club built to be hit down on whereas driver I’m hitting down on a club meant to be hit up on. According to my very patient club fitter.

When I really exaggerate hitting up with driver I can occasionally hit up 1-2* and I gain ball speed and 20 yards immediately with the same swing speed. The difference from 2* down to 2* up for me is huge with driver whereas 2* down with 3w is about right (although I’m often 4* down with 3w).
          One of the best, and perhaps overlooked, advantages of the Mevo+ over Skytrak is that Mevo+ provides AoA... soooo helpful for working on driver swing for the reasons you stated above..

Comment

My 3w is super hot compared to my driver. I'm regularly in 152-160 with my 3w and 155-162 with my driver. It's sort of driving me nuts but I think it's me, not the M+.

Comment

• Aapo
              Aapo commented
              Editing a comment
              You might be releasing it too early, meaning you don't really get much more swing speed with a longer shaft. Smash factor should be pretty much the same with driver and 3-wood. My swing speed with 3w is around 105-106 mph and my driver is 110. Ball speed with 3w is around 155 and 163-165 with driver.

I can say look at AoA as that is probably causing a lot more spin on the driver. Also smash factor is a good gauge of center face contact so you might be missing more with your driver.

Check the launch angle for shots hit with the driver, if it's 28.3°, it might be a complete misread causing shorter distance

Comment

Originally posted by DS12 View Post
              I can say look at AoA as that is probably causing a lot more spin on the driver. Also smash factor is a good gauge of center face contact so you might be missing more with your driver.

Check the launch angle for shots hit with the driver, if it's 28.3°, it might be a complete misread causing shorter distance
              I'm going to go hit some today and maybe you are right about the angle of attack and my Driver. I've been seeing launch in the single digits on my driver and maybe that has everything to do with the ballspeeds and distances being very similar.

Thanks guys for all the responses!

Comment

• Gresh12
                Gresh12 commented
                Editing a comment
                Low launch often result of hitting down. Also can be striking ball low on the face (use foot powder to check). Both hitting down and low face strikes produce low launch and high spin (the opposite of what you want with driver but more appropriate with 3w within reason).

I know these shots well and the worst part is they often feel super solid. The balls I hit up on and higher on the face don’t feel as good but go way further. The analogy I was given is that if I feel the solid impact that’s the club absorbing the force and feeding it back to me. The ones I barely feel are the ball absorbing the force and taking off. There may be no physics to back that but it’s held true in my experience.

This might sound weird but there is extensive research behind it.
              shortening the shaft of the driver from 45 inches to 44 inches will in fact increase average driver distance and also result in more fairway hits. Shaft length adds very little to swing speed compared to what the shorter shaft adds to improved impact/smash.

in order to play consistently with a 45 inch driver you need to have a super smooth swing. Most of the PGA players actually use shorter drivers today.

When I fit a driver for a client this is the first thing I look at. And when the client has a 45 inch driver I know I can make one that is both longer and straighter.

mind you that you need to add a lot of weight to the head in order to maintain shaft bend profile and moi-value
              Last edited by Brutaly; 04-14-2020, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• Gresh12
                Gresh12 commented
                Editing a comment
                I second this as something to look at. I went from 45.5” to 44” and picked up swing speed plus more consistent contact. Before this change I was about to just live with 3w as my longest club. Driver is now definitely longer but only marginally until I hit up on it then it’s miles longer.

I have not hit on the mevo+ yet but have hit on just about every other LM and I can tell you that some like high launch off the driver (gc2) and some hate it (TM4.l..I practise lots on HD golf and I only hit my driver about 20 past my 3 wood...If money was not an object for me right now it would be a new GC2 with the HMT as I find it is by the most accurate for spin which in my opinion is the #1 factor for distance and I have been a long drive pro for 21 yrs.

Comment

• schurlette
                schurlette commented
                Editing a comment
                A bit OT: I just saw your photo with the Krank cap. I used to play the Formula 5. Best driver I ever had, sadly the head broke while on holiday. The Formula 6.5 doesn't come close in my opinion. Sadly they are very difficult to get in Europe.

The new Krank heads are the best they have ever made....way better material..even the LD open guys dont break.them.

Comment

• pwade3
                pwade3 commented
                Editing a comment
                Are Krank heads for higher swing speed players or would they benefit a slower swing speed player at all?

pwade...krank actually makes head for all.swing speeds and they now have high COR non co forming heads for under 105 clubhead speed that will give you added yardage.

Comment

• pwade3
                pwade3 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for that. I have been doing some research on those drivers. Never heard of them until you mentioned it. My driver swing speed is 95 -100. Might try one.

• Brutaly
                Brutaly commented
                Editing a comment
                Built with Krank and Geek golf and both are great heads. But you get more bang for the buck with Geek imo.
            Working...
            X