mevo+ questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mevo+ questions

Hi, I have some questions concerning the mevo+, where I could not find answers yet, so I try to get them this way:

1. Fast putting threshold: What does it do and what settings have you experimented with? I have a suspicion that the mevo+ calculates putting distance from/together with the clubhead speed as I have seen it register putts when I did practice swings/putts next to the ball. Does that have anything to do with the putting mode?

2. Minimum putting distance: How long should a putting strip be before the ball hits an obstacle, for the mevo+ to read reliably (I am thinking about a dedicated putting mat, and couldn't get the whole 12 feet to screen that I currently have)? Maybe someone with a reliable putting set up could experiment on that.

3. Distance mevo+ to ball: has anyone experimented with the difference of 7 feet vs. 8 ft.? I got the impression that I get better readings with the driver (clubhead around 100-105 mph), when having 8 feet. But that is quite anecdotal - anyone seeing similar things? What is the trade off between that and the then reduced ball flight distance (11 instead of 12 ft in my case)?

4. Setting for variable mevo+ to tee: In the new leaflet that came with the mevo+ they suggest 7 feet unit to ball for putting and 8 feet unit to normal shots. What setting would you use for distance to tee (I'd assume 8ft.)?

5. The same leaflet states a minimum width for the putting mat of 18 inches. What is the reason for that? Why wouldn't a putting mat of 12 inches work (doesn't make sense to me)?

6. I am a bit unclear about setting tee height. Some people have suggested to set the mevo+ on the floor and adjust for the height of the hitting mat (2 inches) in the software. What are the pros and cons? What does it do to putting in such a setting (i.e. the ball always on the ground)? What is the maximum possible/recommended height of the hitting mat (I'd imagine that at some point the edge of the hitting mat will become too high for the mevo+ to read properly)?

7. Do you adjust the tilt of the unit when you are using it in FS Skills/FS Golf or do you stick to the 12 degrees as in simulator mode? What are the differences in results?

Thanks

I'll help you with a couple of questions, having had mine a while now... I can't comment on putting. My setup isn't finished so I don't have level space from my hitting surface to screen yet (my fiberbuilt platform is about 2" high), but I did play around with putting once... I had a lot of no-reads under 10 foot putts, and felt the speed didn't match up well with the distance... I've had the same experience on other simulators with putting.. I really don't enjoy sim putting at all anyway, and didn't put much time into the putting features yet... for me it's a bonus if it works well, if it doesn't I won't miss it a bit and will just let E6 decide my putts.

As for the others see below..

Originally posted by schurlette View Post
    Hi, I have some questions concerning the mevo+, where I could not find answers yet, so I try to get them this way:

3. Distance mevo+ to ball: has anyone experimented with the difference of 7 feet vs. 8 ft.? I got the impression that I get better readings with the driver (clubhead around 100-105 mph), when having 8 feet. But that is quite anecdotal - anyone seeing similar things? What is the trade off between that and the then reduced ball flight distance (11 instead of 12 ft in my case)?

In E6, you need it at 7' behind the ball according to the setup instructions, and need the tilt set to 12 degrees. This is mainly for better results with chipping and putting. It works just fine at 7'. Using FS Golf app or FS Skills app, I've tried at 7' and 8' behind the ball... I've not seen any real measurable benefit to one over the other, so I leave it at about 7 feet, 4 inches from Mevo to ball, so I don't have to move it when switching from E6 to the other FS Apps or vice versa. The tilt angle you set the Mevo+ at makes a much bigger difference than the distance away from the ball i my opinion. Technically, the more ball flight you can muster up the better.. I have 9 feet of ball flight with my setup. Works well there. I have spent a little time hitting with the Mevo+ at 7' and having 10' of ball flight as well, and didn't see enough of a difference to make me move back to 10'. The bigger issue for me at 10' was that my wedge shots can get high and hit the mounting bar above my screen, or even my ceiling if hitting full 60 degree shots. If you have more ceiling height though, certainly give your self as much ball flight as you can, as you increase the amount of time the Mevo+ sees the ball, and will be more consistent and accurate.

You may have to do some experimenting with your setup and distances once it's in your hands. From the comments on these forums, and talking with others... there is no 1 perfect setup that works for everyone.. your environment will dictate that. I've settled on 7'-4" from Mevo+ to ball, 9' of ball flight, 12 degree tilt in E6, and 15-16 degree tilt for FS Apps.. I also set my FS Golf App settings at 8' from Mevo to ball, even though it's at 7'-4". I find it gives me more accurate launch angles that way for some reason... like I said, experiment.. but the tilt angle of the device seems to impact the launch angle and calculated distances the most, out of all the various placements and setups I've tried.

4. Setting for variable mevo+ to tee: In the new leaflet that came with the mevo+ they suggest 7 feet unit to ball for putting and 8 feet unit to normal shots. What setting would you use for distance to tee (I'd assume 8ft.)?

See my comment above... if you do a lot of sim play I would suggest that setup you attached in your post if you can. You'd get the best of both worlds that way. Set up the Mevo at 8' from the ball, aligned between your tee area and your putting area, then hit full shots from 8' from the Mevo, and putt on your putting strip putting your ball down a foot or so behind where you hit full shots... should work great. Like I said, I only hit full shots, but in my setup, I align my Mevo to the center of my 20 inch wide CCE hitting strip... we hit shots with the ball about 6" left or right of the center of the strip... lefties hit off their far side of the strip, righties hit off their far side of the strip... This gives the Lefties a little more room to swing, since they have a wall behind them in my room, but still allow the righties (used by right handed golfers 98% of the time) to still hit on center of the screen.. if that makes sense.

5. The same leaflet states a minimum width for the putting mat of 18 inches. What is the reason for that? Why wouldn't a putting mat of 12 inches work (doesn't make sense to me)?

I think 12" will work fine too.. the Mevo+ isn't looking at your hitting strip. Likely that recommendation is in case you have a raised area, and 12 inches may be a little narrow, and your ball could roll off the side easier and not give you a read. I don't think 12" will be an issue but again, haven't done much putting.

6. I am a bit unclear about setting tee height. Some people have suggested to set the mevo+ on the floor and adjust for the height of the hitting mat (2 inches) in the software. What are the pros and cons? What does it do to putting in such a setting (i.e. the ball always on the ground)? What is the maximum possible/recommended height of the hitting mat (I'd imagine that at some point the edge of the hitting mat will become too high for the mevo+ to read properly)?

I highly encourage having a level surface from Mevo+ to ball. I've had far more misreads, inconsistency, and shorter distances with my 2" high fiberbuilt mat, a space, then the Mevo built up on some tiles to be at the same 2" height. It worked better putting the Mevo+ on the floor, and setting the tee height to 2" but I still seemed to have some launch angle inconsistencies and spin reading inconsistencies. I built up the space between Mevo+ and ball with foam tiles, so they are on the same level, and it's worked great since.

Whatever you do, never put the Mevo+ ABOVE the height of the hitting area/tee area... that was by far the worst experience.. many many no reads and poor launch angle readings.

I haven't tried with a hitting surface at more than 2" above the ground, but given my experience, I think the more you need to adjust the tee height, the more inaccuracy/inconsistency you might see.

7. Do you adjust the tilt of the unit when you are using it in FS Skills/FS Golf or do you stick to the 12 degrees as in simulator mode? What are the differences in results?

Yes. FS Golf will not even let me hit shots if the tilt is below 15 degrees. It won't arm the radar. FS Skills and E6 will let you hit from any angle. E6 will give you a little reminder message about your tilt if it's not at or below 12 degrees. I find E6 works find with the tilt higher than 12, but again, I'm not putting... if using E6 at more like 15 degrees though, my launch angles with driver start reading really low... and it doesn't seem accurate.

What I do, is keep my Mevo+ in the same spot.. when using E6 I use the included template to put the tilt at 12 degrees for quick adjustment. Then when I go back to FS Golf, I just increase the angle until the "tilt" warning light in the app goes away.. rinse, repeat... seems to work well for me without having to dork around going into the setup screen all the time..

Thanks
    Hope those tips help!

Comment

I've responded to the questions I have an opinion on below (I rarely putt on sims and have only tried it a couple of times on M+):

3. My response is just more anecdotal but I haven't noticed any difference between 7' and 8' in terms of accuracy or frequency of no reads. If you are below 10' of ball flight I would 100% choose giving the extra foot to ball flight over radar distance. I'm not sure 11' vs 12' will have the same incremental gains of 8' to 9' but more flight will always be better.

4. I'm still on the .08 firmware for putting but for medium to long putts I get very few no reads in a pretty big area (I've been further than 8' from unit and the get picked up). I think in general anything between 7' and 8' works pretty well.

5. Guessing this is just a recommendation so ball doesn't fall off the side. I'm on a raised Fiberbuilt Flight Deck and my unit will generally read putts that fall off the front of it and definitely reads putts where I start at ground level (even though M+ is raised to just below mat height) and pull behind the mat towards the end of the putt.

6. I think this is one you just have to try and see what works best. My experience has been the opposite of tonybrown32 . I have found getting my M+ to approximately a quarter of an inch below my mat height on a small raised platform (with open space lower than the M+ and mat between). I had launch angle issues with my unit on the ground 2" below the mat using the software correction. I will say I changed a few things since then in my setup so something else may have caused the issues but my current approach seems spot on. I haven't done much putting but my putts read "fine" with the ball on the ground 2" below my mat with my M+ raised almost 2" and the ball about 12" off my centre line. I was shocked when I tried it but almost every putt reads at 10' or longer (the short ones are a struggle but as noted above I'm on the old firmware still).

7. I use the full tilt (about 17*) for FS apps and TGC but for E6 I put it at 12* which appears in line with the software warnings (TGC seems to indicate 17* even though I thought sim would want 12*). For TGC I have tried at both 17* and 12* with no discernable difference to me.

I do think environment could make many folks optimal setups slightly different. Things that others have sworn by appear to do nothing or make mine worse. There was a bit of trial and error for the first couple weeks but now I just put it down and calibrate the center line and I'm hitting shots in seconds. Parking spin axis as the jury is still out for me there (I'm making no real judgements until they get a pretty final firmware) my unit stood up so well against Trackman last night my club fitter/coach couldn't believe the M+ only cost $2k (and he stairs at launch monitor figures all day as 95% of his work is club fitting).

Comment

• tonybrown32
        tonybrown32 commented
        Editing a comment
        Concur with Gresh12 your environment will dictate best results...

Gresh12 I will also note, I'm now on the .09 beta firmware... I had noticed issues with exaggerated right spin axis on shots starting right of center, so they installed it over remote session for me to see if that resolves... I've seen considerable improvement on right spin axis for me with the .09 beta. I haven't putted with it for more than 5 minutes however, so won't provide any opinion on putting... like you, I rarely do any sim putting, even in places where I pay $40-50 an hour to play with buddies... sim putting is just not enjoyable for me, and honestly I don't really enjoy sim chipping either as there is such little perspective and zero ability to use my depth perception for slopes or distance... I'm all feel when it comes to chipping or putting... and I don't learn a thing putting on a sim personally... although to each their own, some do really enjoy it, and is an important part of the sim experience for some.

I'd rather putt on my WellPutt mat for practice, and let E6 randomly assign my number of putts when playing sim courses.

• Gresh12
        Gresh12 commented
        Editing a comment
        I share tonybrown32 ‘s sentiments on putting. I feel it causes me more harm than good. Pitching is tolerable but not realistic. I just focus on the carry number.

I do like the E6 auto putt better than TGC where there is some chance of a long one going in or 3 putting. I feel like that encourages me to play more realistic golf where TGC I basically just make sure it’s on the green for the 2 putt. It also makes match play more fun even if luck is involved. That said, I think it hands out way too many 3 putts.

• tonybrown32
        tonybrown32 commented
        Editing a comment
        Gresh12 LOL funny you mention the 3 putts in E6.. yes, the anticipation of the aut-assigned adds a bit of excitement... but agree, I've noticed it gives out too many 3 putts, or I guess I'll say, more 3 putts than I'd usually make on the course, even on tough greens..

It would be nice to be able to putt and chip with the mouse when playing a sim round on a PC. Is this possible in any sim software?

Comment

• JakeGeezy
        JakeGeezy commented
        Editing a comment
        I understand the theory, and the added option would be nice, but this would detract from the experience in my opinion. We each use the sim for different reasons and my reason is to try and replicate golf as real as possible so putting with a mouse makes my skin crawl. I feel slimy just thinking about it.

Great questions schurlette . One more for the group: 1) Has anyone tested the max hitting area? The image posted of the set-up shows 37 cm (14.5 inches). I've read 6 inches, seen as much as 14.5 inches, and also read where players are surprised that the mevo+ has picked up on the ball after hitting from outside of the perceived window. Has anyone tested the max hitting area? I'm a lefty so I'm eternally banished to sad, lonely sim golfing, or suffering the consequences of having to move the m+ for a righty. It's the cross we bear.

Comment

• pwade3
        pwade3 commented
        Editing a comment
        How much area do you need? I will test for you if you give me your set up.

JakeGeezy I tested the hitting area, pitch shots only but that should not matter. I found that if you were behind the sensor and looking at the screen, you could get constant readings 15 inches to the left of center and 16 inches to the right of center, so a total of 31 inches. I was quite surprised. Once I went past that point, it would read but the shot would just go almost about 40 degrees left or right depending on which side your on.
      I will have to do more testing to see about where you are to aim when you are that far out. It seemed like you could hit it straight down the line instead of aiming to a point on your screen.

Comment

• JakeGeezy
        JakeGeezy commented
        Editing a comment
        Whoa! That’s shocking (Ron Burgundy voice). Thank you for testing!. How far back is your unit and how much ball flight?

• pwade3
        pwade3 commented
        Editing a comment
        I tested at 7’ & 8’ M+ to tee and 10ft tee to screen.
    Working...
    X