Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mevo+ Problems. If you swapped yours, why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mevo+ Problems. If you swapped yours, why?

Just got my Mevo+ a few days ago and distances are way off. Unmistakably wrong. Drives are running 50 to 70 yards short and 7-iron is 30 plus yards short.

I have read about a lot of people returning their units, but not much detail on why. Curious about problems people have had.

thanks.

Hi Carl,

I returned mind after calling FS Support. They can let you know if you need another unit. They were really good about sending me a new unit as soon as they checked UPS and see the tracking number on route. Make sure you ask for this as well so minimizes the delay. Then I asked for overnight shipping and paid the extra ($60 USD) so I didn't have to wait 4-5days.

The biggest issue we had were many misreads / no reads at all for putting mostly. Regular shots were not the issue.

FS Support are really awesome, cant say enough about them helping out.

Cheers
    Andy

Comment

Hi guys,

I built an ideal outdoor setup for my unit (20 ft long, artificial grass), and after hours of troubleshooting still got very funny numbers (driver <200 years no matter how hard I hit it). I'm 40 years old and about a ~20 handicap so the numbers just made no sense. If I could hit a single driver above 200 yards, I might believe the figures! Same issue with irons, etc.

After hours of back and forth, they let me mail it back, but now they claim there's no issue with the unit. I'm a bit fed up (mostly with all the hours spent), and they're insisting on a 15% restocking fee per their very ridiculous return policy.

Any thoughts/suggestions? At the very least, I plan to share the return policy with this community. Obviously if your unit works, it's no issue, but if you get a unit with strange numbers, you're totally at their mercy.

Comment

Can you guys post some data?

I’m not saying none of the units are faulty or people don’t have environmental issues causing bad reads but I’ve owned a SkyTrak, SC200, Mevo+ and hit on GC2 in the past and Trackman a couple times a week. Every device I’ve used gets ball speed (and where measured) club speed pretty darn close. If you post data people here can tell you what to realistically expect and what’s making it go short.

I’m not trying to be argumentative but every one of my friends I take to a simulator says it’s short but they are always comparing to the top tenth percentile of their shots and including roll.

I swing my 7 iron about 85 mph and before getting in to launch monitors I would have said it’s my 172 carry club that I could push a bit farther. Reality was it’s my 165 carry club and the occasional one carries low 170s and rolls out to 180.

Speeds will help show potential but delivery also matters. My driver swing speed is what I call above average (high is getting very high these days) at 108-112 mph. I struggle to hit up on the ball so my carry is often only 250-260 despite having speed that should be further.

Comment

I agree with Gresh12. I am a single-digit handicap and admittedly a short-knocker but I was still a bit shocked when I first setup my unit and saw my distances. I too thought there was something wrong with the unit. I was especially frustrated with Driver distance, as I could not hit more than 200 carry, even though I knew I was longer IRL. Literally the first 6 weeks or so I had the unit I was stuck and almost gave up.

I started working on my swing, a lot. Watched YouTube videos, did some research and started to apply some knowledge. After a few weeks my distances started creeping up and now I hit driver 40 yards further than I did when I first got the unit and carrying all my irons 15-20 yards further. Some of this may have been indoor swing syndrome.

I'm not saying this isn't the unit or it's you, just sharing my person experience with the Mevo+. It has definitely made me a much better ball striker by forcing me to learn more about swing mechanics and dive in to the data to understand more about the numbers I need to be focused on.

I also have friends over that experience the exact same thing and get very frustrated when they don't hit as far as they think they should.

I would give it some more time.

Comment

I totally appreciate and get the idea that there could be something about me (although I am outdoors). If I could get even a single drive above 200 yards, I think I'd be more comfortable saying it's me, not the device.

Since people seem curious (and I sincerely appreciate the help and thoughts), I hit 5 drives between 144-168 yards with average club speed of 83 mph.

That said, though, let's say it is the device. A 14 day return policy with 15% restocking fee really puts a gun to your head to sort it out. I was really nervous that I'd end up sitting on a $2k paperweight so I had to take action pretty quickly. Again, this is their policy. If I had 30-90 days, I'd put in the hours to figure out the issue (although my wife wouldn't like that!).
            Last edited by carelessax; 03-19-2021, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• Gresh12
              Gresh12 commented
              Editing a comment
              83 mph swing speed with optimized delivery can carry the ball 190-195 I would estimate at sea level. Depending where you play (I play in soft conditions so roll is low even in summer) you could get 20-40 yards of roll which gets you to ~230 for arguments sake.

So either your swing is slower than normal (indoors or outdoors hitting in nets can be uncomfortable even if you don’t sense it), your quite a ways off optimal delivery or you’re comparing 5 average drives to your best on course drives in my opinion. To confirm we’d need launch and spin numbers.

I hear you on the return policy but these are luxury items in high demand so it sort of is what it is right now I think.

1. A launch monitor is a humbling thing. Most people are unpleasantly surprised the first time they hit on one. The fact is, golfers have inflated ideas of how far they hit the ball. How many weekend warriors consistently get the ball pin high? Hardly any. Golf Digest recently did a study about how far golfers think they hit it and how far they actually hit it. The results were pretty startling.

2. When the USGA did it's most recent distance report in 2020, they determined the average male golfer carries their driver 217 yards. And that's for ALL amateurs, which means that number is helped out by the young low handicap bombers. The average 20+ handicapper was 190.

3. With the proper setup, a Mevo+, Skytrak, GC2 whatever are very accurate for full shots. They will all read a slightly different number, but they are all very close to the real thing 99% of the time. Faulty units do exist (just like with almost any product), but more times than not it's either a setup issue or just a misconception of how far the person thinks they hit the ball.

Comment

Given the numbers reported above re averages, I wonder what your attack angle might be with your driver. Appreciate that Mevo+ does not provide this number, but perhaps the answer can be derived from how far you hit your 3 wood. If you hit your 3 wood as far or further than your driver, then it is likely that you are hitting down on your driver and this the reason why your carry distance is not getting to the distance provided above.

Comment

• aformagie
                aformagie commented
                Editing a comment
                E6 doesnt provide AofA, FS Golf does. It would be nice if a few more params were in E6.
                3on3putt - I play with several golfers as well and it is common for them to blame the Mevo+ for the numbers on chip numbers being off. I make more use of the unit and being a 6 handicap can say the chipping numbers are accurate for me. The boys I play with dont work on their games very often so truly unaware / inconsistent in hitting the numbers. As you indicated, the simulator is humbling,
                I received my replacement unit Jan-6th and after upgrading to .17 firmware getting better driving and chipping numbers. It could also be related that I switched from Short indoor to indoor as we have 14 ft ball to screen, 8.5 ft Mevo to ball, we putt / short chip at 6ft and as long as you keep the club behid the ball quiet, it reads correctly. Several of my boys were waggling a little more and not pausing so no reads would occur.

Originally posted by carelessax View Post
              I totally appreciate and get the idea that there could be something about me (although I am outdoors). If I could get even a single drive above 200 yards, I think I'd be more comfortable saying it's me, not the device.

Since people seem curious (and I sincerely appreciate the help and thoughts), I hit 5 drives between 144-168 yards with average club speed of 83 mph.

That said, though, let's say it is the device. A 14 day return policy with 15% restocking fee really puts a gun to your head to sort it out. I was really nervous that I'd end up sitting on a $2k paperweight so I had to take action pretty quickly. Again, this is their policy. If I had 30-90 days, I'd put in the hours to figure out the issue (although my wife wouldn't like that!).
              Re-sale market is pretty good right now, especially for mevo+ and skytraks. So instead of sending it back to flight scope and incurring restock fee, you can probably easily sell it on this forum and at least get back what you paid, but probably more. especially if it’s basically brand new.

Comment

• 3on3putt
                3on3putt commented
                Editing a comment
                Very true. Solid advice here.

I had the Mevo+ for since Nov 2020. Like many on this forum blamed the Mevo+.

I did everything I could to setup my hitting area to ensure I had no interference, I moved everything around in my garage and covered all metal objects in the garage that had electricity running through it with the insect mesh screen. i downloaded the interference tool that prove i did not have anymore interference or very minimal interference.

I read the indoor swing syndrome article "Indoor Swing Syndrome" is a common problem with new SkyTrak owners - GunghoGolf.com by Gungho. if you have not read it please do.

in the early days i was not hitting the ball well and the Mevo+ read the shot and when i shanked the ball it read the shot. I knew I was not swinging well but the machine still read the shot.
              I said to myself, if this machine can read my shanks, snap hooks and pulls it must be accurate. how many times would I hit a perfect shot 2-10 times maybe.

I came to the conclusion to ​​​stop worry about the carry distance and concentrate on the ball flight and my golf swing. After 2-3 months of trusting the Mevo+ I am hitting straighter and have a slight draw and my big misses are pulls. I am seeing my carry distances increase since my swing has improved. I still have ISS with the driver just cannot seem to swing full out with it in the garage andI am just worry about ball flight not distance.

In the end, I am happy with the Mevo+ and cannot wait to use it when the outdoor driving ranges open in April.

Comment

Originally posted by Dax View Post
                Given the numbers reported above re averages, I wonder what your attack angle might be with your driver. Appreciate that Mevo+ does not provide this number, but perhaps the answer can be derived from how far you hit your 3 wood. If you hit your 3 wood as far or further than your driver, then it is likely that you are hitting down on your driver and this the reason why your carry distance is not getting to the distance provided above.
                I thought Mevo+ did give angle of attack? No?

Regardless, carelessax -- what were the spin numbers, ball speeds and launch angles of those shots? Club head speed is only one ingredient. And did you go through the various troubleshooting steps? I know the Mevo has very exact specs for unit from ball and ball to screen and indoor vs. outdoor mode and what not that will affect the performance.

Comment

• Dax
                  Dax commented
                  Editing a comment
                  To tell you the truth I don’t know if it does, but did read a site once that listed the data and thought it odd that Glencoe attack was not there, but then just thought it was something they chose not to provide.

Yeah I went through hours of troubleshooting with them, trying different balls, using the metallic sticker, trying the indoor vs outdoor modes. I did think about trying it at a driving range, but on the other hand, that was never going to be my use case since I bought it to avoid the range (too crowded these days).

Just to be clear, I was a 10 handicap before having kids hence why I guess I'm like a ~20 now. My issue (like for many people) is consistency. I'd feel better about the purchase if I could at least hit something that resembled (within like 20%) my expectation. I did not expect to have 250 yard drives even though I have achieved that in the past.

As of now, the Mevo is back with the company so I'm not sure whether they're going to refund me, refund me with a 15% restocking hit, or send it back to me and then have me sell it to someone else (which they suggested).

Comment

I wish I could offer some advice but I seem to be having the opposite issue. I’ve now used the mevo+ 7-8 times in my garage and feel pretty good about my setup. My only thing is that my carry seems to be too far. At first I thought it was just exaggerating pulls but I’ve hit some flush 9 irons that I’d say should go 145-150 maybe 155 and they’ll read 160-165 carry. I try not to look too much into it since it felt good but would love to know if there is a setting I could be missing. I know there are a lot of critical set up points but again feel like I got them all pretty close. I hit off both cce and Quattro with similar results. Would love to hear any suggestions.

Comment

• Gresh12
                    Gresh12 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What is your average ball speed, launch angle and spin. My on course carry for 9i is 145 ish. I’ve not used the specific mats you have but what spin are you seeing? Off my fiberbuilt I get roughly 7500 which is a bit low compared to grass but I do see an occasional 4500 that goes forever.

• carelessax
                    carelessax commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not to make this all about me, but I should add that I mostly got this for irons (the weakest part of my game), not driver. And I'm getting about 80 yards on a 7 iron and 130 yards for a 4 iron. Regardless, you're a much better golfer than I am

Ball speed around 110 and launch angle 19-20. I Think those are decent but my spin is low on average. Probably 5500-7000. Think that’s the cause? I use the metallic dot and a good ball. If so, then I wonder if my spin is really that low or just a reading issue. I’ll be setting it up outside soon but will still only have 10ft or so of ball flight so not sure if it will make any difference.

Comment

• Aapo
                    Aapo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was yesterday on Trackman. I got around 115 mph ball speed out of 9 iron when I flushed it. The distance was about 150 yard carry. Around the distance I get on course. The spin was around 8500-9000 which seemed reasonable. My 9 iron loft is 42°.

I’m a touch surprised you’d get 165 carry out of those numbers also. 5,500 is low for what you want but not total knuckle ball. Are you at sea level? Flightscope trajectory optimizer gives about 155 carry so it’s interesting their software would be so different.

Comment

Working...
                  X