Low Spin for Irons— Mevo+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Spin for Irons— Mevo+

We talk a lot about high spin for drivers, but are you also getting low spin for irons? Very seldom to my approach shots hit and stop, or chip shots check up. When I play others online who are using ST or GC2 it’s immediately obvious their spin is different because their irons/chip shots check up.

Are you experiencing this? Any way to combat it (ie settings adjustments)?

jake

Yes, I have seen this as well. There are times when I carry my 8 iron 185 yards and it says I have 2500 spin. Very frustrating and clearly not accurate. It happens with all my irons but not consistent only every once and a while.

Comment

I find that my spin has been relatively accurate through the bag.. compared to my lessons on GCQ, when my spin is measured, and its a well struck shot, its really close.. for example with driver, I get 1900-2500 spin on GCQ and about the same on Mevo+ maybe a few hundred RPM higher on Mevo+. Estimated driver spin on Mevo+ however is always high in the 3000+ range. Iron spin is similar.. my 7i spin on GCQ is 4200-4500 (yes I know its a little low.. product of my de-lofting in my swing in combination with strong lofted Mizuno HM Pros) and on Mevo+ when measured is really close.. maybe a smidge lower on average 4000-4200, but meaningless amount. Estimated spin with 7i is always higher in the 5000‐5500 range.

Different hitting mats can make a huge difference in spin as well. My Fiberbuilt gave me less spin than my CCE for example.

Summary.. my spin numbers are fairly close to GCQ when well struck, and measured not estimated. Poorly struck shots have more variance I feel.

Comment

every once in a while, i get a low spinner with irons - the problem for me isn't lack of check on the greens with the low spinners, the problem is flying over the green. metallic dots certainly increase spin on iron shots for me. some have said make sure grooves are clean. can't hurt to try fresh golf balls either.
        Last edited by tinker812; 02-09-2021, 06:14 PM.

Comment

tinker812tonybrown32 JayJo13 Interesting. No one seems to have the problem with the ball running too far for approach shots? My ball to screen is 7 feet so it’s def short distance. What about you all, what is your ball to screen measurement?

Comment

• tonybrown32
            tonybrown32 commented
            Editing a comment
            I get the occasional flyer but it's rare, and easy to tell because I'll have a 7i with 2000-3000 rpm and I ignore it. I have 9.5 feet from ball to screen and anywhere between 7-8 feet from ball to Mevo+. I use dots always indoors. 7ft of ball flight is under the recommended 8ft. I find anything less than 8ft of ball flight is very unpredictable.. and you may get some odd and inaccurate spin readings. I would be willing to guess, most if not all of your spin values are estimated with only 7 feet of ball flight.

• Gresh12
            Gresh12 commented
            Editing a comment
            My total spin when testing directly against Trackman 4 indoor was very close on almost all shots (~18’ ball flight so with dot both were rarely estimated). The axis had some variability but that won’t impact holding greens much.

Admittedly most of my sim golf has been on TGC and Virtual Golf 2 but regardless of software I find greens relatively unpredictable in terms of holding. The slopes and hills in sim seem more punitive than real life to me in that something that runs away on sim simply won’t ever stop whereas in course it takes a pretty severe slope to run things off the green (I’d guess I play on about 10 stimp most of the time outdoors so not super fast). Is it possible your seeing shots running down hill a lot?

• tinker812
            tinker812 commented
            Editing a comment
            i'm not convinced chipping <25 yds and putting would be terribly realistic on any sim, so i don't stress much about it. After all, putting is on 10 feet of dead flat surface, and chipping is always from a perfect lie. Add that to me being lazy in figuring out the slope of the green (which i agree has a tremendous amount of effect on roll out), the unpredictable vertical launch of the mevo with chips, and the software integration of LM data, makes it difficult to pinpoint any one deficiency in short chips.

Lastly, I think it is super difficult to hit those bounce...bounce...stop chips that the pros seem to hit so naturally. ball has to be hit perfectly...if not, skull, shank, etc are in play. better for crummy players like me to play bump and run...

i have 11 ft to screen. 7.5 to mevo

Originally posted by JakeGeezy View Post
          tinker812tonybrown32 JayJo13 Interesting. No one seems to have the problem with the ball running too far for approach shots? My ball to screen is 7 feet so it’s def short distance. What about you all, what is your ball to screen measurement?
          I'm at 10.5 feet ball to screen and 8 feet ball to Mevo+. I definitely have issues with the ball running too far on approach shots but have learned how to play knowing that, not unlike playing a course IRL with really hard, fast greens. It's the low spin rate that results in super far carry distance that I'm having issues with and not being consistent.

Comment

Working...
          X