Numbers not matching optimizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numbers not matching optimizer

This was taken on an outdoor practice range. No stickers used. Distance seems too long based on measurements. Any advice?

And here is the optimizer. There is a ~11 yard difference in carry numbers. Both used 610’ above sea level.

Comment

What unit is doing the measuring?

Comment

Try www.vuegolf.org. On dashboard page > Select SampleData_1.csv > PGA Tour Compare table > Select Imperial measurement > 7 iron carry distance, Club and Ball speed.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbtubbs View Post
          What unit is doing the measuring?
          mevo+ Is my unit

Comment

How many shots did you take over all? Your picture shows shots 14 through 17, how were the first 13? What is your usual distance with your 7-iron? Is this the first time you used it at the range? Did you have the wind setting turned on or off? From my experience with using my mevo+ at the range I find the distance is not to be very accurate in my opinion. I have two sets of shots from the range with my nine iron where one set has dots on the ball and one set did not. The set without the dot has an average of 10 yards shorter than the set with the dot. It’s a small sample size as each set only has 10 shots so I realize this is not a very scientific test. The balls I used are assorted regular type balls and not range balls. Once again to be totally honest, I think the mevo+ struggles outdoors with being overly accurate. You can try this test yourself by putting dots on the balls at the range and see what happens. I believe the mevo+ is more accurate when used in a shorter mode and metallic dots are on the ball. Please don’t take this as bashing the mevo+. I think it’s very good for what it is and what it costs, however, I personally believe it has its limitations. It has helped my game tremendously.

Comment

You have selected "range ball" for ball type. That will "normalize" carry so it adds about 10% distance. Don't use it if you want accurate distances. It does not effect other numbers than distance.

Comment

First thing I would look to after environmental setup is range balls.

My home club uses limited flight balls that go 80% of true distance. At the range they come off with proper ball speed but they balloon (intentionally) so the Mevo+ readings all look fine except backspin reads way high (like 13000 for 7 iron high). I borrowed on of the balls to test in the Trackman bay I go to weekly and found indoors it reads slightly off as it does spin a touch higher than a premium ball but nothing like outdoors.

My understanding is Flightscope was supposed to be adding range ball normalization in the software but hasn’t yet. We’ve taken Trackman to the range and played with that setting and it makes a big difference.

I’ve also taken my Mevo+ to a range without limited flight balls and the brand new looking ones produced expected results (compared to a distance ball not a premium ball) but the older worn balls don’t spin much and go too far and the very worn balls don’t spin at all and fall out of the sky.

Finally, even hitting non range balls will have issues unless you’re hitting your gamer and they are reasonably new (which is pricey unless your a tour pro). I did a big ball test a year ago on both my Mevo+ and Trackman and to summarize briefly, once your hitting a mid iron down to wedge they are so different comparing them is useless. We also see even the older premium balls on the Trackman are slow ball speed as they start to wear even well before they break.

Think of the ball like your car tire. You can have an F1 car built to win the race but you put it on the track with bad tires and it’s more than likely going to crash.

If you have an empty golf course (or a slow one) set your Mevo+ up on the course and measure some approach shots you can see land (or driver if you’ll be honest with where it landed vs where it rolled out to). I’ve found mine accurate under these conditions for the most part (I do believe driver spin is too high on Mevo+ on many shots outdoors).

Comment

Working...
                X