Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you feel about the price/value of the Pro Package?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you feel about the price/value of the Pro Package?

Love my Mevo+, and I don't mind paying fair value for something, but in looking at the Flightscope chart below, it occurred to me that much of the new data the Pro Package will provide can perhaps be calculated from the stock data. Knowing the loft of the club, which manufacturers all publish, is required for precision of some, but it's also needed by Mevo+ for more precise calculations ,as not all 7-Irons are created equal.

Of course, the Pro Package will do these calculations for you, but the question is are these calculations worth the price, and how many of them can be calculated without spending $1000?

Any math wizards here that would care to help? I'm not that good at math, but I'll take a shot at a few.

Acceleration Profile (Backswing-Downswing Ratio?) and Speed Profile are time-based calculations so these are not derived from currently given data.

Vertical Decent Angle is related to Carry, VLA and Apex Height.

Face to Path is related to H. Launch Angle, Spin Angle, and Lateral Landing

Face to Target is a kin of of H. Launch Angle

Dynamic Loft: Club's Face Angle per manufacturer and VLA

Curve: Shot Shape, Lat Landing, Spin Angle

Low Point: Using AOA perhaps.

Last edited by pcascio; 11-23-2021, 04:16 PM.

Mevo+ firmware is being updated to use the camera, as well as the radar to directly measure club path and face angle. I don't think you can calculate some of these accurately without measured path and face angle at impact..

Face and Path data are the only additional elements I personally have interest in... I'm glad they will be measured, rather than calculated.

Comment

• bubbtubbs
      bubbtubbs commented
      Editing a comment
      More or less this.

• Aj282
      Aj282 commented
      Editing a comment
      Except face data will be calculated based on club path and horizontal launch angle. Accurate enough assuming center strike and zero degree lie angle, but not measured.

We use calculations to derive full club data from ball launch data in our Advanced Analytics package for SkyTrak, and they're generally accurate when looked at in aggregate and if the strikes are generally centered on the club face. Where they break down are with off-center hits, which produce gear effect.

I believe the value prop for the Mevo+ with Pro package for measured club data is the highest bang for the buck on the LM market right now. Of course, it remains to be seen how accurate the club data is - but I would expect FlightScope to deliver an accurate product.

fyi the Mevo+ is on sale now thru Nov 29 for $200 off: https://store.gunghogolf.com/FlightS...evo-p180297324 (and the Pro package may be added later when its released in Q1 '21 for $1K).
    - Ron at GunghoGolf.com - we specialize in TrackMan, FlightScope, Foresight, Uneekor, SkyTrak, Garmin, Bushnell, TGC, and E6 Connect. 512-861-4151 or email hello AT gunghogolf.com.

Comment

• tonybrown32
      tonybrown32 commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point on the off center hits and calculations... I'm eager to see what kind of accuracy Mevo+ can provide with the D-plane data.. I'll likely make the purchase when it's offered (especially if they offer discounts for existing owners like they've suggested they are working on). I take lessons indoors on occasion over the winter months, and my swing coach uses GCQuad... he's just as nerdy as me about the tech, so I'm sure I'll be able to bring my Mevo+ along and test alongside the GCQ and see how close the numbers are. The ball data was very close last time we compared..

There are ways to calculate many of those but to Ron’s point the value this device will present will launch it to the top of the portable LM/home sim market. My hope is fusion tracking improves short chips, but not 100% confident as it is more prevalent in tgc2019 than in e6 and may be an issue with how it recognizes/transmits within the software. Putting also can be a little irregular at times. Anyhow, will likely get the pro package as a Mevo+ owner and excited for all the advancements in this space!

Comment

Pro Package contains D-plane. For that reason alone, it is good to invest in a Pro Package.

You have an inaccurate description for some features. Here is a clarification from which it follows that the calculation is not a trivial matter.

Comment

Mirek, I'm not suggesting that the calculated data are trivial, or not useful, only that they can be obtained using the same basic data the Plus already provides. The calculations themselves are relatively simple math problems using already known data.

Another thing to consider is the Plus's camera position, it's about 8-ft behind the ball, very different than Skytrak and Foresight, which have a side view and are much closer to the ball. I suspect this camera is mostly used for time-based calculations, and possibly low point, as its view is very limited from that angle and distance. It may also be useful for putting.

This is a $1000 purchase that involves no additional hardware, only what is already in the Mevo+. That's a lot of money so I think it's fair to consider what we're getting for $1000. Is it the use of a small spreadsheet, or something way more than that?
        Last edited by pcascio; 11-23-2021, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• drawplayer87
          drawplayer87 commented
          Editing a comment
          I understand your point. Even if it can be calculated I'd be too lazy to do the math.
          In my opinion the package is absolutely valuable, especially since FS will offer the pro package at a discounted price for existing mevo+ users. They also mentioned that there will be a graphical representation of these new parameters instead of backed numbers (I assume also the D-Plane as a model maybe like in the video above!)...since they will be launching a new consolidated app across all devices (FS Golf, FS Skills, VX etc)...

I recently purchased a Mevo + in large part because of the Fusion and Pro Package upgrades coming. $1k is a lot for the upgrade but in the today's market having club path, FTP and FTT for $3k is the lowest cost option - pending accuracy (R10). That said, club path and H launch are measured so the face angle is calculated from two measured numbers. Do you think Flightscope will factor in the H launch is apprx 70% face and 30% path to refine the face angle data? Seems like it would be simple enough to do(?). Could even tweak the percentage by iron or wood. Figure it will be plenty accurate for non-professionals (like me). Fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan13 View Post
          Do you think Flightscope will factor in the H launch is apprx 70% face and 30% path to refine the face angle data? Seems like it would be simple enough to do(?). Could even tweak the percentage by iron or wood.
          That number (or ratio) varies by clubhead speed, delivered loft, smash factor… etc. Basically, the more solid the hit, the higher the clubhead/ball speed, the closer it gets to 85% or even slightly higher.

And yes, they've been doing these calculations for years and years and years. It's not going to be a straight 70/30, nor is it going to be straight 100% of course. Toe hits are still going to read as a more "open" face than they should be.

Years ago Boo Weekley's Trackman numbers were shown for a driver. The Trackman said (as all radars would have said) something like 1° left path with a 2° open face, and every ball drew (left tilted spin axis). Anyone who knew what they were looking at knew that he simply struck the ball slightly toward the toe, causing both the push start line (which read as an "open" face then) and the draw spin despite a path left of the start line.
          --
          Erik J. Barzeski
          PGA, LSW, 5SK, GE

Comment

Originally posted by iacas View Post
            Years ago Boo Weekley's Trackman numbers were shown for a driver. The Trackman said (as all radars would have said) something like 1° left path with a 2° open face, and every ball drew (left tilted spin axis). Anyone who knew what they were looking at knew that he simply struck the ball slightly toward the toe, causing both the push start line (which read as an "open" face then) and the draw spin despite a path left of the start line.

Thanks. Interesting. Good to understand where the limitations of the Mevo + (radar) are, aka, tying face angle to H launch. Don't want to be chasing ghosts trying to intentionally work on FTP relationships. Out of curiosity do you know how GC Quad reports face angle in those (off center hit) scenarios? Gives face angle at first touch before any gear effects so you would not be thinking you need to close the face more if you didn't know impact location? GC3 doesn't have face angle / impact location so users would have path, H launch and spin axis to try and determine what happened at impact - just like Mevo + - assuming M+ spin axis is shown correctly (indoors). Makes me even feel better about saving the $4k vs GC3.

Comment

Watching Henri's youtube intro to Pro+, he explains a bit about algorithms and AI etc used.

My view is all launch monitors use a number of algorithms to some extent.

How do things like Face Angle/Path get "measured" on Trackman? I've never understood that.

Comment

It's a lot of cash which is never a lot of fun to let go of but there's nothing close price wise with these measured metrics. I've been thrilled with my mevo plus and being able to bring these extras into it will just add to that. I'm unlikely to buy this right away as I don't have a regular indoor space at home but I think that I eventually will when that time comes.

Comment

Flightscope posted a definition of the fact to path for X3 (and soon Mevo +) on instagram today. Its says the face relative to path is "measured" at the moment of impact. Beyond a discussion of a radar unit measuring face angle I'm trying to figure out if gear effect would impact the measured face angle. Per their description it sounds like it is measured at first touch and not impacted by gear effect and subsequently it is not derived from H launch which clearly is. Am I missing something?

Comment

Well I've had my mevo+ since march 2020. Back then I remember one flightscope rep told that mevo+ measures the club data but they didn't want mevo+ to show it. Looks like now they want to show it but for $1K. And awesome golf by the way shows acceleration profile and swing speed profile that come with the pro package already. Only software is blocking the mevo+ from showing the data. They also did this with the XI line.

Comment

New information

Comment

Sounds like some reviews of the Pro Package will start to become available prior to PGA show in late January. Accuracy of the club path and face angles along with how sensitive it is to set up effecting these numbers is what I would like to see. The discount for existing Mevo + owners is also - of course - of interest.

Comment

Working...
                        X