Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is your GC2 positioned - Does it affect spin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is your GC2 positioned - Does it affect spin?

I'm just a few weeks into using my setup, only played a few rounds on it as I have a bunch of other room work to do. I'm not good enough as yet to be able to tell the distance of a good shot versus that of a poor shot.

However, a buddy of mine is much better.

We played a round last night and he was saying that the Draw was much more pronounced in this game and that the long irons seemed to be off, especially on a mishit.

So, my questions are

1) Is there an update to do recommended best settings for GSX/TGC? I saw some posts from 2014 but not sure they are still relevant (revamp the sticky note in this forum)?
    2) Is your GC2 on the same level as the hitting mat or raised up. Does it make a difference?
    3) Does lighting affect the GC2 ? Back/Front/Side lighting known to cause read issues?
    4) Does the mat punish poor hit shots?

Originally I had an issue with the reads on my system but that was because the mat was moving. I've fixed that but it's still not quite right (per my buddy)

1. The recommended firmware is 3.5.1. Use the latest gsx.
    2. There was a thread about the gc2 being draw biased. they raised the unit a few inches above the hitting surface and it seemed to help.
    3. I've used halogens and now led lights and both seem ok. The gc2 has its own xenon flash so most commonly used lighting should be fine.
    4. Depends on what kind of mat you have.

Comment

4.00.15 seems draw bias, but could be the mat. Anyone else see this?

Comment

Put the gc2 higher. Experiment. Use 3.5. Does the gc2 draw more than you'd think? Yes but inside. Could it be being inside? Maybe. My gc2 doesn't draw outside. Go figure.
        My Courses:
        World Par 3's by mthunt
        Toronto GC (L) mthunt
        Burlington G&CC by mthunt
        Weston G&CC by mthunt
        London Hunt Club L mthunt
        Park CC Lidar mthunt
        Sunningdale GC Robinson L
        Sunningdale GC Thompson L
        Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
        Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
        The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
        The National GC L mthunt
        Mississaugua GC L mthunt
        Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
        Markland Woods CC mthunt
        Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
        Magna GC L mthunt
        Barrie CC L mthunt
        mthunt Range

Comment

Should mention mat is 1.25" bottom of steel cradle 2", 0.75" difference

Comment

I miss right all the time in real life now since I've been using gc2. My buddy says I don't shape the ball like that either. Hmt numbers show an inside out swing even if I attempt outside in just to experiment. I can hit fade in real life too, mostly slight draw though. The mat is extremely punishing on mishit, dead pull every time, could be the mat I'm thinking. Where does a guy get 3.5?
            Last edited by Ports; 07-24-2017, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Thanks Inorkuo. Have you adjusted any of the settings in GSX? I saw some threads about the forgiveness and ratio settings? Did putting the lights on the mat help the reads?

I hit the ball right. That is my swing. When I mishit the ball goes very right. I cannot say whether it's accurate or not, I'm just that new.

However, my friend, who is a low single handicap tends to draw slightly but in the game the draw is massive. So much over pronounced that it is like 15 yards difference in the air in a 150-175 yard shot. I don't know if inside swing does this but when him and I goto the driving range, his shots are not like that.

I'm running 3.5 (can't recall if it's 3.5.1) and not sure if it's just the elevation? Maybe I need to build a platform or but the metal caging to help prop it up? I hadn't realized that could be affecting over-spin. The numbers (which I should get some concrete examples) on a 7i show Backspin at 6200, Sidespin at -1561 RPM and spin Axis at -14.3 degrees. I don't recall what all the shots were but the draw tendancy was strong..

My mat is a Optishot Matt - https://www.allturfmats.com/OptiShot...-p/utp4860.htm
              I've been hitting off of it. maybe I need to get another patch for the insert where the Optishot goes and see if maybe this matt is not meant to be hit off outside that square (if that makes sense)

Could the ball be part of the spin problem as well?

Comment

Well, i've tried to create a bit of a stand and the output in TGC is still the same. Major spin detection and my friends draw in his shot is exaggerated and over done.

I've been looking through the threads and have seen there are settings that should be done. Is there a best practice for the GC2?

Comment

Could it be indoors swing? GC2 alignment? (have you checked on flat putting green?
                  Take the unit to the range with an ipad and look at the ballflight, hit all sorts of shots and compare.
                  I know i tend to swing a bit more inside when indoors, it was massive when i started but has improved.

Comment

• eezetee
                    eezetee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's a good idea. I'll give that a shot this weekend.

Think it could be the mat as well?

Also check that your mat is not moving (even ever so slightly) when you hit. I know mine does and I need to solve for it. This issue has been addressed in some other threads and has been know to create read issues.

Comment

• eezetee
                    eezetee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I did have that issue and after putting down a non slip mat, it did indeed help. A lot.

The spin is most of his shots. Like I wrote, I'm a poor player at the moment but it's inconsistent.

I wonder if taking a video of his swing and the read would help?

depends on the mat and how much contact you get with it with your club also will affect the spin even though you do not feel the shot hitting into the turf it sometimes does and will twist your club face

Comment

Trying to pick it clean off an unforgiving mat is my issue likely. I'll take beaver pelts all day on turf. Wouldn't think of it on my mat unless I wanted an elbow surgery. Still a little curious about 3.5 vs 4.0 as far draw bias, but I'm thinking mat

Comment

• eezetee
                      eezetee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ports,

So your swing on your sim is knowingly different than on the course because of your mat?

Are you settings the defaults?

• Ports
                      Ports commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'd say so, I take divots in real life. Can't with my mat too much or it gets pretty painful in the elbow. Likely closing the club face more as a result. I am all default settings

I keep looking at threads for some indicator that i've missed a slider or setting that will help the gameplay of my sim.
                    Settings for GSX when used with TGC: Set all carry, back spin, and side spin settings to default of zero. Putting speed = (set to what feels right for your turf).

Looking at the thread there, there are some sliders that can be used to manipulate the game, but i'm wondering if there is one for Draw/Fade or spin detection.

Comment

The slider in GSX is iron spin. You can decrease it.

For me, I draw more in my sim than outside. Outside, when I'm on, it's fairly straight. I have taken my gc2 to the range and my 800 draw spin wasn't there. IMO it's the mat or alignment maybe due to being indoors. My buddy doesn't draw it at my house. He fades. He fades outside too. It's only a tiny tiny fade. We are both scratch golfers so I've chalked it up to being inside. Rub of the green. I just aim right.
                      My Courses:
                      World Par 3's by mthunt
                      Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                      Burlington G&CC by mthunt
                      Weston G&CC by mthunt
                      London Hunt Club L mthunt
                      Park CC Lidar mthunt
                      Sunningdale GC Robinson L
                      Sunningdale GC Thompson L
                      Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
                      Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
                      The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
                      The National GC L mthunt
                      Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                      Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
                      Markland Woods CC mthunt
                      Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                      Magna GC L mthunt
                      Barrie CC L mthunt
                      mthunt Range

Comment

So i compared gc2 with my trackman i saw the exact same draw biased on gc2, both indoor and outdoor.
                        i would say about 7/10 times, where my friend was about 3/10 having more draw than real flight outdoor compared to trackman real ball tracking.

other ball data, ball speed/launch direction etc. are all almost identical vs trackman.

the only data that was significantly different was Spin Axis (Sidespin), of gc2 being more to the left.

the setup was all great. latest 4.0 firmware and tracking very well with very very similar numbers as trackman, but indoor/outdoor draw/hook shots are really bugging me. Because i am really liking it indoors reading chip/putt very accurately.

any idea to fix this?

Comment

Working...
                        X