Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another video camera question. Minimum fps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another video camera question. Minimum fps.

So I've been doing my research for the last several months and, as expected, I haven't found a consensus on the specs I need to get a good clear image recording indoors.
    I talk to the different swing analysis software companies and they all state that they have spent countless hours researching cameras to determine what the best camera is for their software but it seems I am going to be paying a few hundred dollars more getting it through them which may or may not be worth it. And I still get conflicting info on what is "enough".

Is 90fps@480p good enough for me or any discerning pro to see everything they need to see in the swing? I want to do a multi-camera set up and can have the cameras anywhere from 8' to 13' for both face on and down the line. I'm not a pro. Just a 7 to 10 handicap trying to improve with some combination of lessons, self analysis, and sim practice (GC2/HMT owner).

If anyone has a specific camera that is working well with FSX indoors and/or swing catalyst, please provide the details of what you have and if you're getting a clear enough image to see all critical aspects of the swing. It has been difficult to find anyone that is very knowledgeable in this area. It seems that sensor format is an indicator of how well it will perform indoors, larger being better (read more expensive) but I could be wrong.
    Right now I am being told that a 480p@90fps, global shutter, 1/2" CCD sensor is plenty good enough and that many pros and instructors are using this same camera.
    I know there are fairly cheap solutions out there but I'm trying to set something up that is solid, somewhat future proof, and gives me a quality image.

Please advise with your knowledge/experience.

Thanks all.

Originally posted by Gstmike View Post
    So I've been doing my research for the last several months and, as expected, I haven't found a consensus on the specs I need to get a good clear image recording indoors.
    I wrote a thread some time ago explaining all the key camera specs and what they mean.

For a clear image I assume you mean no blurring. Blur is solely a function of shutter speed not fps. I could have crystal clear no blur with 1 fps! Anyway shutter speed is limited by available light which can most easily be increased with more light, or bigger sensors.

Geometric distortion is also an issue (ie shaft bend) and that is solved with a global shutter.
    ​​​​

Right now I am being told that a 480p@90fps, global shutter, 1/2" CCD sensor is plenty good enough and that many pros and instructors are using this same camera.
    It would be a decent low end of the serious cameras. It would have been good 10 years ago. 90 fps and 480p are yesterday's values, nowadays people expect higher resolution and faster fps.

Honestly though I don't think a good discerning pro teacher needs much to diagnose your swing. It's the amateur types that want super duper slow motion etc. So it really depends what you want.
    Last edited by FaultyClubs; 04-19-2018, 08:50 PM.

Comment

If have some old point grey cameras (at least 10 yrs old now) that only get 60fps, I use them in my garage paired with motionview software. It does good enough to fix all
      parts of your swing especially if you are pairiNg it will hmt data for clubhead etc. Picks up the shaft and club head well until just before impact.

Comment

That’s what I figured. $500 for 480p@90fps seems like a lot in 2018. I’m sure the camera works well enough but it just seems like you should be able to get better resolution/FPS for less today. I haven’t seen the actual video screen on FSX or swing catalyst yet but I figured if you want to look at both face on and down the line simultaneously you’re going to have two 4:3 images and not two 16:9 HD images side by side even if you DO have a camera capable of it. Then there’s the file size issue. I guess a higher resolution/FPS file is going to take up a lot more space and when you’re recording so many swings, real estate on your hard drive could get used up quick but I just figured I would get an external drive if that became an issue so not sure if it even IS an issue but that’s another reason the software companies don’t necessarily recommend higher resolution. Interested to hear others takes on this but not sure how many on this forum have 120FPS+ cameras with higher resolution (720p+) and if they feel it was worth the extra cost to get a camera capable of it. Hopefully others chime in here.

Comment

Hey guys. I have ordered a GC2 with HMT and I wanted to know how I can hook up two cameras to record swing while hitting on monitor. Does anyone have the laptop that foresight sends with the special they are offering? Does it do a good job with the cameras too?

Comment

Originally posted by Steggy0726
            Hey guys. I have ordered a GC2 with HMT and I wanted to know how I can hook up two cameras to record swing while hitting on monitor. Does anyone have the laptop that foresight sends with the special they are offering? Does it do a good job with the cameras too?
            I'm in the same boat. Should have the laptop on Tuesday and I'm going to also look into cameras. Don't have the time to dig around at the moment but I definitely want to add a face-on and down the line camera in the next few months.

Comment

• CBDBOZ
              CBDBOZ commented
              Editing a comment
              Any further updates here??... as now in same boat.... New Years resolution and all....
          Working...
          X