Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GC2 Questions

Hi all,

I have been lurking here for quite a while, but have now decided to post.

I am building an indoor practice area in a new storage area that is getting built at my house, and have decided that a used GC2 will be the best option for what i want. This is mainly because it seems easy to use and at some point I will be able to add HMT. I think i am pretty keen to get an Apple app compatible version if possible.

I don't live in the US so it seems that it restricts some oprions for purchasing a GC2, i have been trying to keep an eye on some EBay to see what they are selling for and if something i want to bid on comes up, however i am a bit nervous as i have seen some scams on there for GC2's. The odd one comes up for sale on these forums, but i am not sure on what they are really worth and I have a couple of questions i was hoping you guys could help with:

1. How much is a used but good condition GC2 or GC2a likely to cost? (e.g. i want to pay or offer a fair price depending on how i purchase

2. Could someone explain the security dongles to me:
    a. What exactly does it do?
    b. Do they all come with one as standard?
    c. Is this what software like FR1 and FSX is installed on (not the PC?)

3. How much does the software like FR1 and FSX cost and how do you get them? (is it different for non US residents?)

4. Does the software require an internet connection? Its likely that where i have it set up it will be out of range of the wifi.

Thanks for any help

Richie

All of the ebay scams have an image with text that says something along the lines of "I want to sell this now for $1500. Email me at xyz@gmail.com." As long as you buy it through ebay and don't contact them via an outside method, ebay's guarantee will protect you in the event that the item doesn't work or you don't receive it.

1. I would say a fair price for a GC2 is in the $3800-4200 range with apple compatible ones being on the higher end of the spectrum. Prices tend to be a little lower in the summer because people aren't stuck playing indoors yet.

2. The security dongles are what let you use Foresight's software. If the dongle isn't plugged in, the software won't start. Most GC2 listings on ebay do not include any software. Foresight doesn't sell FR1 anymore, so if you buy one with FR1, you won't be getting any updates down the road. I believe Foresight will give you some credit if you trade in an FR1 dongle while upgrading to FSX, but can't guarantee it.

3. I believe FSX is $3000 right now which includes 5 courses. You can just call them up and I'm sure they would be happy to take your money. Apparently they have a special now where you can add courses for $50/course which is the lowest price that they ever have. I don't know if it is different outside the US.

4. I am not sure if you need an internet connection. I know TGC needs internet if you wan't to play anything other than a handful of courses. JNPG also needs internet. Depending on how far away the storage area is, you might be able to find an outdoor wireless repeater to get coverage there.

Comment

Thanks for the responses Andy, that is really helpful.

At this point i am only thinking about using the range as i want to use this as more of a practice improvement tool, so hopefully being offline would be fine for that. I have to say $3k is a lot for software, so hopefully i will be able to find someone who can sell FR1 software to me.

Yeah a repeater could definately work, i have found them a little unreliable in the past but definately better than nothing.

Do things like TGC and JNPG have driving range/practice mode? If so do they need a dongle and how much do they cost?

Comment

In that case I would look for an apple compatible one and just use the iPad app which is free. TGC and JNPG have driving ranges. TGC is a one time $1000 purchase and JNPG is $250 per year plus some other small fees for tournaments and stuff. FR1 would be good for you too and is more suited for practicing than either of the other ones if you can find someone willing to sell it

Comment

Great, thanks again for your help. Looks like Apple is the way to go and hope i can get my hands on a FR1

Comment

• benjamin
            benjamin commented
            Editing a comment
            Still looking for FR1 software? I have a set of FR1 and 92 courses and can contact me if needed.

I believe the 'credit' to exchange FR1 to FSX is $1500 - so that still leaves a $1500 cost to get FSX even if you can get FR1. But then I believe there would also be a ownership transfer fee ($500??) you'd have to add on to do any business with foresight.

Comment

Hey guys new to the forum. I had a question as well. If I ordered one through Foresight CPO are the bluetooths locked out from using any other software like the quad is? Thanks.

Comment

• captnkrusty
              captnkrusty commented
              Editing a comment
              I purchased a refurb gc2 from Foresight. My unit works with TGC

• Steggy0726
              Steggy0726 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks man I appreciate the reply. Thinking about pulling the trigger on one.

Also from what I knew about FR1 as long as you were playing courses that you already owned and had downloaded I do not believe you need internet for them or the range.

Comment

Originally posted by andygg1986

3. I believe FSX is $3000 right now which includes 5 courses. You can just call them up and I'm sure they would be happy to take your money. Apparently they have a special now where you can add courses for $50/course which is the lowest price that they ever have. I don't know if it is different outside the US.
              Is the $50 course advertised somewhere? I picked up their gc2/HMT/FSX refurb bundle and would consider some extra courses for that price.

Comment

• sherrow70
                sherrow70 commented
                Editing a comment
                Check with your rep first course is $20 then every course after is $50. He will send you the complete list of courses.

• sherrow70
                sherrow70 commented
                Editing a comment
                Check with your rep first course is $20 then every course after is $50. He will send you the complete list of courses.

They sent a mail today.... and also has a special $20 rate for 1 standard course...

Comment

Hi another question, with the iPad app can you mirror this onto your tv using the HDMI cable? Anyone done this and are there any issues?

Comment

Yes, you can either connect it physically, or use an Apple TV to Airplay it. I use it without any issue.

Comment

Working...
                  X