Altitude Adjustments for TGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Altitude Adjustments for TGC

I see the setting for altitude adjustments in SkyTrak, although is there a way to adjust the altitude within TGC?

I guess technically you should use the altitude of the actual course you are playing (not sure if this is how it works), although it would be nice to tweak the altitude to what you are used to playing so club distances are consistent...

Thanks in advance.

You can only do it with the hardware interface.
    My Courses:
    World Par 3's by mthunt
    Toronto GC (L) mthunt
    Burlington G&CC by mthunt
    Weston G&CC by mthunt
    London Hunt Club L mthunt
    Park CC Lidar mthunt
    Sunningdale GC Robinson L
    Sunningdale GC Thompson L
    Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
    Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
    The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
    The National GC L mthunt
    Mississaugua GC L mthunt
    Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
    Markland Woods CC mthunt
    Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
    Magna GC L mthunt
    Barrie CC L mthunt
    mthunt Range

Comment

If you adjust the altitude in Skytrak app will the altitude adjustment be reflected in TGC or JNPG as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin_C View Post
        If you adjust the altitude in Skytrak app will the altitude adjustment be reflected in TGC or JNPG as well?
        The skytrak app is sepperate software. The launch monitor spits out numbers. Ball speed, spin, ect. The software takes the numbers to create ball flight. The interface will take a ball speed of 100 and add 5% then give that to TGC. You can't boost JNPG I believe.
        My Courses:
        World Par 3's by mthunt
        Toronto GC (L) mthunt
        Weston G&CC by mthunt
        Park CC Lidar mthunt
        The National GC L mthunt
        Mississaugua GC L mthunt
        Markland Woods CC mthunt
        Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
        Magna GC L mthunt
        Barrie CC L mthunt
        mthunt Range

Comment

Where does the 5% come from?

Comment

The interface for GC2's works in percentages. I just threw 5% in as it's the max boosts setting allowed in the tour. It goes up to 50 I think.
            My Courses:
            World Par 3's by mthunt
            Toronto GC (L) mthunt
            Weston G&CC by mthunt
            Park CC Lidar mthunt
            The National GC L mthunt
            Mississaugua GC L mthunt
            Markland Woods CC mthunt
            Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
            Magna GC L mthunt
            Barrie CC L mthunt
            mthunt Range

Comment

Originally posted by mthunt View Post

The skytrak app is seperate software. The launch monitor spits out numbers. Ball speed, spin, ect. The software takes the numbers to create ball flight. The interface will take a ball speed of 100 and add 5% then give that to TGC. You can't boost JNPG I believe.
              So where exactly do you go to make the adjustment for the the % boost to be utilized by TGC? Also curious what TGC assumes as the DEFAULT altitude or if its course dependent?

Found this article was a great resource to understand the effects of altitude, which will help to determine the multiplier setting to use:

https://www.titleist.com/teamtitleis...ll-performance

You can calculate the distance gain you will experience (compared to sea level) by multiplying the elevation (in feet) by .00116. For example, if you're playing in Reno, at 1 mile elevation (5,280 ft.) the increase is about 6% (5,280 x .00116 = 6.1248). If you normally drive the ball 250 yards at sea level, you will likely drive it 265 yards in Reno.

If you wanted to get even more realistic, it also mentions that shot shape won't be as pronounced at higher altitudes, and also the percentage boost will taper off as shot distance decreases.

I wonder how sophisticated the SkyTrak altitude settings is? If it just uses a constant multiplier or also reduces the multiplier as shot distance decreases? And also reducing shop shaping at higher altitudes?

Comment

it is most likely a constant multiplier in the skytrak software, and i wouldn't expect any changes to shot shape, especially when you look at the lack of consideration for spin decay.

Comment

I found the "Skytrak TGC Settings" which pulls up a config file with the following settings, is this what I adjust? What is the meaning of the various Boosts? If I don't select a club in TGC, how does it know which boost to use between Drive, Wood, Iron, Wedge, etc?

[Skytrak]
                  Horizontal Angle Correction=ON
                  Short Chip Correction=ON
                  Putting Correction=ON
                  Driver Boost=0
                  Wood Boost=0
                  Iron Boost=0
                  Wedge Boost=0
                  Putter Boost=0

Comment

There you go. All set. Remember only 5% boost is allowed for your play.
                    My Courses:
                    World Par 3's by mthunt
                    Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                    Weston G&CC by mthunt
                    Park CC Lidar mthunt
                    The National GC L mthunt
                    Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                    Markland Woods CC mthunt
                    Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                    Magna GC L mthunt
                    Barrie CC L mthunt
                    mthunt Range

Comment

Originally posted by mthunt View Post
                      There you go. All set. Remember only 5% boost is allowed for your play.
                      Is there any documentation on these settings? Some questions I have are....

1. Is 5% the maximum allowed ONLY if you want to play in tournaments? Otherwise you can set it to whatever you wish?
                      2. If you don't select a club when hitting a shot in TGC, how does it know which Boost to use (Driver, wood, Iron, etc)?
                      3. What altitude does TGC assume when playing course by default?

I could probably figure these out by trial and error, but ever better if someone knows the answers and can share

This would seem to allow you to reduce the boot on shorter shots, aligning more realistically to impact of altitude.

thanks!

Comment

• wbond
                        wbond commented
                        Editing a comment
                        2-TGC will auto select a club based on distance and estimated shot type. It always has a club selected and should therefore select the associated boost.

Originally posted by Virtualadam View Post

Is there any documentation on these settings? Some questions I have are....

1. Is 5% the maximum allowed ONLY if you want to play in tournaments? Otherwise you can set it to whatever you wish?
                      2. If you don't select a club when hitting a shot in TGC, how does it know which Boost to use (Driver, wood, Iron, etc)?
                      3. What altitude does TGC assume when playing course by default?

I could probably figure these out by trial and error, but ever better if someone knows the answers and can share

This would seem to allow you to reduce the boot on shorter shots, aligning more realistically to impact of altitude.

thanks!
                      1. For personal use, boost all you want. I don't care. Anything more than 5% for the tour is cheating.
                      2. Boost is dependant on the club so if driver has boost and 3 wood doesn't TGC needs to have driver selected to get the boost
                      3. It's the hardware, not TGC but it would be sea level.
                      My Courses:
                      World Par 3's by mthunt
                      Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                      Weston G&CC by mthunt
                      Park CC Lidar mthunt
                      The National GC L mthunt
                      Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                      Markland Woods CC mthunt
                      Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                      Magna GC L mthunt
                      Barrie CC L mthunt
                      mthunt Range

Comment

• jrz
                        jrz commented
                        Editing a comment
                        So, you’re saying that someone’s else picks the courses and makes the rules, and you and kiether are the enforcers. Can you please remind the community as to how you two came into this position of authority?

• mthunt
                        mthunt commented
                        Editing a comment
                        We are the tour commissioners. We pick the courses and enforce the rules.

• jrz
                        jrz commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You stated on another thread that you don’t pick the courses.
                        How did you become a tour commissioner?

An election for Tour Commissioner occurs every four years on TGC Tour Election Day, held the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. The next Tour Commissioner election will be held on November 3, 2020.

The election process begins with the primary elections and caucuses and moves to nominating conventions, during which tour players select a nominee to unite behind. The nominee also announces a running mate at this time. The candidates then campaign across the country to explain their selected tour courses and tour rules to voters and participate in debates with other candidates.

During the general election, TGC Tour Players head to the polls to cast their votes for the Tour Commissioners. But the tally of those votes—the popular vote—does not determine the winner. Instead, Tour Commissionors elections use the Electoral College. To win the election, a candidate must receive a majority of electoral votes. In the event no candidate receives the majority, the House of TGC Tour Players chooses the Tour Commissioners.

jrz may I suggest you start a new thread in "Online Play" with your TGC Tour course/rules suggestions, improvements and recommendations?

We welcome any constructive feedback that could help improving the overal TGC Tour experience!

Comment

• cooke23
                        cooke23 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        LOL. 😂. Wow......just wow.

• Jwheels9876
                        Jwheels9876 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        What solves the boost issue is nobody getting any boost in tournament play. Boost all you want outside of tournaments but everyone play what their launch monitors read out in tournaments. Problem solved

• mthunt
                        mthunt commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Jwheels, I agree with you 100%. I wish it could be locked down too but it cannot. No one should have boost IMHO.
                    Working...
                    X