X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing TGC Designer Tools and Real Course Recreation Lidar Import

Hi everyone!

I've been hard at work for the last month developing tools that primarily will import Lidar data into TGC 2019 Courses.

There have been a lot of ups and downs, but I'm at the point where I'm ready to accept feedback from the community.

A completed course file is available here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RYW...ew?usp=sharing

Please don't publish this course in game, it's not completed and I call 'dibs' on publishing this course after I finish decorating it.

I've completed the proof-of-concept phases and have created playable, realistic courses. I'm still working on the User Interface and instructions to make this the easiest that it can be, but I wanted to open the tools up for developers to contribute fixes.

The source code is available free on Github and releases will be available there under the "Releases" link. I'm targeting the initial release in a week or two as a Windows download:

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	37.9 KB ID:	184974

I also am supporting import from OpenStreetMap golf courses ( https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=1...576/-115.28536 ) into TGC as splines if you don't want the lidar elevation or can't get lidar for your course.

Quick tips if you want to get started on your OpenStreetMap course: use the highest quality sat image available, map greens along the inside of THE FRINGE, map bunkers on the outside lip, map water on the outside lip.

For more information on the process or if you want to support future features of this tool, please read here: https://www.patreon.com/chadgolf

I hope this brings enjoyment to everyone. We all have courses that are personally meaningful to us, and I hope this software inspires you to create something for the community.
    - Chad

Special thanks to MTHunt, crazycanuck1985, friendBOMBER, and HTdumps for initial feedback and guidance.

Instructions and a tutorial linked from this page: https://chadrockey.github.io/TGC-Designer-Tools/
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ChadGolf; 02-07-2019, 07:06 PM.

• I've spent a few hours trying to figure out how to obtain EPSG codes for various courses when the metadata doesn't contain it. I'm sure its so easy what do you have to do?

*edit* I think I found it, using the EPSG map coordinate picker thingy haha

*edit, edit* No, that didn't work lol.
    Last edited by RussWest44; 03-08-2019, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Last edited by BadEddieKit; 03-08-2019, 08:26 PM. Reason: Wrong place

Comment

• I have to say LIDAR is the only way to do a sims course, amazes me as to how well it does. We are being blessed with a little more rain, along with lots of lightning and my sims room is still not cleared out so I have been playing with the course design, not as much fun as golf but it keeps me occupied.

Comment

• ChadGolf I was able to successfully import LiDAR data that I had to classify. I only classified the ground points. The green contours aren’t really close to real. Would there be anyth8ng in my OSM mapping that could affect that? If I can figure out the green contours everything else will move quickly. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

• ChadGolf
            ChadGolf commented
            Editing a comment
            If the quality of the lidar points is bad or the classification was done poorly, quick, or through lastools lasground/lasclassify the greens may not turn out right. You may need to manually sculpt the greens for play. I know this has to be done oh the ohio 2006/2007 data.

• delta1274
            delta1274 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Chad.

• Anyone know where the Fk the 2019 simulator version installs to? I'm trying to find the .course file I made to try this lidar stuff out and it's nowhere to be found. I'm not paying $49 for the PC version because I'll never play it.

Comment

• ChadGolf
            ChadGolf commented
            Editing a comment
            AppData is hidden by default.

Select the Start button, then select Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization.
            Select Folder Options, then select the View tab.
            Under Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then select OK.

• Jwheels9876
            Jwheels9876 commented
            Editing a comment
            That did the trick! found my course file. Now onto the LAS file issue

• Fhacker
            Fhacker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes meant to mention to "unhide" files. I had already done that a few months back when manually transferring course files from TGC2 to 19 sim

• awesome. now I'm wondering why it says LAS file is available but the download is only the LAZ file? I know this is one of those things that once you do it, it comes easy but I am struggling every step of the way so far lol

Comment

• Jwheels9876
            Jwheels9876 commented
            Editing a comment
            hope I just found it. clicked on metadata and it brought me to a page with info and a downloads link was there and says LAS, LAZ, and Metadata files

• ChadGolf
            ChadGolf commented
            Editing a comment
            Las or laz will work. Just try to include one of the xml metadata in the same folder if you can.

• Jwheels9876
            Jwheels9876 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for all the help. I'm gonna get back at it tomorrow night to see if I can get it to work.

• Got up a little early this morning and inside of 40 minutes had a new course with 2 holes mapped on OSM built in the 2019 Alpha.

ChadGolf could you add your twitch video link in the original post here? It took me almost as long to find that then it did to build a course

what you did with this tool is amazing !

Comment

• Jwheels9876. Congrats on getting it working. Yes Chad's tool is amazing after u get it working. (That just doesn't sound right, HA)

Comment

• Jwheels9876
              Jwheels9876 commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol...it sure doesn't

• Has anyone had luck with the trees importing?
            My Courses:

DGWCBETA1 (L)
            Shack's Window Co. Beta1 (L)
            Quarry Golf Club V2 (L)
            Metamora Fields V1 (L)
            Metamora Fields Par 3 (L)
            University Ridge V1 (L)
            Stonewall_North_gCool/B33 (L)
            Stonewall_Old_gCool/B33 (L)
            Green Hill G.C. V2(L)
            The Bear Forest CC V2 (L)
            Perkins & Friends V1 (L)
            Bellewood CC V1(L)
            Stonewall North Par 3 (L)
            Stonewall Old Par 3 (L)
            The Ranch V1 (L)
            Shenandoah BlueRed V1 (L)

Comment

• Jwheels9876
              Jwheels9876 commented
              Editing a comment
              I did but not nearly all of them that were on the course but not too bad either.
              It's a shame that the designer is just too sloppy to get around in the Alpha version. The stupid mouse pointer doesnt even line up to where you're pointing it.

• Yeah, use an Xbox Controller on PC. It’s immensely easier.

Comment

• New Release out now: 0.2.2:

Detects a lot more of the trees now, allows tree variety, and reduces the output .course file size.

Full changelog and download available on the release page that's listed here on the project's homepage: https://chadrockey.github.io/TGC-Designer-Tools/

Comment

• Jwheels9876
                Jwheels9876 commented
                Editing a comment
                You're the man. I already laid out 3 local courses in less than 3 days of learning through your tutorial.
                Now I just gotta learn everything involved in the designer

• Fhacker
                Fhacker commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow Chad quit already. Just kidding. I have three courses in good playable stage and now this makes me want to redo all three. The MAN indeed.

• BGCurtis2nd
                BGCurtis2nd commented
                Editing a comment
                Great work, this is the only way to build a course.

• I got to the step where I am downloading my Lidar data in my cart. However, the only option is Download LAZ (no option to download LAS). Anyone know how to fix this?

I cannot open the LAZ file. Do not have an app to run it. Thanks in advance.

Comment

• WPStangs
                WPStangs commented
                Editing a comment
                BGCurtis2nd I received this message while it was trying to process:
                Could not find metadata for USGS_LPC_AR_NRCS_A2_2016_15SVS0495_LAS_2017.laz.
                Could not determine lidar projection, please report an issue and send this lidar and metadata

Any fix for this? I may be a lost cause!

• ChadGolf
                ChadGolf commented
                Editing a comment
                WPStangs, you lucked out and this data is easy:

Enter Force EPSG: 26915 , leave Force Units Blank

• WPStangs
                WPStangs commented
                Editing a comment
                ChadGolf You rock. It worked! Now just to decorate and clean up. Thanks so much.

• Yes, this greatly increases the value of the software IMO.

Comment

• ChadGolf I'm working on a new course in a different county that has LiDAR from 2012. The new version 0.2.2 is identifying over 15k trees and is processing the height assessment. When I move to the select and import heightmap and OSM into the course that process runs fine except that zero trees are mapped. I do have the boxes checked in the course options. When I use version 0.2.1, It identifies many trees, albeit not in the right locations. Any thoughts on what might cause this?

Comment

• ChadGolf
                  ChadGolf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Do you have OSM Trees Not Checked? And On the right hand side: Add Trees from Lidar?

• delta1274
                  delta1274 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I did have the boxes checked correctly. The LiDAR resource only had ground points classified. I found another source that had trees classified. It worked great with the updated LiDAR data

• Hopefully someone can help, maybe ChadGolf ??

The only lidar point cloud data for my course i'd like to do is from 2016, the course was dismantled in 2015, so several areas have been altered dramtically.

so ideally i'd like an earlier data set.

I have access to earlier Lidar data, in 2005 there appears to be full data coverage but this data is only in DSM or DTM formats. I have no knowledge to whether these files can be used or converted to work using chads tool, can anyone help?

I've tried converting these files (asc) to (laz or las) using lastools, but chads tool says data not classified.

So I then tried using various lastools (lasclassify and lasground) to classify the data and now chads tool will now run the data but the end result is nothing like it should be, so something not right.

Is anyone aware of a way I can use DSM or DTM tiles in a way the game can read, and what i'd need to do to use them?

Comment

• jimmer007
                  jimmer007 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  very helpful thanks.....

• ChadGolf
                  ChadGolf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don’t think DTM will be accurate enough for this given they are merged and usually low resolution.

It might eventually happen, but it’s not something I can put 20 hours into right now. Hope you understand.

Sounds like your close. Take your DTM-> LAS -> Mark All Points as Classication 2, then it should import.

• jimmer007
                  jimmer007 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ChadGolf

"Sounds like your close. Take your DTM-> LAS -> Mark All Points as Classication 2, then it should import."

Thank you for your help, but 'm not sure how to do the above?

Is this using LASTools? there's so many to choose from, I'm sorry I just don't know where to start.

there's 2013 & 2005 data For LiDAR dtm and dsm?

The new updated tool imports the trees brilliantly, forests so much better populated now, just wish I could get some data for my course earlier than 2015 so I can crack on with planting etc.
              Working...
              X