Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Slope books from Lidar Data?

Good Morning and Happy Golf Season!

I have built multiple golf courses for The Golf Club 2019 using the tutorial and software from the following site https://chadrockey.github.io/TGC-Des.../TUTORIAL.html

This has worked great and has given me accurate greens in my courses.

I was curious if anyone has thought about using this same data to try and create green reading books for actual courses using liar data. I am not sure who wrote the original app for the course creation, but maybe it would be a simple change to create something that could be used for creating a top level green "photo" with slope percentage data.

Thanks,
    Josh

I thought about doing this in a manual manner. Take a screen shot of each green, then in designer you could hover the mouse around the green and manually record elevation points for various areas of the green.

I think it would be very helpful in getting ready to play a course in real life for the first time.
    My published Courses, all Lidar:

My Early Courses:
    Boyne Arthur Hills Lidar2
    Boyne Donald Ross LidarV2
    Boyne Moor Lidar
    BoyneHeather5T Lidar V2
    CalderoneFarmsLidar5T2Pin
    Lake Erie Metro Lidar3
    Marco Island CC Lidar3
    Willow Metropark Lidar5
    Wyandotte Shore Lidar2

Later Courses:
    Fraserglen Golf Course, British Columbia
    Meadowbrook Northville (L)
    The Glen (Illinois) Lidar
    Deer Park Estate GC, Scotland
    Green Craig Point GC, Scotland
    Red Rock GC Las Vegas MTN
    Ottumwa Country Club
    And Many More...

Comment

I was thinking of doing the same, but it could be awesome if we could use the same lids data to automatically point those points in a photo.

Comment

Joshsmit56001 - sounds like a great idea, do you think ChadGolf would have a solution? Otherwise, I think you're stuck with doing it manually as jpotas says? I could see that would be very valuable, not only for playing a course IRL, but also when playing in the Sim and hitting into greens - would be cool to have a book like that for every course, or an option on how to get one made easily.

Comment

Brettster I definitely agree. I would buy some of the green reading books out there, but they are so over priced its a joke. Hopefully someone has some cool ideas to do this.

Comment

In case anyone wants to take the easy way out on this, GolfLogix has 20% off this week for the Masters. The app is down to $40 for a 1 year subscription. It has the greens mapped for a lot of the courses around me. I would prefer a hard copy book instead of an app, but when you can buy one book for the same price as the app, I just can't justify it.

Comment

• Brettster
              Brettster commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks andygg1986 , I'll check that out, that is a good deal... There are a lot of specials going on this week because of Masters. You're right, $40/year if it covers every course in your area is nice, I will have to see how many of mine it covers.

I assume (not having ever had one) that Green books deal in millimeters when it comes to accuracy... whereas Lidar data is far less granular and depends on the dataset available where your course is - i've seen this anything from 25cm to 2m. So referring to the original idea, I'm not sure a Lidar green book would be much use beyond a very general sense of slope, and no better than the eye could determine.

I may be wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by Neepster View Post
              I assume (not having ever had one) that Green books deal in millimeters when it comes to accuracy... whereas Lidar data is far less granular and depends on the dataset available where your course is - i've seen this anything from 25cm to 2m. So referring to the original idea, I'm not sure a Lidar green book would be much use beyond a very general sense of slope, and no better than the eye could determine.

I may be wrong...
              I would agree with you to an extent, but with the number of courses that Golf Logix has in its lists I bet you a nickel they use Lidar data or something similar for a huge number of those courses. In my creation of courses in TGC, I have found that the Lidar data is pretty dang accurate. I don't need exact, I just wanna know where the slopes and changes on the green are Lidar should provide that.

Comment

Working...
              X