Final decision on making a purchase for a Skytrak or GC2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final decision on making a purchase for a Skytrak or GC2

I have researched and researched this now for four weeks. I plan on playing a lot of tournaments on TCG and JNPG. Their is no question the Skytrak is A better value. However regarding the misreads I have read about and the issue with chipping and putting on the Skytrak is it worth the price to buy a GC2? Is it really a big issue with SkyTrak?I actually like the design of the ST and the ease of use with 3rd party vendor software better then GC2. Please let me know your thoughts or experience with both systems. TIA

I was having issues with the SkyTrak, but as soon as I started placing the logo to the camera they all went away. If you decide to go with the SkyTrak you may have some growing pains as you get it set up for "your" area. I had mine set up and then made changes to my hitting mat, and started having some issues again. But I made it the same height as my new mat and it's back to normal. So there is a curve to get going to find what works for you and your area. But once it is set up for the money it's hard to beat the SkyTrak in my opinion if money is a consideration.

Really the only issue that remains is the really high lofted shots from short range. Those still do not come out 100% accurate, but again for the investment I'm okay with that at this point. SkyTrak has a proven track record of making improvements, which I love to see from a company. So far I'm very happy with my purchase.

Comment

Very helpful thank you. What hitting mat has worked best for you?

Comment

• MainStGolf
        MainStGolf commented
        Editing a comment
        I currently use a CCE hitting mat, with just an average stance mat. These are nice mats, but they are very penal on mishits. More than likely will be going back at some point to a DivotAction style mat.

I love my Skytrak and really never have a mishit or misread. However, I have two friends that come over from time to time. We played 18 holes last Sunday friend 1 had 4 shot that did not record and friend 2 had 3 during our match. I had none and never really do. have not idea on the difference. There shots where all decent. I have to change my never to if I hit is really bad the Skytrak will not read it.

Comment

Thanks for info

Comment

Just get a gc2 and experience seamless performance straight out of the box. No messing around with red dots, logos, lighting or worrying about white shoes etc... No shot delay or misreads plus great resale value (probably doesn't apply because you will never sell it!) Built to last. Plus the software is really good (I have fr1). You won't regret it. Best purchase I have ever made. I use mine all the time. You get what you pay for...

Comment

• shimonko
            shimonko commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree - for something that works straight out of the box, GC2 is the go. It's a matter of luck whether the SkyTrak will just work for your area or you need to spend weeks working out what's causing it to muck up.

The question is, is that, plus the slight improvement in accuracy, worth paying 3 times the price for - plus the fortune replacement flashes cost and the cost of FR1. When my SkyTrak is finally happy, I find I get no no-reads whereas the GC2 users I'm playing against will routinely have maybe 1 or 2 a round, one regularly has 5 or so. Plus the Android and PC software are extremely good for manufacturer-ware.

Thanks so much

Comment

I have only used a GC2 but I love it. I think the easiest way to put it is that I have never heard of anyone selling their GC2 because they would rather have a Skytrak and some extra cash. I have seen people sell their Skytrak to fund a GC2 purchase though.

Comment

Hard to argue with skytraks value. However, if you expect to play a lot. Just buy the gc2. You will never regret it. For PG, it’s flawless in GC2. People that have played on both usually say that they are what they are. Skytrak is a great value but when you get a gc2 you will see that you are not just paying for marketing fluff or branding, it’s a higher quality launch monitor that simply costs more.

while I understand you concern about software for the gc2. Foresight simply is not supporting 3rd party software but it does work well and the unit can run old firmware forever.

Comment

I just bought Skytrak. I went through the same dilemma. For me, I figured I I'd just start with Skytrak. If I'm unhappy, I can always sell and it and upgrade in the future. Skytrak has held its value exceptionally well. I see used ones going for $1500-$1750 all the time. Hopefully, I won't feel the need to upgrade. If I do, I won't be out much.

Comment

Thanks I guess you really cant go wrong. If you you buy a Skytrak your might have some headaches in the simulator. If you buy the GC 2 you would only have headaches with your wife explaining why you spent 7k plus. Thanks again this is great site and always very helpful.

Comment

Buy this one used and worst case you likely won't be out much at all should you not like it.
                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foresight-GC...4AAOSwDc1Zyq-I

I would start off with a 4 or 4.5K offer.

Be aware if you ever need repairs, you would need to pay a foresight registration fee of $500. I would still opt for a used one at 4.5k vs a refurb for more but that's just me.

Comment

thanks I am actually watching that item on eBay.

Comment

What did you end up buying? I bought the skytrak myself. Couldn't justify the cost of the gc2 at this time especially with all the other cost of building my first sim. Was planning on around 3k and wound up going to 5k in price when all said and done. I will probably upgrade some point in time but as of now have no complaints whatsoever with my skytrak at this time. It will have a miss reads from time to time on a terribly shanked shot or a toed flop shot over the unit but I have played several rounds with zero miss reads. Hope this helps! feel free to pm me if you have any questions. Im running jnpg at the moment but once I get some more money saved up I'll be getting tgc as well. Here is a link to my setup. Still a work in progress but for being up a little over a week its getting there. https://flic.kr/s/aHsm4Hzxq1
                        Last edited by Meatmiller; 10-24-2017, 03:44 PM.

Comment

I am going to get the Skytrak. I have to upgrade my projector and computer also so just too much money when you add a GC2. I have an optishot now and the non 1080p projector and computer are fine for that. The better graphics on TGC require a computer upgrade as well. I'm sure I will update in a few years to something else. I am waiting to buy early next month just waiting to see if any holiday sales come up.

Comment

Working...
                          X