Building Commercial Simulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Commercial Simulator

I have a large hobby shop in Michigan (model kits, slot cars etc) that I would like to set up a commercial golf simulator. The room can be up to 20 wide x 24 long x 12 high. I am leaning toward the new Uneekor system and Carles Premium screen. I would greatly appreciate any advice on 1. recommended room size, 2. recommended screen size, 3. Hitting Mat - Large enough for both right and left hand hitters, 4. Putting area (can I use carpet from Lowes) for simulator, 5 and anything else. After doing some research on this forum, I plan on using drapes for the size walls and foam for the the ceiling. Going to build my own screen protector frame using EMT pipe. I realize that this is a lot to ask, but I any advice (even if its just to tell me I am crazy) is greatly appreciated.

Use the whole space, you will need it.
    Screen size would be 16 x 10 or 16x9.
    Hitting mat should be fiberbuilt, they last.
    Not sure where you will put the putting area, but best to go with something like NP50 or similar.

Comment

Thank you for wbond for the recommendation. Do you think I could use NP50 putting surface to cover the complete floor with the Fiberbuilt mat setting on top?

Comment

I agree with wbond on all his points. For a commercial setup I would cover the complete floor with NP50 and then either cutout an area for the Fiberbuilt hitting mat and insert it to the same height as the NP50 or custom make a gel pad for below the NP50 surface in the hitting area. You want the hitting surface to be the same height as the stance area and standing on the NP50 will be fine. The seamless look for a commercial sim would be nice.

Comment

• Gman17
          Gman17 commented
          Editing a comment
          GoldenSim, does the NP50 give you true putting rolls?

• GoldenSim
          GoldenSim commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Gman17 - sorry for the delayed reply. I'm not sure what you mean by true putting rolls? I find it great for practicing putting. A little slower than I would ideally like, but it runs at about 10 on the stimp, and should get faster the more I use it and vacuum it! Overall I'm super happy. My local club just used the same for their mini putt course and are very happy.

Does NP50 have enough padding that a shot off the impact screen won't bounce too much? I too, am building a sim and was looking at using https://turffactorydirect.com/produc...36-padded-5mm/ . I have samples coming so I can do some ball drop testing.

Comment

• GoldenSim
          GoldenSim commented
          Editing a comment
          My entire floor in front of the screen is NP50 (as many people have) and I've never had a problem with too much bounce when a ball drops back to the floor

By the way, if you are looking at commercial grade black out curtains, check these guys out: https://blackoutcurtains.com/ Besides the side curtains, I am having them make a big rectangle (13' x 15' plus 5%/10%) for my ceiling. They will be putting grommets every foot and I am going to nail it to my frame. Any errant high shots will be absorbed by the extra 5%/10% of material and I will have a total dark enclosure.

Comment

I just put Synlawn Precision Putt turf in my new studio and absolutely love it. Picked it up locally at a dealer for $3.69/ft (normally the full roll price). Stimps at 8.5, lays perfectly flat, has a soft rubber backing, and putts roll smooth and pure.

I laid it directly on my raised plywood subfloor and there’s very little bounce. Having the subfloor let me cut two cups in it and use a silicone gel pad under the hitting area for a TrueStrike clone hitting area.

Tried the TFD Nylon 36 UR from TurfFactoryDirect first in an attempt to save money ($1.75/ft), but it stimps at 5.5 and doesn’t roll pure. It would make a good surface if you don’t plan to practice putting on it - it also has very little bounce when laid directly on plywood. If anyone is near Austin, I’ll make them a good deal on that brand new TFD roll (12x17’). It has a 1/8” rubber backing and makes a good hitting surface, too.
          - Ron at GunghoGolf.com - we specialize in TrackMan, FlightScope, Foresight, Uneekor, SkyTrak, Garmin, Bushnell, TGC, and E6 Connect. 512-861-4151 or email hello AT gunghogolf.com.

Comment

I'd have at leat 5000 lumens with your projector

Comment

Working...
            X