Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @simmb (NET) and @Joe_S (GROSS) winning the TGC1 2020 SUMMER TOUR - Northern Trust !

Join this weeks TGC1 2020 SUMMER TOUR - BMW Championship with 2 rounds at Oakmont Country Club (ProTee Blue): https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...w-championship
See more
See less

Advice for new sim user

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for new sim user

Hi all

As a 28 handicapper and fairly new golfer, have been searching through these forums recently and found some great info. Was just hoping to get some advice for my situation on a first sim.

As luck would have it, I've only got 8.2ft height in my garage (without doing a massive truss overhaul in the garage) so I know I'm not in a great position there (I'm 5'9) . I've bought a decent hitting mat and net which seem to work well. Although my trusses do have decent width. When in the 'right' position I've been able to swing my 5 iron, hitting a truss on follow through about 1 in 20 swings. But this has been enough to cause issues already with 'indoor swing' and sub-consciously being concerned about hitting something in my swing.

As I'm going for lessons weekly, my primary is to work on getting my swing consistent and to practice what I'm being taught at lessons - maybe with a shorter club like a 7 or 8 iron (considering height restriction)

I was super keen on buying the Skytrak but in the UK it's £2000. US for some reason is $1495 (sale!) . So major investment where I think given above would get limited use - next house I move to I'll be checking on heights for sure to build a full sim setup!

My biggest issue in my swing is that I swing 'over the top' out to in which is what I'm trying to fix so have been wondering about whether an optishot might be a better value investment given my aims and current restrictions as well as it's ability to track swing path etc.

Any thoughts or ideas much appreciated!

Steve

Last edited by elstevo; 09-04-2019, 07:09 PM.

Skip the optishot, you will not be happy unless you're only objective is to play a game while drinking with your friends.

Comment

Elstevo,
      if you you need help in the UK we will be happy to advise www.proteeuk.co.uk, www.inswinggolf.co.uk
      Email jamie@proteeuk.co.uk

Comment

Agree with wbond. Bypass the optishot. IMO is not accurate and you most probably will get frustrated with misreads. If you cannot afford skytrak . Perhaps Rapsodo R-Motion may be an affordable entry into the sim world without the need for screen projector, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynchdpm View Post
          Agree with wbond. Bypass the optishot. IMO is not accurate and you most probably will get frustrated with misreads. If you cannot afford skytrak . Perhaps Rapsodo R-Motion may be an affordable entry into the sim world without the need for screen projector, etc.
          Thanks guys. I was slightly concerned already about Optishot regarding accuracy (and being more social activity than training aid) and your comments have sealed it! Re Skytrak the primary issue I have is height, which means I wouldn't be able to hit anything longer than a 7 iron and although I plan on moving home in 2 years or so, by then there might be newer hardware. So for me thats a decent investment for a 50/50 sim, if I had the space etc it would be a no brainer

Thanks for mentioning the R-motion somehow I hadn't come across it. Judging by reviews on this forum it looks like a great option for my situation.

Cheers

Comment

I found R motion to be significantly better than optishot, but no where near as good as a skytrak.

Comment

There are always used skytraks for sale do to people upgrading. Even if you could only swing 7-wedge those are your scoring clubs so it could be very beneficial to your game improvement.

Comment

I have to disagree with the Optishot opinions. I've had the Optishot 2 for a bit now. I use it in the garage on a hitting mat, shooting into a net, watching on a big screen TV.
                The optishot has most definitely helped my game. I'm a 19 handicapper now but started the season at 21. I give the Optishot credit on that one. I thought at first the Optishot was wrong because all my shots seemed much shorter than real life, but when on the real course I started using clubs the OS2 would have suggested , and damn if it wasn't dead on!
                I was thinking about matching the Optishot with the SwingCaddie SC2000 launch monitor. Will probably build an enclosure this winter and I'll still be $1000's under what some of these systems cost.
                Putting sucks on it though. But for a 20 handicapper, it will absolutely help your game without blowing your wallet

Comment

Thanks all. I've ordered the R Motion, waiting for shipment from the US.

Seems to be a great option to get started with (as long as you know shortcomings going in) and will keep eyes on the used Skytrak market for used and special offers. I see you can even integrate the two which would be an excellent prospect.

Thankfully I've got spare PC components already so just need to build a semi decent gaming rig using those and I should have a good entry level sim setup for under £350 ($450)

Thanks again for all your insights here.

Comment

Working...
                  X