Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Joe_S (NET) and @Joe_S (GROSS) winning the TGC1 2021 WINTER TOUR - ATT Pebble Beach Pro-Am !

Join this weeks TGC1 2021 WINTERTOUR - The Genesis Open playing 2 rounds at Oakmont Country Club (ProTee Green) - 6836y: https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...e-genesis-open
See more
See less

New Build Begun, The Journey Begins, etc...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Build Begun, The Journey Begins, etc...

Hello All,
    I have been reading this forum for about a year and decided to attempt to "fast track" my build since I have a bit of time available over the next few weeks. Here are the specs:
    1. I had 3 options as to where to build, and I chose the 2 car garage as it has the highest ceilings
    2. Dimensions of 2 car garage are as follows: 9'3" high, 24' across, apps 24' deep
    3. Skytrak and Microbay to be build foundation units

Order of Project:
    1. Eliminate clutter, tool area, workbench area, etc from 2 car garage and move to 3rd car garage area. 2-3 week process

1a. make 3rd car garage area a workshop area and storage for all things from 2 car garage in hopes of eventually having friends over for entertainment purposes.

2. Eliminate halogen lights in garage and replace with recessed LED lighting and dimmer. Lighting is same as I used for my basement, and is super easy to install and looks fantastic. $6/fixture. JULLISON LED 12 Packs 6 Inch Recessed Low Profile Slim Panel Light with Junction Box.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image11 copy.jpg
Views:	1265
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	305402

3. Acquire turf area-- artificial grass given to me by a friend that had just used it for an area of a new construction build. turf area rolled up and pulled out and measured in above photo. apps 8' x 24'. so cut in half for 12' width x 8' length.

4. Screen-- given a temporary damaged screen by a local indoor golf area as Microbay is 4-6 weeks out on shipping.

5. Skytrak-- of course, new is shipping early February, so i went to their vendor list and just started calling, and found one available at a country club in Idaho that was purchased for their shop but never used. So, was able to buy it from them as "used" for $1400

6. 5x5 hitting mat purchased from Allturfmats.com , as seen on eBay and amazon, but ordered directly from them. arrived in apps 6 days from ordering. Super Tee Golf Mat - 5' x 5'.https://www.allturfmats.com/Premium-...t-p/tt6060.htm.

with tray, free shipping, think was around 299 or just under 300. holds real tees and performs flawlessly. really love the feel of this. the grass above that was given to me is more like golf course rough, which is fantastic for putting under screen so it catches and holds all rebounds.

Name:	image10.jpeg
Views:	1263
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	305401

7. New Screen 1-2 weeks away: Allsportsystems.com Microbay with premium screen 9 x 12. I will place over existing screen with holes, and create surround. also, have decided that i will hang from ceiling and created a system so i can raise it up and secure it to the roof to do 2 things: 1. get out of way and 2. protect projector. I will connect it to the ceiling with the front of the frame, if possible, so it will fold up to the ceiling the way i have this "temporary" screen done.

Name:	microbay-golf-screen-1-900x675.jpg
Views:	1276
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	305405
    8. Projector-- BenQ 3200 lumen projector--MW817ST DLP Projector Short-Throw. purchased used on eBay for 175 dollars. is bright and looks fantastic. All cords and wires will be eliminated and tucked into the walls in the next few days, or as soon as i get time. again, screen is just placed temporarily and was given to me for free until new build arrives. I considered the remote option, but it just didn't fit into my budget or desired outcome. this is much less expensive, and will ultimately look and function as well or better. the screen will fold up and attach to the ceiling, protecting the projector, and the turf will easily roll forward into a roll which can be out of the way near the wall.

Name:	image1-5.jpeg
Views:	1261
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	305404
    9. Computer is a windows 10, quad core business computer with a crappy video card that i acquired from my office, along with a 42" monitor that we were not using.

10. blackout curtains purchased on amazon, to cover entry into 3rd car garage and window

Name:	image2-2.jpeg
Views:	2398
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	305397

11. golf area made in garage to store club things and a club washer which i purchased on amazon.

Name:	image_22048.jpg
Views:	1262
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	305403

-- again, holes in screen has caused me to put multiple holes in the wall behind, but i have temporarily remedied that with the turf for a temporary fix.
    -- addition of TGC 2019 will require an upgrade of the computer to a gaming system.
    -- upon final build, the turf will be cut and sized appropriately

Name:	image3-2.jpeg
Views:	1265
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	305398 Click image for larger version

Name:	image8.jpeg
Views:	1271
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	305399

Pros of this setup:
    -- placed in garage so i can get up early, stay out late, etc and won't bother rest of family
    -- garage door an be opened and it can be fresh and airy enviornment
    -- alterations and changes can occur without much expense and too much extra work due to size of space and flexibility of walls, ceiling, etc
    -- can be folded into ceiling and can still be used as 2 car garage.
    -- wife cannot even hear the impact in the house
    Cons of this setup:
    -- cold/hot issues must be solved with space heater or portable a/c unit if necessary
    -- must move car out to use (possibly both cars)
    --possibly going to need to move garage door opener to a side mount garage opener for taller people
    -- others not yet identified

See photos below of before, during, and current
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kdcdds; 12-21-2020, 03:14 AM.

Click image for larger version  Name:	simulator setup 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.4 KB ID:	320423 I am hitting from the 5x10 mat, which is approximately 10-11 feet from the screen, and i have missed the top of the screen with my 54 and 58 wedges a bit, so i just move up to the 5x5 mat, which is about 7' from the screen when i hit my high loft wedges.
    please disregard that the screen is not parallel/perpendicular to the mat, i had the mat moved for repairs

however, i have found that i much prefer the experience of being a bit closer, and it gives me more of a realistic feel.
    so, when i get my new screen, and finally mount my projector pefectly to fill the entire screen, i will likely cut the front of my mat and move it up about 2' to be 7-9' from the screen.

SO, MY BIG QUESTION TO YOU ALL IS: HOW FAR ARE MOST OF YOU FROM THE SCREEN WITH THE SKYTRAK AND HOW MUCH ROOM DOES THE SKYTRAK REALLY NEED?
    Last edited by kdcdds; 02-22-2021, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kdcdds View Post
      Click image for larger version Name:	simulator setup 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.4 KB ID:	320423 I am hitting from the 5x10 mat, which is approximately 10-11 feet from the screen, and i have missed the top of the screen with my 54 and 58 wedges a bit, so i just move up to the 5x5 mat, which is about 7' from the screen when i hit my high loft wedges.
      please disregard that the screen is not parallel/perpendicular to the mat, i had the mat moved for repairs

however, i have found that i much prefer the experience of being a bit closer, and it gives me more of a realistic feel.
      so, when i get my new screen, and finally mount my projector pefectly to fill the entire screen, i will likely cut the front of my mat and move it up about 2' to be 7-9' from the screen.

SO, MY BIG QUESTION TO YOU ALL IS: HOW FAR ARE MOST OF YOU FROM THE SCREEN WITH THE SKYTRAK AND HOW MUCH ROOM DOES THE SKYTRAK REALLY NEED?
      Skytrak does not need any room. The photos of the ball are taken within the first foot or so of flight and then it's done. Basically once the ball passes by the Skytrak unit the reading is finished. So it doesn't need any sort of minimum flight time like a radar unit does.

10-11 feet is a bit far if you don't have an enclosure over the top of the screen. I hit from just over 7 feet away with an enclosure that is 10 feet high and the enclosure prevents flop shots from going over the screen. Most people are probably more in the 9 foot area. I'm a bit closer due to space reasons. I think if I had a wider screen (mine is 9x9) I would want to be further back.

Comment

• kdcdds
        kdcdds commented
        Editing a comment
        my screen is approximately 9x12. looks smaller, because i am standing outside of my garage with the garage door open, when taking this photo. again, disregard screen that looks like swiss cheese. i am backordered for a new screen and surround, which hopefully will arrive next week. i have been waiting since early november for a new screen and surround

this is super cool, and wanted to share. i am sure you guys all probably already know about this, but this callaway shag bag/ ball dispenser has been a welcome addition and is super cool

Name:	IMG_5262.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	321222

Comment

Working...
      X