Foam Around Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foam Around Screen

I’m looking at buying a DIY from Carl’s. Website doesn’t show it, but Carl’s tells me they’ll sell foam (probably memory) at $7.50/ft to place on the conduit frame around the screen to prevent ricochets. Anybody else gotten that foam? Thoughts?

Originally posted by FierceVibe View Post
    I’m looking at buying a DIY from Carl’s. Website doesn’t show it, but Carl’s tells me they’ll sell foam (probably memory) at $7.50/ft to place on the conduit frame around the screen to prevent ricochets. Anybody else gotten that foam? Thoughts?
    If it what I think you’re talking about, then get the 1 inch pipe insulation like at Home Depot. Much cheaper, I think you can get like 6 feet sections for a few dollars

Comment

I have them. They sit behind the flaps on Carl’s screen. See pics attached. The cushioning is great on errant shots and they sit flush with the flaps giving it a very clean look. Yes, they are pricey but also convenient that they are the perfect size for the screen.

Comment

• GullLakeMi
      GullLakeMi commented
      Editing a comment
      This is great info. What do you mean by “flap” on screen? I have a Carl’s screen with grommets. Do you think it would work on a custom EMT frame?

• rkattech
      rkattech commented
      Editing a comment
      GullLakeMi - I got the screen with the diy enclosure so the screen has flaps that hide the frame. And the foam insert sits between the frame and the flap. Yes, it should work on whatever frame you use that is sized to the screen in my opinion.

• richerod
      richerod commented
      Editing a comment
      What are the dimensions of foam triangular wedge?

I built my foam pads around the frame. 2” high density foam on 1/2” osb covered in marine vinyl. Only difficult part was devising a method to attach the vertical pads to the 1” emt frame, used a french cleat design for that.
    Custom building the pads allowed a cleaner fit to the room walls, ceiling and floor.

Comment

• Nugget
      Nugget commented
      Editing a comment
      please post pics as I am going crazy trying to figure out a frame around screen that absorbs shots and looks good. Your idea has me thinking. Send me pics please, including how you mounted. Thanks.

I am in agreement of paying for quality. Marine carpet to me is not something I can see a big quality difference. Marine carpet by nature has certain characteristics.

Comment

I ended up buying foam from Home Depot, putting it in fabric and velco to frame. More specifically: Gutterstuff foam gutter guard. It’s made of hard foam in a triangle shape that’s 48” long. I used 2 end to end and wrapped them in black denim (cut and safety pinned for now) and attached to sides of cage by screen with point towards golfer. Makes a nice boarder and no way for ball to deflect straight back now. I attached using Velcro to side curtain/net. Probably could identify better attachment method. Was bit tedious to apply, but holding well. My cage has a low roof so top crossbar can be hit with lob wedge. I hung a 12” piece of black denim as a baffle 4”’s out from top crossbar across width of screen. This hanging fabric catches high shots and slows them down. Fit my solution as top of screen was not used for 4:3 video anyway. Could have used foam solution on top as well with good attachment solution. The foam, fabric solution is cheap as well. Velcro was most expensive part.

View of cage...

I...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2085.jpg
Views:	8184
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	329157

View of left side bottom. Wedge is widest at screen, thin towards golfer, angled slightly since I attached it to netting.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2086.jpg
Views:	7829
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	329158
      Here is view from outside cage looking at same corner. You can see the profile of the wedge aligned on side with netting. White strip is velco. I attached self-stick velcro to fabric. I took the other piece of velcro and put it outside netting. I didn't take the white adhesive cover off the outside piece as not using it in my application.

Name:	IMG_2087 (1).jpg
Views:	7805
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	329159

Because I only have a 10' wide cage, balls do occasionally hit right side with right handed golfer. This absolutely stops the bounce back. Worse case is ball get between wedge and net and detaches velco.

Comment

I placed rolled moving blankets in front of my frame. The lighter weight blankets are better fit than heavy ones. The rolled blankets fit within Carl's velcro borders. The moving blankets absorb the energy from the ball and are an inexpensive purchase off of Amazon.

Comment

I'm using some foam triangles I bought online from https://foamonline.com/wedge/. I got 4"x4"x48" pieces (2 for each side and 2 for the bottom). x6 4' long pieces came to about $90 after tax, shipping, etc. They arrived yesterday and I wrapped them in custom velcro holders that Peak's Tarp's made for me. Overall I'm really happy with the result.

Name:	20210722_122603.jpg
Views:	7786
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	338139

Comment

Great solution! I am going to remember that one.

Comment

I used ball bungees to attach my screen to the emt on the top and sides. I ran a cable between the emt and screen. I then zip tied black marine carpet (heavy duty double sided tape on the screen) to the cable and zip tied netting from harbor freight to the cable as well.

This way the emt is hidden from all balls and it's​​​​​​ held up and looks great. Also, if you put a shank board next to your tee location you can eliminate the need for side netting/protection.

Comment

Originally posted by TD22057 View Post
                I'm using some foam triangles I bought online from https://foamonline.com/wedge/. I got 4"x4"x48" pieces (2 for each side and 2 for the bottom). x6 4' long pieces came to about $90 after tax, shipping, etc. They arrived yesterday and I wrapped them in custom velcro holders that Peak's Tarp's made for me. Overall I'm really happy with the result.

Can you tell me what foam you selected for the wedges? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by TD22057 View Post

Could you share some additional images of your custom solution using Peaks Tarp velco holders u hade made.

Comment

The foam I ordered was "High Resilience Foam" and "Extra Firm". I don't know if that was the best choice or not but it has worked great.

For the curtains, I drew out what I wanted and set it to Peaks. All the velcro is 2".

Side curtains: I had them run two strips of loop (soft) velcro 5" and 10" from the end of the curtain on the front side. That's what you see in the picture above (the part facing up)
                    Side foam holders: The strip that holds the foam on the curtain was 14" wide with hook (hard) velcro on the back side at the left and right edges.

The bottom foam cover on mine is floating (it's not attached to anything). I had them make a curtain that was 16" wide with hook (hard) velcro on the back of the panel on one edge and loop (soft) velcro on the front of the panel on the other edge. This makes a tube that wraps the wedge and lays on the ground in front of the screen.

In hind sight, I'd probably adjust the side curtain dimensions. As you can see, the loops could probably be spaced another inch apart (5" and 11") which would also pull the cover a little tighter on the foam. Or maybe make the cover 13" wide. It works fine as it is now too - I'm not 100% sure those mods are better than what I did but they might be.

Comment

Here's a more detailed list of what I ordered from Peaks. My setup is pretty custom - all the panels are separate and the screen swings out using the conduit on the right side as a hinge (I have storage behind the screen). But this should give you some idea of the detail level of the order.

One(1) Black Golf Simulator Floor Baffle, 8’4”H x 1'4”W
                      - made from 600x300D PVC-Backed Polyester (Non-Fire-Retardant)
                      - black 2”-wide Hook (Hard) Velcro sewn vertically on the BACK of the panel flush with one long (8'4") edge
                      - black 2”-wide Loop (Soft) Velcro sewn vertically on the FRONT of the panel flush with the other long (8'4") edge
                      - standard fold-over hem

One (1) Black Golf Simulator Ceiling Baffle, 6’0”L x 9’0”W
                      - black grommets every 12” on ALL 4 SIDES
                      - black 2”-wide polypropylene webbing on the hem, on the front-facing side (facing downward)

One (1) Black Golf Simulator Left-Side Curtain, 8’7”H x 5’10”W
                      - black Ball Carriers (from the PVC Track System) every 12” or less, evenly spaced, on the TOP side
                      - black grommets every 12” or less, evenly spaced, on the LEFT and RIGHT sides
                      - (2) strips of black 2”-wide Loop (Soft) Velcro sewn vertically @ 5” and 10” from the RIGHT edge
                      - standard fold-over hem

One (1) Black Golf Simulator Right-Side Curtain, 8’9”H x 5’10”W
                      - black Ball Carriers (from the PVC Track System) every 12” or less, evenly spaced, on the TOP side
                      - black grommets every 12” or less, evenly spaced, on the LEFT and RIGHT sides
                      - (2) strips of black 2”-wide Loop (Soft) Velcro sewn vertically @ 5” and 10” from the LEFT edge
                      - standard fold-over hem

Two (2) Black Golf Simulator Corner Baffles, 8’0”H x 1’2”W each
                      - black 2”-wide Hook (Hard) Velcro sewn vertically on the BACK of each panel (on both the LEFT and RIGHT sides, flush with the edge)
                      - standard fold-over hem

One (1) Black Golf Simulator Hanging Valance, 1’0”H x 8’6”W
                      - made from 1000D Cordura Nylon (Non-Fire-Retardant)
                      - 1” (when flattened) Pole Pocket on the TOP side
                      - 3” (when flattened) Pole Pocket on the BOTTOM side
                      - standard fold-over hem

13 total feet of PVC Curtain Track
                      - to be provided as two separate 6’6” track lengths
                      - includes (14) total Ball Carriers, which will be pre-installed on the tops of the above quoted 2 curtains (7 per curtain)
                      - includes (16) total Track Mounting Screws (8 per each track length)

Comment

TD22057 Thanks for sharing. I came across the detailed photos of your setup which made your description clear. Great job.

Comment

Working...
                        X