Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen size advice

G'Day,

My sim build is coming along: The back wall, where my netting and screen will be (out 1ft from wall), I have some high wall closets on the side wall: this means I have 2 screen options to consider:

either

A. 4:3 Aspect ratio: 11'x8.3'.... 13.8' diagonal: Area 91.3 sq ft
    B. 16:9 Aspect ratio: 12'x6.8'....13.8' diagonal: Area 81.6 sq ft

what would you guys recommend: 16:9 at all costs? but is 6.8' height too little? the 4:3 gives me more screen area and seems a little more immersive (just projecting on back wall to test!).

Your experience would help me.

Cheers

Hemi

I would personally prefer 16 x 9, even with that height limitation.

Speaking of immersive, your hitting distance will play a big role in that. It is VERY possible to lose immersion because the screen is too large (yes, you read this correct).

If you stand too close to a big screen, you can't see the entire screen without turning your head--which ruins the experience. This is why home theater installers have charts indicating proper screen size for a seating distance. Too big is just as bad as too small.

I have a big space (barn loft)--I was originally set up long ways in the room, with my distance from the screen limited. I found the 8x10 screen (16:10) to be a non-immersive experience because my hitting position was <10 feet from the screen. It was very tough to see the actual shot from the hitting position without head turning.

I have since moved it sideways. It's WAY better now that I can choose to hit from 12' or so away from the screen (I would actually like to go further).

Only issue now is that 9 iron and above run the very real risk of hitting over the screen, resulting in a ricochet off the rafters. I'm currently using fake balls for lofted shots until I decide on a top enclosure.

My advice to you is to get everything fully set up and then grab a couple of big drop cloths from Home Depot and a moving blanket or two from Costco (they are WAY too expensive at HD). Hang the drop cloths from tarp clips (in the drop cloth section at HD) with a moving blanket behind the center area where balls are most likely to impact (even if you are not a huge hitter, you will put a ball through a dropcloth within 200 shots).

Get some experience with your room under real conditions before deciding on screen size. Way better than listening to me or anyone else here.

Comment

• shellman19
      shellman19 commented
      Editing a comment
      Quick general question.... I found the info in Ookie's comment very helpful... I would like to be able to "save" it for future reference. If I "Flag" it does that mean bookmark for future reference or does that mean flag to notify the forum that something bad was said in it and it needs to be removed. The term "Flag" is a bit vague as to what it means when you click on it and I do not want to get anyone in trouble or do something dumb so thought I would ask.

Thanks Ookie for that, I think I may have setup my hitting mat too close then, its about 9 ft.

Hemi

Comment

Never found it convincing that it was "immersive" to be looking at a screen with white bars top and or bottom just for the sake of "widescreen".

4:3 covering the entire screen is convincing enough. That's what I use.

Actually you are asking the wrong question. The impact screen should be as large as you can make it (within reason). And it definitely should be as high as you can make it - it is what your short iron shots will be hitting.

Afterward, you can choose what image ratio you use for the projected image, and whether or not you like looking at white bars.

Comment

I would agree with Aja. I started with widescreen but did not like the empty space at the bottom or top of the display. I switched to a custom resolution to cover as much of my screen as possible. I would say if room is not a restriction, I would do a 16:9 assuming I could project to the entire screen. Also note, the larger the screen, the more likely you will see pixels.

Comment

Thanks, agreed: decided to just fill the wall with screen: so 9' by 8'! will decide on format once up and running, can always black out borders with felt etc.
          I'm hanging it up tomorrow!

Comment

BWJones could explain how you switched to a custom resolution? Thanks.

Comment

Gary, I guess I should not have used that term in this case. I am using one of the resolutions in the TGC interface setup (1280 x 1024 I think) on my monitor and my projector. I tested many resolutions, and this seemed to be the best fit for my screen. I have these projectors in a mirror fashion and not an extended desktop. I think there is a way to get a custom resolution utilizing NVIDIA (or other brand of graphic controller) settings and I think I saw where the TGC interface would pick up whatever your Windows resolution was. I admittedly have not experimented much with using the projector as another "monitor" and playing with different resolutions, although my desire to add another monitor to display my Kinovea setup may send me down that path soon.

Comment

• DirtyGarry24
                DirtyGarry24 commented
                Editing a comment
                Ok cool. Ya the custom resolution thing came up earlier and I was curious. Thanks.

• akoe19
                akoe19 commented
                Editing a comment
                BWJones, would you mind posting a pic of TGC with that resolution?

Akoe19, I am not at home right now, but I change the resolution on this page in the TGC to St interface. I read that this was actually pulling available resolutions from your PC, but I cannot confirm this.

Comment

Working...
              X