Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New UK Build - Winter 2018

Hi All,

Just about to embark on my sim build in the UK as a winter project.

I've already ordered the Skytrak and TGC and have been using that in the garden with an enclosure, but the weather is far too cold so it needs to be inside.

Having a concrete slab laid next week that is 20ft x 16ft, which is the biggest i can fit in the space and then a building size of 18ft x 14ft.

I have some quite tight planning laws where i am, as i'm in a conservation area so i can only have a building with an eaves (side height) of 2.5m

I've got a wooden building on order that is 18ft x 14ft with eaves (side height) of 2.5m and the apex of the roof is 3m. I've paid the deposit for this and the concrete slab but now doubting myself that it is going to be tall enough (i can't go any higher due to the law around here)

How far offset will i need to be, so that the club at its highest will be in the highest part of the roof? or am i going to struggle?

It will only be used by right handers, so haven't got any worries about moving the skytrak about.

Just starting to doubt myself, so looking for a bit of re-assurance!

I will update the post as the build moves on

I'll be interested to see how you get on with this bud as I am thinking of going down the same route in Manchester.
    Cheers

Comment

Seems to be a few of us in the UK now with projects in mind.
      I used to have a 4m x 4m marquee in my garden with an impact screen in to use with my Skytrak. So width wise it was similar to what you have ordered. The Marquee apex was 3.1m I think, I am a tad over 6ft and never once got close to hitting the roof. However I was offset a lot only a foot or so from the side wall, there is potential to move slightly more central depending on your height and swingplane and also the pitch of your roof. I have to say though it never bothered me hitting from an offset position, I think fear of hitting the roof would have been a bigger concern. Have you got planning or is permitted development? Guessing you are closer than 2M to boundaries (if that rule applies to conservation areas)
      I started a permanent building in September which is still ongoing so I know what you are going through

Comment

my garage is 2.5m high (flat roof) and 2.6m wide, i'm 5ft 9, my skytrak is about 6" from the right wall and angled slightly (not parallel to the wall) left, i'm offset by about 1/3 from the left. I've got my Skytrak range software, TGC and JNPG all set to offset aswell.

My driver shaft is shortened by 1" and don't really have any issues swinging it now, but at the beginning it took quite a bit of time to trust that i had enough room. with your width you should be ok as the apex roof will give you more height but you will need to be offset to give you that additional height.

Comment

I've managed to get it done under permitted development, as its more than 2m from the boundary - i tried to get planning permission for a flat roof structure 3.5m tall, but it got rejected as it's in a conservation area due to the height, as it would "dominate the village streetscape" - plus there were objections about noise!

I'm only 5ft 9" so i have that on my side and my swing isn't particularly steep. A couple of my buddies are 6ft + so they may have to not hit driver in there.

My swing can get a little over the top so only being 6" from the wall will focus the mind - although with a little more width i might be able to pull it away slightly.

I'm looking at getting a archery baffle netting in white to begin with to keep the cost down a bit - i think i will end up with a screen/net that is around 3.6m wide and 2.5m high.

Where abouts is your projector?? - i take it that it's in front of the hitting area a little bit, i'm concerned about hitting that as well, if it's not in the right place. I've got a BenQ MW632ST short throw one that i ordered in the sale over xmas so i have a bit of adjustment on the location with the zoom. for the size of net/screen above it will project from 2.6 > 3.1m away on 16:10 ratio or 2.9m to 3.5m away on 4:3

Where do you set all of the offsets in the software??

Cheers

Comment

Could you not do 4M apex with permitted development? I also think you will be able to move a bit further away from the wall than 6" from what you have mentioned, may have to move it slightly when your buddies visit or as you mention leave their drivers at the door.
            I also started with the archery netting, there are different types out there so try and get one with as tight a weave as you can find and I also found hanging a white sheet behind the netting will stop the image bleeding as much and give a slightly nicer picture when you are projecting.
            My current setup is only temporary as my room is a long way from finished but projector (GT1080e) is mounted directly above my head and is on a sliding rail so I can move it as needed, idea behind that was to switch between 4:3 and 16:9 modes and give a little wiggle room on the mounting position (GT1080 has no zoom). If it's above your head you shouldn't hit it with your club unless you have had too many beers, and the archery netting if hung correctly will stop balls dead so you shouldn't have any ricochets.

Comment

Thanks for that - as soon as i typed the message, realised i will have about an extra 0.5m to that side as TommySeb has - so will be fine.

I could have done 4M apex on permitted development, but there were 2 issues.

1 was that i couldn't find a company to make a shed (i'm using a garden shed company, rather than log cabin) with 2.5m in the eaves and 4m in the apex as the pitch and span of the roof would mean putting horizontal strengtheners in, which impacted on the hitting area and i didn't want to compromise that.

the 2nd issue was that there are some trees in the locality of the building that have a preservation order on them and i can't cut them down just for the sake of it - it has to be disease etc before i can touch it. so even going down the self build route of the higher building they are in my way.

I'm using a shed company and then insulating myself to try and keep the cost down as i've only got £10k for everything including PC, skytrak, shed, base screen mat etc

I was looking at this for the netting (but obviously in white) - is that going to be good enough as a start?

Good idea about the projector on a track, i think i have a bit of zoom adjustment, but will bear that in might as an idea.

Concrete pour is next week and the timber structure is being delivered on 2nd feb - so that will be a good chunk of the work done.

Have to run an armoured cable 45m in the garden at 600mm depth, so that's going to take some digging to get electrics down to the man cave!

Comment

• Tommyseb
                Tommyseb commented
                Editing a comment
                i bought a net from collinsnets and its not the best density if you are going to project a image onto, so i then bought a net from Golfswingsystems which was denser and therefore the picture looked sharper, but i've since ordered a screen from the forum, search direct mill and you'll see the thread, much much much better image in my opinion, not as loud and less rebound, i ordered mine twice as wide as my screen width so i can move it around to reduce wear and tear. I've got the Optoma GT1080 and its decent enough but it doesn't have a huge amount of adjustability, but is very good for the price, my projector is sat on the floor just in front of my mat in a metal projector case, if i had the height i'd definitely mount it overhead.
                Last edited by Tommyseb; 01-10-2018, 05:09 PM.

• simmb
                simmb commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep thats the one I was using, I am actually still using it whilst my room is in the state it's in. As an impact screen it's great as a projection screen it's not the best but it's perfectly usable. I will see if I can dig out some photos of it in action. I imported a Carls premium screen that will eventually take it's place as they had a 30% sale on them. However just checked the site and the premiums have disappeared, wonder if the direct from mill crew have caused a national shortage.

Thanks both

if you do have any photos simmb that would be great

depending on the cash I have left I may look to get a golfswingsystems one, but can't afford to get anything shipped from the states at the minute as I'm looking at at a 12 x 10 screen

Comment

First Pic(Florida Glades) is from my old projector and second is from the GT1080e without much tweaking hence the slightly wonky image.

Comment

Thanks for that

It's not as bad as i thought it would be - would definitely get me by if cash is short!

Will update the post as the build goes on

Comment

The sim build here in the U.K. Has started this week, concrete foundation has been poured.

Its 20ft by 16ft

the ground slopes quite a bit so had to build a 2ft high retainer at the back edge

the block work for a dwarf wall is going up tomorrow

Comment

Had a load of bad weather (as you can see on the site!!) that meant i couldn't lay the blockwork until the weekend.

It's now all done ready for the timber frame which is being delivered on Friday and installed over the weekend.

p.s Don't know why the pictures are rotated!

Cost so far

Concrete Base and earthworks £1600
                      Block Work £650
                      Timber frame building £2210

Comment

Got the timber structure up at the weekend in the typical British soaking wet weather

5.5m x 4.2m x 3m in the apex (the most i can do for plannign laws)

Just got to let the inside of the wood dry out for a while then can lay the floor and start the insulation and internal fit out.

Hoping to get the floor down next weekend

Still no idea why photos are upside down no matter which way i orientate on this site!

Comment

Martin,

I wish I would have read your post earlier. I am a retired building contractor. To get more height inside you could do "Scissor Trusses". They are vaulted from the outside walls upward. Here's a link:

Since you have not finished the inside perhaps you could scissor them yourself or have someone do it for you?

Just a thought.

Mekongmike

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for that - ive got the roof trusses as high up inside as i can - will take pictures when i get inside with a bit of light!

The the height is what it is - there is a restriction on the height the eaves can be in the part of the UK that i am located, so these type of trusses wouldn't help me.

Martin

Comment

Working...
                            X