Help - Impact Screen attached to Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Impact Screen attached to Frame

I have been reading everyone's build stories and I must say, they are awesome. I guess the part I am not completely understanding is the connection of the impact screen to the frame. I understand how to do it; but what if the ball hits the frame on the edge? That is going to create a ricochet where the ball is going to go anywhere. How do you prevent this? And has everyone used a complete square frame? Or do you leave the impact screen hanging on the bottom?

Hopefully I explained my questions well enough; but I appreciate any answers to help me visualize this.

If you're using conduit (as many seem to, you can use this type of product to wrap it: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-...lation/3133247

I wrapped the sides and top of my frame with commando cloth from Chicago Canvas. I detailed my methods here if you care to check it out: https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...imulator-build

That thread also details how I finished the bottom... my screen does not touch the floor however I've seen many people simply leave them hanging. I prefer a taut, wrinkle free picture as my hitting bay's primary function is actually for work purposes.

Comment

If it isn't hanging does that affect the shelf life of the screen? I assume that would put more pressure on the point of impact.

Also, I will be probably buying the screen from the material raw, so was thinking about attaching the screen with tarp clips, like a few people were talking about.
      Last edited by brettmacy18; 04-23-2018, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Possibly. If you read through to the bottom of my thread (linked in the first response), I discuss some damage to the screen that began right away. It's possible the tension on the screen was stretching the fibers, and the impacts from the balls was damaging the screen.

Comment

Here’s how I did it...
          You've built your enclosure. Now is the time toshowcase it and show it off. See how others did it.

If I attach the Velcro from the curtains directly onto the Velcro of my screen, there is no possible way I can hit the metal frame behind.

Comment

Buy an oversized screen and wrap it around the frame and bungee in the back. Then put pipe insulation around the frame, which I am hoping is 1 inch Emt conduit

Comment

That is what I am thinking SPC, now trying to decide what to put behind the screen. Any suggestions?

Comment

Attach fabric or netting from top of screen to either the roof or top of fram toward your hitting spot. Should create a barrier between you and the top bar. Also doubles as ceiling protection if you need it.

Comment

I used angle iron to mount the screen. I got heavy theater curtains from Peaks Tarps that just clip to the edge of the screen. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180423_165524.jpg
Views:	2858
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	154670Click image for larger version

Name:	20180424_172127.jpg
Views:	2540
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	154671

Comment

What do you mean something to put behind the screen? You should build a cube type of screen so it can stand on it own. Use 3 way tarp parts to
                    hold the net conduit. I’m selling mine as I don’t have room anymore after finishing my basement, I can ship them for a good price
                    Last edited by SPC; 05-07-2018, 01:28 AM.

Comment

SPC,

I mean behind the screen, to lessen the blow to the screen. Anybody have any suggestions?

Comment

I just have a king size blanket behind mine. It helps!

Comment

You wonl’t need anything behind it if you have a screen like this. http://www.carlofet.com/golf-simulator-screens.html. I just had a sheet behind mine, but I assume a quilt would work as well

Comment

Working...
                          X