Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8' 9" Ceiling Height Possible?

Hello All,

I am undergoing my first sim build and would love to put in my large basement which is 8' 9" from cement to rafters/joists.

I have seen some users with similar and would love to get more info and opinions from these users.

I am 5' 9" but might have some 6' friends. I plan to have the bare minimum hitting mat height (1.5?) and maybe staple up foam or something to ceiling JIC. So would actual finished may be 8' 6-7".

If some clubs are not possible for them or even me, does anyone still play games against friends but omit to using driver or whatever or should I seriously think of a plan B?

My last resort plan B would have to be a temp setup in garage with 10' ceiling. But what I gain in height I lose in width and length as I may need to keep it to one bay.
    As opposed to being in the basement I have about 15ft W by over 20+ft L.

Fingers crossed for good news, at least for my height. lol

Thanks for any comments!
    Geo

I'm also 5'9" and have a fairly upright swing. When I tested my driver in a room with 9' ceiling, I had a little over a foot of clearance. So I would say that 8'6-7" should be sufficient for you assuming that we have similar swings and you are using a standard length driver. However, you should try it yourself and see if in addition to the physical clearance, you feel any psychological constraints regarding the height because you can clear the ceiling but you may hold back your swing for fear of hitting the ceiling.

Comment

• gette
      gette commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your comment Tron.
      I am still trying to find my swing after a long break and back issues. Though it was fairly upright. So this is music to my ears.
      Hopefully the "indoor" swing doesn't become a problem. maybe paint the ceiling like a blue sky with some clouds. lol

I have a brand new driver and afraid to swing it down there, just yet. I need to get more consistent with the irons first. lol

Thanks again!
      Geo

Hi gette,
    I have a 8.8 ceiling to mat and I am 6ft 1.
    I have no problem with driver and same with my friends. I have had my set up for nearly a year now and I have only touched the ceiling twice where I have tried to over hit the club and lifted up during my swing. Best thing is to try and swing your driver and see.

Comment

• gette
      gette commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your comment Lewis,

This is wonderful to hear!

Longest drive competitions not possible, noted. lol

As I mentioned in another comment I have a brand new driver that I am afraid to swing down there, esp since I am still trying to find my swing. I need to work on my irons more first and then I will have a better idea.

Thanks again!
      Geo

I’m a little taller Han 5’11” and I use a Truesteike mat that is higher than what you are thinking of using and note that my driver barely misses the ceiling in my follow through. I think you will find your set-up to be very tight for the driver. I have about 9 feet carpet to ceiling. I moved out of my garage due to my metal garage door interfering with my TM3e, but should note that it always frustrated me with how dusty my garage was here in Calgary and thus prefer my current set-up by far. I’m even thinking of ways to increase my ceiling height and add some length.

Comment

• gette
      gette commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Dax!

When you say about 9ft from carpet to ceiling, does that count your Truestrike mat?

My mat will be a DIY TrueStrike and/or DivotAction.

Garage does certainly get dusty. So hoping my basement will work. Worst case might be no driver for a while. lol

The 9 feet excludes trustrike mat. The mat is about two inches is I remember correctly. Likely a little bit more.

Comment

Yes, should be no problem and i'm currently hitting balls in a similar setup. Good luck!

Comment

I've got 8ft ceilings. Maybe 8'1 in a few spots now from where I've hit it with driver. Honestly, you get use to it. I let it rip and don't think twice about it.

Comment

Thank you for all your replies.

I "should be fine" with me regular swing for irons. I am trying Cobra F7 One Lengths since I have hardly played in many years. Should get be back into it quicker when I only have a lot less swings to relearn. lol

My woods and driver might be another story, but I am hopeful my regular swing will fit as well.

I am concerned about the "indoor swing" syndrome. After all it is all about practicing for the real thing as opposed to being a hermit in basement all the time. lol

Thx Guys!
          Geo

Comment

Originally posted by Dax View Post
            The 9 feet excludes trustrike mat. The mat is about two inches is I remember correctly. Likely a little bit more.
            Hey dax, how is truestrike? Have you had any elbow/wrist issue? I tried out fiberbuilt but never truestrike and I am seriously considering switching from country club elite as i do feel some elbow wrist pain.

To andwer OP question, i am 5’10 and i swing a driver on 8’9” ceiling just fine as well. (3 inches for my mats and my golf shoes sometimes).

Comment

Originally posted by LEO MODE View Post

Hey dax, how is truestrike? Have you had any elbow/wrist issue? I tried out fiberbuilt but never truestrike and I am seriously considering switching from country club elite as i do feel some elbow wrist pain.

To andwer OP question, i am 5’10 and i swing a driver on 8’9” ceiling just fine as well. (3 inches for my mats and my golf shoes sometimes).
              I have never had an issue with joint pain and my Truestrike Mat. However, I don’t hit balls continuously any more on my indoor set up due to the kids, but did when I first got everything. The one issue I had with the lower ceiling height in my room was I developed a bit of a flatter swing and while this is fixed and I am more aware I do caution others to watch out for this issue.

Comment

I am 6ft. I have 9ft ceiling height - 2in for mat. I am not comfortable swinging anything more than irons. I have hit the cieling even with 7 iron on more than 1 occasion. If I swing right its fine but it only takes 1 off swing and bam. I also tend to not swing thru as well due to being afraid to hit ceiling. I would get a mat and a net before buying a launch moniter.

Comment

• Greasegun
                  Greasegun commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Update. I measured my basement ceiling again and my ceiling is 8ft 9in. Same as yours. 8ft 7in from mat. At 5'9" youll have a little more room but I would still recommend starting with a mat and net first.

Hi Geo, did you proceed with the Sim build in the basement or the garage? Just curious how it turned out. In my case I have a similar height restriction, but also limited depth of the room... as such my projector is directly over the stance mat. Driver was never the problem, but wedge follow throughs sometimes are lol... at least you won't have that problem!!
                Oh, and like many others with limited space, I had a tough time adjusting to the "indoor" swing, but after a time even slow to adjust guys like me settle down. Now I don't even think about it and hit normally without fear. Cheers, Mike

Comment

Hi gette. I have a 9ft ceiling. And only have touched the ceiling a couple of times.(and father inlaw did it once because of over hitting) I'm 6ft1.
                  You should be OK because that's how many times in over a year playin. I'm going to cut out 3 of my joists soon
                  But only 2 inches deep and 20 inches wide this is in the area where my club hit. Just to be on The safe side As I will be having more people going to use it now. Hope this helps.

Comment

• gnomike
                    gnomike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    lewisellis Just curious about the 3 joists you're going to cut into... I've thought of doing the same. Are you going the official route with engineers/drawings/specs/approvals etc, or just winging it?

• mcbindy
                    mcbindy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    gnomike - Im at the final stages of my build and cut 4 joist to raise them 1ft (garage install) - Youll be fine if doubling up the timber and if need be add horizontal purlins.

• gnomike
                    gnomike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    mcbindy Thanks so much for that! Based on your input and some other research I've been doing, I really don't see a problem. I mean, I have about the simplest possible application. My sim is a stand-alone building... I think the original owners built it to be a work studio... a single room with a small WC & nothing above that bears any kind of weight. I can't imagine that cutting into a joist or two will have any effect at all, especially if I sister in some extra lumber.

gnomike - this is the early pic from the raised roof to give you an idea - Moving 3-4 joists will be fine but i would recommend doubling up. I've doubled up the joists and added some extra Dwangs to the frame you see before sheeting it.

Give me that extra peice of mind when swinging and allows for extra room with the projector also.... Nearly finished so will put the full build picture up when done next week

Comment

• gnomike
                    gnomike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    very nice!

When I moved the crossbeams up from 8’ to 9.5’, I doubled up too: I went from 4 to 7 crossbeams.

Comment

Working...
                  X