Before I start can it be done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before I start can it be done?

hi all, I’ve ready through numerous posts, and I feel like my dream could be over before it’s started, I finally got the boss to agree to let me put a simulator in the garage, I feel like I can swing a club fine in there, but after reading a number of posts I think that the garage is going to be a no go, and I may need to look at building something custom in the garden to house my Sim!

Anyway the space I’ve got to work with is as follows, the ceiling is sloped so I’ve included 2 measurements for the ceiling (front and back) basically I want to know if it will work!

length 14ft 9”
    width 8ft 2”
    height screen end 8ft 2”
    height opposite end 10ft 5
    im guessing swing space height is just over 9ft can be moved back to accommodate projector if needed

If anyone has a build similar size some photos would be great! I’m planning on using gc2 with wall mounted tv by hitting area, with net screen and projector at the screen end of the room, floor will be mimic putting green with holes for odd practice putting.

thanks in advance!

Have a look at these recommendations:

Your space's available width is pretty tight. You'll be eyeballs against the wall (and/or TV) when you address the ball...

Comment

Yeah that’s what I was guessing, I don’t need to worry about lefty’s, I don’t know one left handed player, I was just worried by the time I put the sim in I would be pushed back quite a bit and would harm the swing, I’ve seen the link you posted, it recommends 14ft but that’s with the monitor in the center, I was worried about being off centre to the screen and then the aim point on the screen being off center

Comment

Pretty sure 8' width is going to be tough to work with a GC2. It would be tight without anything, but even with GC2 right up against the wall, I think the hitting spot may be about 18" or so from the wall which only leaves you 6'6" which is not much at all.

Comment

I thought that might be the case, guess it looks like I might need to hold off to see what I can build in the garden, is it worth looking at another launch monitor that would suit the space in the garage?

Comment

Unfortunately that width is too small but if you have space in the yard you could do as I’ve done and put in an inflatable enclosure. I ordered my thru yolloy.net see picture it cost me $2100 US shipped to New York . I recon at the minimum 12wide x 17deep and 10 high

Comment

• aljamesmusic
              aljamesmusic commented
              Editing a comment
              Ive been looking at Yolly. This one the screen looks very haggard (no disrespect). Id hope a screen would be tight and uniform. What size or model is this please?

ButtonBoi,

Although not ideal, I think it’s doable, at least with a SkyTrak (not sure about with a GC2).

Although i haven’t moved my setup indoors yet, I am quite tight up against the house (or, to be more precise, the windows). See photos of my setup attached. It is 2.25m (7’ 5) wide from the wall / window to the outside of the SkyTrak, so this is the absolute minimum that I would need the width of the room to be. The SkyTrak hitting laser dot is 400mm (16”) in from the outside of the SkyTrak, so in a room 7’5 wide, a straight shot would hit the impact screen 16” from the wall. That means it is 6’ 1 from the hitting spot to the wall behind me. I must admit it is a bit tight for comfort, but I haven’t hit the windows yet! I’m 5’10 and I can hit my 44.5” driver. So with your garage at 8’2 wide, you’d have 9” tolerance to move side-to-side, less than ideal, and I’m sure it would feel cramped, but possible. You could put some sort of foam on the wall to the right of the hitting area to catch any errant shots.

My sim-room-to-be is 3.93m (12’ 10) long between obstacles. I’ve mocked up a hitting area with a net, and I’ve hit a few shots, and with the impact screen 1’ from the end, I just have enough room, so your garage at nearly 2’ longer should be fine.

If your height is OK, I think you can make it work. A less-than-ideal sim is way better than no sim! Can you mock up a hitting area, with a matt and net before you commit?

Dan

Comment

Dan that’s the kind of news I was hoping for, I think this week I will get in the garage, mark 18” from the wall and take the address position, if I can swing my driver then I’m good to go, all be it with a possible switch to sky track, I will have a dig around to see if I can find any info for the placement of gc2 and test that too.

Whats the playability of the sky trak like? Is it pretty accurate to playing on the course with handicaps? With the kids and the weather I am only going to be out once a month once I commit to the simulator, so I want something that’s really going to be quite accurate to real life, I know putting is always dodgy on the simulators so I’m not to fussed on that, there’s other ways of practicing putting.

what kind of feedback do you get from sky trak? As in ball data and stuff? I will have a look online but it would be nice to hear from a user who’s not trying to sell it. Also what’s the delay on the picture like after hitting the ball? Is that dependand in hardware or is it generally slow? Only asking as the videos seem to have a long delay from ball strike to graphic output.

Ben
              Last edited by ButtonBoi15; 11-11-2018, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Ben,

I think it’s great. Search this forum and you’ll get lots of information / opinions about the SkyTrak.

The SkyTrak measures the same ball data as the GC2: ball speed, back spin, side spin, side angle, and vertical launch angle - all of the ball parameters it needs to estimate ball flight. The ball flight algorithm is slightly different between the two, but I can’t find any information on which might be most accurate. They’re both pretty close to be honest.

The SkyTrak is more difficult to set up because you have to level it, and put the ball on a laser dot. Not a big deal for me. The SkyTrak won’t read shots off grass because the grass/dirt interferes with the camera. I understand that GC2 does work on grass. SkyTrak is also sensitive to sunlight at the wrong direction.

See the attached video giving a direct comparison between the two - you’ll see the delay and the similarity between the ball flight and data. The delay doesn’t bother me at all, but I’m not hitting into an impact screen yet (maybe a 2sec delay). Hardware will have an impact, but there will be some delay no matter what.

In terms of playability, I haven’t played the sims yet, but from what I’ve read I don’t think you’d notice any difference between the two - playing TGC on either should be the same experience, more-or-less. The SkyTrak app is getting better and better, with gapping, different greens, random challenges, long drive, etc.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                X