Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Thundergolf (NET and GROSS) winning the TGC 2018/2019 WINTER TOUR - ProTee Open Hawaii !

Join this weeks TGC 2018/2019 WINTER TOUR - CareerBuilder Challenge with 2 rounds at PGA West (Palmer) Thursday : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...lder-challenge
See more
See less

New build, dimension questions, ceiling height, etc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New build, dimension questions, ceiling height, etc

First time post, but a regular lurker.

I'm currently in the process of finishing my basement and want to build a golf simulator.

My dimensions: 13'6 wide x 25' deep x 8'9" tall

I'm 6'2" and I've swung my driver and have yet to hit the ceiling, does anyone else have issues at this height? It seems fine for me but I'm worried about the guest/family that may play.

I'm looking at the Carl's impact mat and enclosures... any recommendations for something else or is Carl's a good product?

Any advice or tips for a newbie? I love this forum already and can't wait to hear from you!

Thanks

I think Par2pro has better prices for screens. A lot of the enclosure process you can DIY. You can attach rails to ceiling for side curtains and attach mesh netting to ceiling to catch high shots. Some of us use the sportscreen which makes it easy to attach impact screen to and it rolls up when not in use. The best mat in my opinion is the fiberbuilt. What LM are you going to be using?

Comment

• ThomasMac
      ThomasMac commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the advice! I'm planning on the Skytrak with TGC. I've heard great things about JNPG but heard recently it's not available for Skytrak anymore?

• sherrow70
      sherrow70 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats correct JNPG N/A for skytrak. I initially put up side panels but dont really need them but the top netting is very important for 60 yards and in. You have good space I would try to go as wide as possible. If you have carpet in basement no need for flooring to catch those bouncing shots off the screen.

That ceiling height will be problematic, irons and hybrids at most. I'm sure you've swung your driver and not made contact, but that is only because you're being very conscious about flattening out your swing to do so. There is no way someone your height could take a real, full pass with a driver with under 9 ft. Also you're going to lose another couple of inches once you get the mat under you. I would think long and hard about it before you spend a bunch of money. Would you be happy only being able to hit your irons?

Comment

• sherrow70
      sherrow70 commented
      Editing a comment
      agree a mat may add a few inches. If garage has higher ceiling may be a better option.

• sherrow70
      sherrow70 commented
      Editing a comment
      agree a mat may add a few inches. If garage has higher ceiling may be a better option.

• ThomasMac
      ThomasMac commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the reply... that is disconcerting to hear about the height. I tested it with a 47” club with shoes on then I taped a piece of 6” tape to the ceiling and still didn’t even hit the tape. I completely understand what you’re saying about being conscious of my swing, but I’m swinging as hard as I can. I’m not sure of another way to test it.

And you’re right, I wouldn’t be happy just hitting irons. So thanks for making me think about this even harder before dropping the money like you said.

The ceiling will likely be an issue for driver at your height. I'm sure you can find work around a like padding for accidental impact etc. Possible to make a cutout?

Comment

• ThomasMac
      ThomasMac commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I was thinking about some possible padding up there, just in case. I think I must have a very flat swing (not sure if that's good or bad) because I'm not close to hitting the ceiling, but I will have to think about my family/friends swing planes.

If you can swing a driver, go for it. I have a neighbor about that height and his swing is flat and compact and probably lower overall than mine at 5’10”. With that said, you’ll probably need to limit friends to irons if they have an upright swing or high finish. Mine are 9’0”-9’1” (without carpet and mat) and only one friend has worried me so we just played par 3 courses.

My room is about that wide. I didn’t use the whole width for my screen. I did a 10’ wide screen on the right side of the room so I could comfortably center the ball. That and I used a removable EMT frame so 10’ is easy. Left of the screen I put a nice cabinet that holds golf clubs, etc.

Now that our formal living room is definitely staying the golf room, I’ve considered a wider screen, but don’t think it would add much to the experience.

I’ve also considered many different options for a hitting strip. One idea that might be of interest to you is actually cutting into the plywood subfloor and recessing the hitting strip. It could save an inch or more of height depending on the hitting strip and stance mat thickness.
    Attached Files

Comment

• ThomasMac
      ThomasMac commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the advice... I love your setup! Looks great! Yeah I think I'm going to pull the trigger and either get Carl's enclosure or a Par2Pro enclosure. They both look great. Would you reccomend that I offset my setup or try to center it (13'6" wide)?

• Godfather
      Godfather commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s a tough call. You need to take the projector position into consideration as well. If you go 13’6”, effectively 12’8-13’0” image width, the projector needs centered, but the golfer will be offset right to have room to swing. That may put the projector right above the golfer’s head. Or introduce more shadow depending how far back.

Also you need to think about aspect ratio. If you go 12’10” wide, you will do 16:9 and about 7’3” high. If you go 4:3 with maxed out 8’5” say height, you’re at 11’3” wide... so you have some things to consider.

PS- my room is also 13’6” wide.

• dmsimm69
      dmsimm69 commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the look of your screen setup (with the black backing)... Would you happen to have any pics of what it looks like behind the screen (frame build, black fabric install, etc)?? Thanks!

I have 8’9” ceiling height and haven’t hit the ceiling yet with a 1” thick hitting mat. I wish I had some more room just for piece of mind but haven’t held back and so far been clear. I’m only about 5’10” in height though

Comment

• ThomasMac
      ThomasMac commented
      Editing a comment
      Great to hear! What does your setup look like? Any pictures to share?

I’m 6’3” and my ceiling hieght is the same 8’9”. Luckily I have a flatter swing so I have hit yet! Go as wide as possible too, tgc has a great option to be able to adjust the camera angle but the closer to the center you can hit the better.

Comment

• ThomasMac
      ThomasMac commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much for the insight! I think I’m going to try and get the screen as wide as I can and attempt to have the projector as centered as possible. What do you like / dislike about TGC?

dmsimm69 not much to show. It’s a basic EMT frame with canopy fittings. I did it this way since it’s in my formal living room and I wasn’t sure if it would be permanent. Since it is definitely permanent now, I considered scrapping the EMT and doing angle iron all the way across, but I’d lose my storage cabinet (shown below) and my curtain might be an issue.

I ordered a screen 10’ wide with extra height so I could move the hitting area when it wears (not sure I’d do that again) so right now it hangs over the top bar with canopy snap-on clips and I use bungees with tarp clips on the sides.

Behind the the screen I hung my old screen (but plan to remove), then a black silk sheet, then a net pulled fairly tight. As thick as this new screen is, just the net would work.

To hide the side clips, I cut black carpet runner strips for the sides and secured to the frame with Velcro (stickiest). Along the top, it’s just black felt. I have considered ceiling protection, but I’m close enough to the screen it isn’t an issue with tour level urethane balls.

Comment

• dmsimm69
      dmsimm69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info... It's a nice clean look, and that's what I'm looking for in my home theater/golf simulator space i'm working on in my basement! Thanks again!
Working...
X