Almost finished home theater conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost finished home theater conversion

So I dropped a few hints to my wife for Christmas that I'd like a skytrak and lo and behold she came through. That means I had a tough choice either set up a garage Sim or convert our home theater space into a golf Sim. The problem of course with the home theater was it still had to look like a home theater so I'm almost done with the finishing touches.

Computer:
    I58400, 370z mboard, 16gb ram, 1060

Projector :
    BenQ 671ST, 10' from screen

Screen etc:
    Carl's preferred, 14x8'
    CCE mat
    Almost golf balls and wiffle balls for the kids

Added in ceiling center channel in front of screen.

I relocated all the speaker and electrical connections from the front to a closet in the back of the room and I added a new overhead Spotlight in the middle of the room.

I ordered a DIY cornice kit from Amazon and also ordered custom-made curtains from Amazon with extra material for $360 total. This will frame the top and the curtains will be for the side to hide the metal poles at the top and the sides. That is the only thing left to do.

Last edited by a4chet; 01-23-2019, 12:17 AM.

Finished hanging curtains and valence. I just have to mount the front speakers on the side walls and I'm done!

Comment

Screen looks great. Congrats. enjoy

Comment

a4chet Just curios, what is your ceiling height?

Comment

• a4chet
          a4chet commented
          Editing a comment
          9' even. I am 5'11' and have no problems.

Hey! Is there a risk of a 60 degree wedge shot hitting your ceiling. I like your screen set up without a big enclosure, but have worried I will have dents in the ceiling.

Comment

• aja
          aja commented
          Editing a comment
          Heck, any flop shot will hit the ceiling!

• a4chet
          a4chet commented
          Editing a comment
          I haven't hit my ceiling (yet)! I use almost golf balls - but do use real golf balls sometimes. I usually hit about 8' from the screen, and my 60 degree doesn't have a chance to get too high. But yes some do come close.

What's not shown in the pics, is that I added a baffle between the valence and the screen. If a ball were to crawl up the screen, it would hit the baffle and fall back down.

I think what would happen more realistically is a severe sky-ball to the ceiling.
          Last edited by a4chet; 01-29-2019, 07:23 PM.
      Working...
      X