New Sim build 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Sim build 2019

Ok after lurking for a while and getting some advice on various components of my sim along the way I have started my build... We built a new house and I had 1/3 of the basement (~600sq ft) dropped 2 feet to creat 11 ft ceilings... This area will be my sim/gym area... The sim portion of it is 16.5ft X 22'10"... They just finished my house last week so I just started installing...

Components list:
    GCQuad with Club data and FSX 2018(Foresightsports.com)
    Ibuypower computer (i7, 16gb RAM, RTX 2080) (Bestbuy.com)
    Sony FH 60 projector with short throw lense 16:10(eBay)
    Dricore subfloor (Lowe's.com)
    Rubber floor rolls for gym flooring (rubberfloorinc.com)
    Denon 2500 AV Receiver and 5 in ceiling Origin audio 8" speakers.
    ​​​​​​
    Everything else I got from Par2Pro:
    Par2pro 15'x9.4" screen
    Angle iron install method for screen and surrounding trim
    7' curtains on runners on the ceiling for side protection
    9x4 center hitting fiberbuilt mat
    6' of par2pro ceiling protection (ruffled trim essentially)

I'll attach some photos of the empty room and where I stand right now... I'll keep adding them as I get more installed (still waiting on some of the par2pro stuff and rubber floor.

Getting there...
    Attached Files

nice, I'm waiting anxiously to see how your sim comes together!

Comment

Question: since u dropped this portion of your basement floor 2’, did they install a sump pit in this area for possible water issues since this is now the lowest part of your basement floor. Your plan and space look superb, hope if I build another house I can do something similar. Good luck on your build

Comment

Yes, you are right because it is the lowest part of the house you do have to have the sump pump there... I ended up having the builders frame a small closet around it... You can see the door off to the right in one of the photos... I can post a different picture of it later showing the closet... The builder did a lot too ensure that we don't get water in there including tying our drainage from the gutters and sump pump into the underground golf course drainage (I live on the 10th fairway at our local course)... But that is also why I used Dricore, just to help prevent any mold or moisture build up... We had a very new winter/spring while it was being built and so far we haven't had any water even before we did final grade of the yard / gutters and drainage tie ins... Another thing to note if you decide to do it, is to make a basement wall that deep they had to do 12in poured concrete walls... Make sure you factor in the depth of those walls and drywall into your final measurements...

Comment

• Fhacker
          Fhacker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the reply. I will keep your suggestions in mind if and when I build a new house. Keep posting build pics. Can’t wait to see finished product

My house is currently being built right now and I had the basement dropped to 10 foot for my golf sim room. House won't be done until November 1st so have to patiently wait to complete the sim room.

Comment

It’s worth the wait. Don’t cheap out on anything.
          My Courses:
          World Par 3's by mthunt
          Toronto GC (L) mthunt
          Burlington G&CC by mthunt
          Weston G&CC by mthunt
          London Hunt Club L mthunt
          Park CC Lidar mthunt
          Sunningdale GC Robinson L
          Sunningdale GC Thompson L
          Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
          Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
          The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
          The National GC L mthunt
          Mississaugua GC L mthunt
          Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
          Markland Woods CC mthunt
          Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
          Magna GC L mthunt
          Barrie CC L mthunt
          mthunt Range

Comment

Dricore is finished... Rubber floor gets in this week and so does the screen... Should start coming together... I added some photos showing the closet that I had the builders out around the sump pump... Basically just cost me the price of the door as a change order
            Attached Files

Comment

Ok, rubber flooring is installed... Looks great and actually was alot easier than the dricore. It just took a long time to make sure I made accurate cuts around the stairs, doors and corners... They come in 288lb rolls... So getting those downstairs to the basement wasn't the most fun... All my gear from Par2Pro is in (thanks Preston) so now it's just putting up the screen and building the fiberbuilt mat...
              Attached Files

Comment

• mb123
                mb123 commented
                Editing a comment
                what is the source of that rubber floor? how thick is it?

Nice job and thanks for sharing. I reviewed rubberfloorinc website- which gym rubber mat are you using? Are you placing a putting turf on rubber mat. If so will you lay on mat or secure with glue?

Comment

I used the 1/2 in Mega rolls from Rubberflooringinc.com... Color is grey
                ​​​​​
                1/2" Mega Rubber Rolls from RubberFlooringInc offer our highest grade and most resilient commercial grade rolled rubber sports flooring.

I would definitely recommend them... The sides are cut incredibly straight and designed to fit snugly together with no visible seam... We installed them by just putting their double sided tape down on the edge of the room... The 1/2in rolls are probably a little overkill... I would think the 3/8in rolls are probably just as effective and not quite as heavy...

I am not laying down putting turf... I am going to use this area as a workout gym as well and want the option of being able to remove the fiberbuilt that will just lay on top of the rubber mats... The quads hitting area should be big enough to putt off the stance mat portion of the mat...

Doing the screen on Saturday!
                ​​​​

Comment

I have a functional Sim!! I still have to install the side curtains and the ceiling protection, but the angle iron, screen, trim kit, projector, lens and mat are installed... Turned out great... I fired up FSX 2018 last night and hit some 7 and 8 irons, but haven't really dialed it all in yet... Finally figured out how to get it to display 16:10, now just working on getting the graphics sharper... If anyone has any tips on how to get the best graphics representation on FSX 2018 let me know... I have a 2080 vid card and a Sony FH60 projector...

I also included some pics of the command center side of things as well as the projector...
                  I will get better pics once I'm done but I may need to do a video as even back 24 feet from the screen, it's hard to get it all in a picture...

Thanks again for all the help, been putting this together including the design of the house since last summer, can't believe it's coming together...

Attached Files

Comment

• SkeetShooter
                    SkeetShooter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What is the issue you are encountering with the image? Are you running NVidea control center and letting it determine optimal settings for the program you are running?

• sulli182
                    sulli182 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    SkeetShooter, Thanks for the reply, The graphics are rendering smooth, they just look a little pixelated, especially the greens when I am close to a green and the trees seem to have very little detail, and again I can see the pixels moving in the background... It may just be what FSX looks like but I feel like its a little off.. The only settings I have changed is, I changed the settings within FSX to "Full Graphics" and Foresight sends a PDF on how to set up your Graphics card and it says to change "Texture Filtering" from "Quality" to "High Performance" in the NVIDIA control panel... I did that, but Ive also tried "quality" and "High Quality"... They all seem about the same.

• SkeetShooter
                    SkeetShooter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Have you bench marked your experience against something else, like a bluRay or other HD format? I have not seen FSX2018 in person, but every online capture I've seen appears to show a bit of a grainy appearance (if that makes any sense...) I objectively feel that TGC2019 looks better than FSX2018, however that is just me, and this is only based on video capture online.

Hello Sulli182, looks really nice setup. I have been working on my room also a bit now. couple of questions. What kind of tension do you have on the top and sides of your screen? I have a similar setup screen (a little smaller), but i feel i don't have enough tension on the bottom of the screen which is just a bungee that runs through the bottom and tied off at the floor on each end. Just wondering if you could get some close up's of the very bottom and what type of tension you have as i think i don't have enough yet.
                  thanks

Comment

• sulli182
                    sulli182 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah Schrambow, hanging the screen took some trial and error. I didn't want to get it so tight the ball was coming right back at me but wanted it taught enough to look good... The tops I just used 6 or 8 inch bungees and attached them from the grommets of my screen directly to the angle iron and barely overlapped them... I initially attached them very tight but it pulled the screen too close to the ceiling and i wasn't touching the floor anymore... The sides I did like the video below... They are much more taught than the top... definitely the more uniform you can get the bungees the better the screen turned out for me.. I will also include the video Preston from Par2pro sent me of how to install the screen, there is a lot of good info in that video

Prestons Installation video:

This youtube video is the one I used for the sides of my screen.

Good Luck!

sulli182 looks great! how far away is your mat from the screen?

Comment

• sulli182
                    sulli182 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The middle of my mat is at 10.5 Ft... The front is 8.5ft and the back is 12.5ft...

Great setup....I think you will have years of enjoyment.

Comment

ya, i still would like more tension in the bottom, i have that bungee as tight as i can get all the way through, thinking of maybe putting another one all the way through.
                    You have any photos of a computer/box protector, I am having a tough time finding the right box to put the pc in, but still use the keyboard and mouse on top, etc... thinking about a touch screen also? Just wondering if you could show yours or if anyone has a good idea on this? Sulli, i see your photo on your computer, just wondering where you got something like that and if it has vents in it for the cpu?
                    Last edited by schrambow; 09-23-2019, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X