Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New sim room will have to have a beam .....where to put the beam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New sim room will have to have a beam .....where to put the beam?

My new sim room is going to be 17 x 30 x 10. I will have to have a dropped beam. Currently the beam is 13' from the screen. I plan on hitting about 12 feet from the screen. Should I leave the beam where it is or move it back a few feet? Also, I was thinking of mounting the projector up against the beam. I also am hoping to get an affordable ( less than $3000 )4k projector. My screen size will be 18.3 feet diagonal. Will I need a short throw at that size?

That's a massive size room. Nice! Here's a page where you can calculate how for the projector needs to be from the screen for an 18 ft diagonal with different projectors:
    Find screen size and throw distance for all projectors, as well as seating and lighting recommendations.

That will tell you if you need short-throw or not.
    I cannot tell for certain from your posting which way you're hitting in the room or the exact beam location. However, it sounds like the beam is almost over your head and thereby reducing the 10 ft ceiling height by the thickness of the beam. 9 ft seems to work for most people but some need 10 ft (so that depends on how thick is the beam, how tall you are and how upright a swing you have). Certainly if you have move the beam back another 2 or 3 feet (away from the screen), it won't be impacted by your golf swing (pun intended).

Comment

• keither5150
      keither5150 commented
      Editing a comment
      I find that I never come near my current 8'7 with my backswing. But on my follow through..... I sometimes nick the ceiling. I am 5"10". Now I need to find a 4k projector that will fill 18 feet from about 17 feet away

Hi @keither5150 I also have the problem of needing far more ceiling height on my follow through than I do on my back swing. I've been taking lessons at GolfTec for about 18 months and they are really excellent. My coach is working on my turn at impact and beyond with the goal of getting my hands to exit my body no higher than my left shoulder (when I watch the video taken from behind me looking down the target line). I frequently have my hands exit over my head which puts the club head very high. When I can turn as required, I don't need as much ceiling height after impact (although the coach does not care about ceiling height). So, perhaps spend the money on lessons instead of moving the beam :-)

Comment

• keither5150
      keither5150 commented
      Editing a comment
      Building a new house, so I can move the beam up to about 4 feet in either direction. Lessons are probably a good idea anyway.

My Sim/gym room is in my basement and has a beam in it as well... My beam is 16'8" away from the wall that the screen is on and 15'8" away from the screen (Screen is mounted 1 ft from the wall)... My Quad is typically set up where I hit from about 9.5 ft from the screen and I have at least 2 feet to play with before the beam would be an issue with a swing... However, make sure you take into consideration the depth of your projector. As you can see from my pictures I have the projector mounted right inside the beam and it is 24" deep, meaning my projector lens is at 13'8" away from the screen. This ends up being perfect where I don't have to worry about it being right above me and neither are in my way, but if my beam were closer to the hitting area it would have pushed the projector to being right over the hitting area. Hope this helps...
    Attached Files

Comment

• keither5150
      keither5150 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the input. I am thinking that I will move it back about 4 feet.

Who says that there has to be a visible beam?

It is possible to make the beam part of the supported joists/floor structure. Use joist hangers, etc. It is referred to as a "flush beam".

Comment

• keither5150
      keither5150 commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't want to pay extra for upgraded joists. So, the most I can move the beam is about 3 or 4 feet before they will charge extra. Flush beams are a little extra.... mostly because of the labour. Also, flush beams tend to make more noise with the flooring above. I have been taking a look at my swing. I don't think that I will have a issue with the beam if I move it back. My follow through is high on occasion but my backswing is nowhere close to getting that high. Thanks for the input.....
Working...
X