Sim build: turf & projector location questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sim build: turf & projector location questions

I'm currently building a golf simulator in a detached garage and have found the wealth of information on this forum very useful. I have already purchased & set up the following:The garage measures roughly 9' H x 18.5' D x 20.5' W, so my only real restriction is height. I currently have the front edge of my 4'x5' hitting surface about 9.5' back from the screen and it seems to work well for my irons & woods/driver, but I have 2 main questions:
    1. What does everyone recommend for a low cost 'green' type material to cover a good amount of area between the hitting surface and screen/enclosure?
      1. There's enough room for me to stand and hit from the 4'x5' golf mat, so it doesn't really need to be of the highest quality/feel (I don't think?)
      2. I need to cover an area of roughly 13'x11.5' (minus the 4'x5' mat, which I would inset within this area), so would prefer an economical solution
      3. My hitting mat is 1.25" thick and I'm planning on building up the surrounding 'green' surfaces to the same height, so putts can roll naturally and the hitting surface is held securely in place
    2. Any issues with putting the projector on the ground between my hitting surface and the impact screen/enclosure?
      1. I originally planned to mount the projector overhead, until I realized that this would prohibit one of the garage doors from opening (projector/mount would be in the way of the door/tracks)
      2. I've been thinking a Terrashield projector floor mount would do the trick, but want to make sure it doesn't impact swing follow-through, putting, etc.
    I've attached a photo that shows the rough layout I'm considering. Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0716.jpg
Views:	1889
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	233279

I used outdoor carpet from Lowe's as my filler between the stance mat and screen. Interlocking foam tiles (also from Lowe's) allowed me to "drop" the stance mat and have a uniform height from stance mat to fiberbuilt hitting mat to outdoor carpet.

Comment

• hillzz22
      hillzz22 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Lowe's seems to carry a number of different artificial turf options (e.g. SYNLawn, Everlast Putting Green, etc.). Any chance you remember which one you went with and approximately how much it cost?

I used TruGrass from Home Depot which I'm happy with (not good for putting, but looks like real grass. It ran me about $1.50 a sq/ft. Regarding your 2nd question, you could leave it on the floor, but would have to build a protective ramp behind it.

Comment

I looked at various turf options but was not happy with the costs. I went to a local carpet store and found a light brown remnant that was cut to fit my area. I then took it to a local installer who used binding machine to sew the edges so they don't unravel. I use TSC stall mats underneath and cut out hole to drop in my stance mat so surface is close to level with my mat. Putting is pretty good and fast. Approx 10 on stemp matches my game settings.

Comment

We have almost the same setup. Check out my post and it will give you all the info you need

Hey Guys, I am a new member to the site. I see lots of questions between various post and thought I would share pics of my new SIM room to help folks with decisions they are trying to make for their own. The photos should answer most questions people have. This room is 11x14 and the ceiling doesn’t even come into play. The

Comment

• hillzz22
          hillzz22 commented
          Editing a comment
          Definitely a similar setup, you're right. I actually looked into your recommendation on the other thread and ended up purchasing a 12'x13' piece of turf from iCustomRug. Thanks again for the recommendation!
      Working...
      X