Sim room 2020 - Time to get serious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sim room 2020 - Time to get serious

I started building out my Sim room about 4 years ago, but work/family/money got in the way of me ever finishing it. It was functional, but not attractive. My kids are now getting old enough to show interest in golf, so I decided to tear it down and start from scratch. Here is the original room:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200407_161007.jpg
Views:	8803
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	258622

A couple of notes:
    • The studs on the left and right walls don't line up, so I nailed up some 2x4's so I could hang the screen flat. I thought I would be building a box around them to cover the tarp clips, but eventually realized this approach wasn't going to work. So I left it looking like this for 4 years (LOL).
    • The CCE mat has taken a beating and I've never really had elbow or wrist issues that some mention. Still dumping it and upgrading to something else.
    • We built the house 6 years ago and had this space above the garage intentionally designed for a golf room. We had them put in the cheapest carpet they had because I thought I would be ripping it up as soon as we moved in...whoops.
    • The mat slides all over the place, hence the 2x4's on the ground.
    • Note the black marks in the middle of the screen. Rookie mistake, I hung a black backing directly behind the screen and it stained the screen over time. Sigh.
    • The GC2 has been awesome, too bad Foresight software is so horrible. I only use FSX range, TGC1 and TGC 2019 for SIM play

It will take the occasional shot from my kids, but I'm not worried about the bounce back. I am more concerned about the velvet getting damaged and having an easy way to repair / replace it. I'm experimenting with different mounting methods that won't show screws, but are easy to remove.

Comment

I got the black velvet on the screen frame and started attaching the acoustic panels on the wall and ceiling around the screen. I ran out of adhesive, so I’m done for the night. I think it will look good when I get all the trim done, seems like a long time from now. I underestimated this project, but for the most part it has been fun.

Name:	260F8CE9-0B21-401E-A86B-64769E1EB5A3.jpeg
Views:	2160
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	266966

Name:	629D49E1-73D5-439A-9836-164760AD5EF5.jpeg
Views:	2049
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	266967

Comment

• GoldenSim
        GoldenSim commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice work! It’ll be worth it. Nearly there

• abirdie4me
        abirdie4me commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! A long way to go, but at least starting to look like a Sim room. Need to rent a U-haul and go to Lowe’s tomorrow to get the subfloor, that’s the last of the really big tasks that I need to complete. I’m sure I’ll be tinkering with it for a long time before I consider it officially ‘done’, but I hope to get it to a playable state in the next couple of weeks.

• GoldenSim
        GoldenSim commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha - yeah, two years in and I’m still not done! There’ll always be options to add, improvements to make etc. But it’ll be nice when you get that feeling of completion for this phase

I used adhesive spray for the first 50 tiles...came back up to continue the next day, and 48 of the 50 had fallen off. Many curse words followed. Rather than go through all that again, I punted and decided to just nail / screw them in. Looks fine from hitting distance and beyond, but not a clean look if you get up close. But at least they aren’t going to fall down anymore.

On to the subfloor this weekend and then I’ll come back and do the finishing trim last. Getting close to a playable SIM again!

Click image for larger version  Name:	0515EC8F-40B1-47AE-B994-99549ABB8E60.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	37.7 KB ID:	268110
      Last edited by abirdie4me; 05-08-2020, 12:37 AM.

Comment

• Godfather
        Godfather commented
        Editing a comment
        Oof that stinks. Maybe an adhesive from a caulk gun would work better - more glue to grab onto both surfaces.

• abirdie4me
        abirdie4me commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I thought through all the options and in the end decided to go with the easiest option. I may end up regretting it in the long run, but it looks good as long as you aren’t up close inspecting it.

• dudley286
        dudley286 commented
        Editing a comment
        Aww man that blows!!!! Still looking great though!!

Name:	4A213202-E8DE-4F94-89A2-F4F40CC12203.jpeg
Views:	1980
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	268113

Comment

Finally getting the subfloor laid down...getting closer to having a working SIM!

Name:	BC05BFF8-713D-4035-A634-8D3C9C215340.jpeg
Views:	2317
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	269121

Comment

Having trouble finding an electrician to come move the wires in the wall so I can put in a door behind the screen, so for now I just cut a crawl hole.

Name:	C95C5E7A-5F7C-4D6A-85CC-E6739657F1BD.jpeg
Views:	1914
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	269151

Comment

Keep up the good work!
            Last edited by Will; 05-13-2020, 12:34 PM.
            Uneekor QED / The Golf Club 2019
            Epson L1300UNL (8000 Lumen Laser 2160P) ELPLU03 Lens (0.69 Throw Ratio)
            Dell P4317Q (2160P) x2
            PC (Watercooled 2080 TI / 11700k / 16GB)
            Par2Pro Stealth Screens

Comment

1538 screws, but finally done! If I could go back in time, I wouldn’t do the subfloor. I had a bunch of ideas for it (trough, sunken area for replaceable stance mat and hitting strip, even automatic ball return!), but in the end it’s just a raised floor. Oh well, time to move on to putting down the exercise mats and then rolling out the turf. Might be ready to go by this weekend!

Name:	B0726725-2647-42F3-9DEC-EFC309521BDA.jpeg
Views:	1955
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	269385

Comment

Looks great and I think it allows for flexibility in the future should you want to use a different hitting strip that might not be level with the rest of your turf? Also, does this not provide opportunities to add some putting holes?

Comment

• abirdie4me
                  abirdie4me commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It does give me options in the future. I’ll putting in cups tonight or tomorrow, that is one thing I can take advantage of right now.

I got the foam tiles installed, it was quite easy. No need to attach them, they don’t move at all. I’ll pull up a few of them later tonight so that I can drill the holes for the putting cups, but otherwise I am just about ready to roll out the turf. I may work on getting the trim up before the carpet, that way the ladder will be more stable and I don’t have to worry about getting the carpet dirty.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8439468E-0B84-4481-A3FE-8F61594E020F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	38.9 KB ID:	269396
                Last edited by abirdie4me; 05-14-2020, 01:15 AM.

Comment

The end is in sight! Well, for Phase 1 at least....

Name:	E2FC4615-ECD9-4D5B-9882-EA107A6B5B85.jpeg
Views:	1824
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	269416

Comment

Looks great! Maybe it will be pouring rain all weekend for you!

Comment

Do you mind giving me a link to the tiles you used? How thick are they? I may just use those in my garage and put turf on top instead of a subfloor.

Comment

I swear, it’s the little stuff that is such a pain in the butt.

Name:	B2284D68-C76D-426C-B1FD-8CBC20E87F2D.jpeg
Views:	1789
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	269803

Comment

You can also buy the tiles at we sell mats - https://www.wesellmats.com/foam-tile...eva-foam-mats/

Especially if you are putting turf over fop the colors should not matter.

Comment

Working...
                        X