Garage Build - Ceiling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Build - Ceiling

Preparing for winter up here in Michigan already and would like to be able to swing a driver in the garage. It's a detached garage with ceiling height of 8ft and would like to move it up to 10ft. Was thinking of only needing to move 2 of the collar ties up to swing freely on that side of the garage. Anyone have experience doing this or could help clarify? Any help is much appreciated.

I've got a contractor working on a quote for pretty much the same thing. I'll post when I get the quote (Hopefully this week).

Comment

I have a detached garage with the same situation. I was at 8'6" so I cut down one of my rafters that was in the way of my 3w and driver swing and raised it by about 1' then added some supports. I don't have any concerns about structural strength with my garage but I may not be at code because those rafters also support the side walls of the garage. It worked like a dream and I have no issues. Once again, I'm confident that my garage is structurally safe but it's something I may need to fix when I sell the house.

Comment

Have any pictures? I agree that it shouldn't be much of an issue but curious how you added supports. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X