Pro Tip - Don't do this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Tip - Don't do this...

While building my hitting platform I plugged a circular saw into the same circuit as my PC. Now all the magic smoke has come out of the computer and I get to build a new one. Plus get a better UPS.

Sorry to hear that, but at least it gives me something to think about for an excuse to tell my wife when my computer needs an upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Dax View Post
      Sorry to hear that, but at least it gives me something to think about for an excuse to tell my wife when my computer needs an upgrade.
      Always remember to backup your data before starting any woodworking project. That's my motto.

Comment

I have the parts for the replacement PC, time to get building. It still feels wrong to be doing an Intel gaming rig but it is what it is (Uneekor QED says it needs an Intel CPU).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Small - Copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.7 KB ID:	294113
        Last edited by GarageDasein; 10-28-2020, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Sorry to hear about it man. What are you doing for a GPU? Get your hands on a 3080?

Comment

Originally posted by SkeetShooter View Post
            Sorry to hear about it man. What are you doing for a GPU? Get your hands on a 3080?
            For the moment, I'm using an old GTX 1650 as a place holder until I can step up to a 4k projector and a 3000 series card. I spec'd this build to support that plan.

Comment

Gotcha... The 850w PSU should be adequate for a 3080. Supposedly the 3070 is dropping this week I think. I'm curious which one is going to actually be available to normal consumers. The 3080s are still sold out basically everywhere

Comment

Gotcha... The 850w PSU should be adequate for a 3080. Supposedly the 3070 is dropping this week I think. I'm curious which one is going to actually be available to normal consumers. The 3080s are still sold out basically everywhere
                The 3070's will be the same, instant sellout with most going to people who work for the stores selling them.

Comment

Your lucky that's all that happened.

Question... I have never owned a gaming pc but will need one for my sim. Are the GTX 3000 series cards light years ahead of the 2000 series?

Is it graphics, speed or both?

Comment

Originally posted by Pickled View Post
                    Your lucky that's all that happened.

Question... I have never owned a gaming pc but will need one for my sim. Are the GTX 3000 series cards light years ahead of the 2000 series?

Is it graphics, speed or both?
                    RTX 3000 series cards are a massive leap in performance over RTX 2000... Basically their bottom end card the 3070 (will likely be a lower tier card in the future) out performs or matches the highest tier 2000 series card. This is a $500 card that is beating a $1500 card.

And what is more interesting is that AMD has just released their lineup and they are under cutting NVidia on price and promising on par or greater performance. And to add insult to injury, they are looking to deliver on their supply requirements which NVidia has not been able to do. They just acquired a company that produces semi-conductors. I would definitely be worried if I was NVidia right now.

Comment

If you can score a 3070 can probably flip it for $1500

Comment

RTX 3000 series cards are a massive leap in performance over RTX 2000... Basically their bottom end card the 3070 (will likely be a lower tier card in the future) out performs or matches the highest tier 2000 series card. This is a $500 card that is beating a $1500 card.

And what is more interesting is that AMD has just released their lineup and they are under cutting NVidia on price and promising on par or greater performance. And to add insult to injury, they are looking to deliver on their supply requirements which NVidia has not been able to do. They just acquired a company that produces semi-conductors. I would definitely be worried if I was NVidia right now.
                        I'll be waiting for the hands on reviews of the AMD cards, they have had issues in the recent past.

Comment

• SkeetShooter
                          SkeetShooter commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Agree, I've been considering going back to AMD, but yes, they definitely has had problems in the past. Generally its always driver problems, never hardware related.

Good to know thanks. I won’t need one until my house is built and that’s another 12 months away. I will definitely wait to buy my gaming computer.

Comment

Working...
                        X