Need help with dangerous bounce-back issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with dangerous bounce-back issue

Hello all. I am 99% finished with my simulator build, but I need recommendations for dealing with balls bouncing off the top metal pipe. The pipe is covered with a pool noodle, but it doesn't cover the entire pipe. Hence, I have had a few VERY scary moments when the ball flew back at incredibly fast speeds. My gap, sand and lob wedges all can reach this pipe, so let me know if you have any recommendations. I am attaching a couple pictures of the top/front of the screen, as well as two pictures showing above the screen. Thanks!

How far away are you hitting and how high is that pipe?

Comment

The hitting strip is 11-12' from the screen. Pipe is ~9' tall.

Comment

I was thinking about cutting a thick memory foam mattress topper into long strips, as I could hang ~6" tall strips in front of the pipe. Being 3" thick, I'm guessing the memory foam would slow the ball down quite a bit. The top 5-6" of the screen isn't used by the projector, so we can use that section of the screen to cover the pipe.
        Last edited by GolfingATX; 03-18-2021, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GolfingATX View Post
          The hitting strip is 11-12' from the screen. Pipe is ~9' tall.
          My opinion is that you are just too far away for a 9-foot enclosure. The simplest way to fix this is to just move closer to the screen. It seems like most people hit from about 9 feet. I hit from 7 feet. 11-12 just seems really far for an enclosure that's only 9 feet high. Move in a little and those wedges will hit the screen and not the bar. At the very least, give it a try.

Comment

Thanks, but the raised floor and hitting strip has already been installed.

Comment

You might be able to attach some netting up top to stop balls from hitting the bar. Don't know how that will affect your image though.

They do sell much thicker pool noodles. I found some at Walmart that are a good 6 inches in diameter. Might be more effective than what you have currently.

Comment

I'm looking into something similar for the top bar of my sim screen. The guy doing the curved screen build said he got his foam from https://foamonline.com/ . It looks like they have some solutions that could work.

Comment

Maybe you already are but play with a higher spin ball and the launch will be lower. I remember on my old sim testing balls that the low spin rock balls would launch higher.

Also, I'm using this on the ceiling maybe you could as well just near the pipes. https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficM...072S/302721625 A 6'x2' section will run you less than $10 and it really kills the ball so maybe keep it loose around the pipe area and still have the noodle underneath.

Comment

I have the exact problem. I am 9' away and with 9'4" high cross EMT pipe supporting the screen. The pipe insulation from Home Depot does very little to prevent bounce back. I am thinking about using my heavy tarp on the top to cover the beam instead of hanging it over the screen. My tarp is 40 oz per yard and super heavy and weights 58 lbf for a 10'x20' piece.

Comment

Seems like a pool noodle could solve that?

Comment

If you are worried purchase some roll bar padding from a race equipment company like Summit Racing or Jegs. It is designed to absorb impacts like a crash helmet hitting a bar during a wreck.

Comment

You can make these and attach it around the screen.

My Courses:
                          World Par 3's by mthunt
                          Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                          Burlington G&CC by mthunt
                          Weston G&CC by mthunt
                          London Hunt Club L mthunt
                          Park CC Lidar mthunt
                          Sunningdale GC Robinson L
                          Sunningdale GC Thompson L
                          Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
                          Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
                          The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
                          The National GC L mthunt
                          Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                          Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
                          Markland Woods CC mthunt
                          Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                          Magna GC L mthunt
                          Barrie CC L mthunt
                          mthunt Range

Comment

• nickfisher47
                            nickfisher47 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            This seems like a great idea & build - how did you make them?

• mthunt
                            mthunt commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Foam, material, Velcro and a sewing machine. However, I didn’t make those.

Look at AllSportSystems Shot defender or DIY https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...883#post142883 as an option

Comment

Hey N, shoot me a text and we'll get it figured out. Rule of thumb is not to hit from further back than the height of your screen (so would take a 45 deg launch angle to reach top pipe), but if you can't go that close, we'll have to re-fashion your top bar connection for more safety.
                            - Ron at GunghoGolf.com - we specialize in TrackMan, FlightScope, Foresight, Uneekor, SkyTrak, Garmin, Bushnell, TGC, and E6 Connect. 512-861-4151 or email hello AT gunghogolf.com.

Comment

Working...
                            X