How Important is Depth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Important is Depth?

I'm in the process of designing a garage simulator build. I have plenty of height and width, but I'm limited to 10', 12' max, of floor space depth. Most of the kits I'm looking at list 16' as a minimum requirement. Do I really need 16'? I plan on purchasing a GC Quad vs Radar based launch monitor if that matters. Thanks for the insight, and I hope all is well.

Well my tee is exactly 7' from the screen, I have 9" behind my screen but it took a lot of tension tuning to get the bounce comfortable. I honestly think 7' tee to screen is as close as I can get and have my swing still be very comfortable and the projector image not obstructed. Id setup 7 foot from where the screen would be and see how deep you need behind you.

Just want to add my space is about as tight as it possibly gets for a simulator. 10' high at the peak of the ceiling, 12' wide room, 8' high at the other end of the ceiling with a few obstructions on the wall. If you have a good swing, and you have enough room you will make it comfortable, but swing hard a few times and be sure
    Last edited by chip_shot; 09-07-2021, 03:19 AM.

Comment

You always should work with the space you have. If you have 10-12' no limit on width I would consider putting the tee as far back from the screen as possible so you are comfortable swinging your driver. After you get your screen size determined use this link to find the correct projector and lens combination to fill your screen or use it to verify if your current projector. I found this very useful after pulling out my hair trying to figure it out myself!

https://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...ulator-pro.cfm

Good luck!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Rcrosley51; 09-07-2021, 07:31 AM.

Comment

10-12 is tight but doable. if you hit 7 ft from screen. that would be approx 8 ft from screen wall. swing a driver slowly from 8 ft and see how close you get to back wall. 7 ft is is minimum you want to hit from screen. A benq th671 would mount in the 10-11 ft from screen range. make sure you get a low bounce back screen since you are hitting closer. thx chip

Comment

For a quad you can get away with a lot shorter depth but you will have to use a TV or mount the projector to the ceiling.

Comment

Originally posted by golfsimulatorsite View Post
            10-12 is tight but doable. if you hit 7 ft from screen. that would be approx 8 ft from screen wall. swing a driver slowly from 8 ft and see how close you get to back wall. 7 ft is is minimum you want to hit from screen. A benq th671 would mount in the 10-11 ft from screen range. make sure you get a low bounce back screen since you are hitting closer. thx chip
            How is 12 ft of room depth "doable"?

8 ft from screen wall to ball is 4 ft from ball to back wall, and most guys will hit the back wall from 4 ft even with a lob wedge. 6' is the bare minimum from ball to back wall for driver (personally at 6'3" I need 6'6"), so bare minimum room depth with only 7 feet of ball flight is 7 + 6 + 1 behind screen, or 14'. Most folks find 7' of ball flight pretty tight, so 15' is our recommended minimum room depth.
            - Ron at GunghoGolf.com - we specialize in TrackMan, FlightScope, Foresight, Uneekor, SkyTrak, Garmin, Bushnell, TGC, and E6 Connect. 512-861-4151 or email hello AT gunghogolf.com.

Comment

You will need 8-10 feet from screen to tee. Most manufactures recommend 10 feet. If your screen is relatively tight (professional looking) a driver will bounce back 6-10 feet. If you thin it, it will bounce back further and harder! You will need 6-7 feet behind the golfer to allow for backswing. Anything less will not be comfortable unless you are a small person. Some ladies might get by with 5 feet, but the average or bigger man will need 6-7 feet. You also need a minimum of 6-7 feet in from of you to allow for unhindered through swing.

Can you turn the whole thing around and use your width as the hitting direction?
              Kaos

Comment

Originally posted by Kaos View Post
                You will need 8-10 feet from screen to tee. Most manufactures recommend 10 feet. If your screen is relatively tight (professional looking) a driver will bounce back 6-10 feet. If you thin it, it will bounce back further and harder! You will need 6-7 feet behind the golfer to allow for backswing. Anything less will not be comfortable unless you are a small person. Some ladies might get by with 5 feet, but the average or bigger man will need 6-7 feet. You also need a minimum of 6-7 feet in from of you to allow for unhindered through swing.

Can you turn the whole thing around and use your width as the hitting direction?
                Kaos
                Man, I feel stupid. I was locked into one way of looking at the space and just realized if I rotate the bay and move a few things I can easily get 16'. To be honest, it was my wife who saw it, and she saw it instantly. I'm a lucky man.

Comment

Working...
                X