drive car onto hitting mat area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drive car onto hitting mat area?

I have created room in my 20 x 20 garage (10' ceiling) and am soon changing overhead garage door operator to sidewinder for complete overhead space clearance.
    I will need to pull car out for golf sim, net, or otherwise.
    Does anyone out there leave their mat(s) down and drive car over them instead of leaving car outside?
    Maybe the car only travels on areas that are not as important on mat or maybe a path created by a couple pieces of plywood (laid down, removed, etc).
    Maybe the car drives right into an enclosure?
    It's a 2012 Prius so not real big or heavy.

I would think parking a car on the actual hitting area might be a bad idea depending on what mat your using. Looking at my Fiberbuilt I think if I parked on it, it would ruin it in short order. As far as parking on the surrounding area as long as your platform can support the car it should be fine. Just be aware anything falling/dipping of the car will be on the mat.

I too am building out my hitting area on the garage and I refuse to park my car outside. My initial plan was to inlay the hitting area in the center of the tire track so I could park on the outer area but given my space restraints I need to hit offset which puts the hitting area directly under my tire. So my new plan is a moveable 4x5ish platform that I can just lay down when I want to use it. This will be built up about 1.75 inches to be level with the flight deck. The area infront of that to the screen will be cheapo turf that will stay down and I won't care if it gets dirty.

Comment

Tks anemoi.
      Good info. Good luck.
      Trying to eliminate some build thoughts
      got as many as swing thoughts..
      Guh!

Comment

I post this often when people ask for working garages.

Slide the stance mat over 18" and your tires easily straddle it. The shaggy grass is for outdoor use and is fine to drive on. 2 winters in Ohio and no issues.
        Uneekor QED / The Golf Club 2019
        Epson L1300UNL (8000 Lumen Laser 2160P) ELPLU03 Lens (0.69 Throw Ratio)
        Dell P4317Q (2160P) x2
        PC (Watercooled 2080 TI / 11700k / 16GB)
        Par2Pro Stealth Screens

Comment

• bubbtubbs
          bubbtubbs commented
          Editing a comment
          A nice setup like that is going to make your cars think you care about them too much. I like to leave mine outside, only wash it once a year and remind it that it's never more than one repair bill away from being replaced with a shiny new one, just to keep it honest.

• Stre
          Stre commented
          Editing a comment
          this is a great idea. nice work!

is the putting strip from fiberbuilt as well? i haven't seen them sell one that narrow before.

Kinda what I was wondering as it should be easy to roll over non important surfaces.
        We'll see what the wife thinks about having to pay attention when entering garage.
        Xlnt pics and information.
        Thank you.

Comment

• Will
          Will commented
          Editing a comment
          Having 2 garage doors will center the vehicle over the mat. It's hard to drive over a three foot wide mat after going through the garage door. Tires easily straddle them.

The fiberbuilt mat was essentially a 4'x9' mat segmented into three 4'x3' mats. (It was actually a custom T shaped mat that I drew up and ordered) The putting surface and middle hitting section of that 4'x9' stance area do not move. After assembly, it's like a 14'x3' runner between the vehicles.

The thick artificial grass is there to stop the ball from bouncing or rolling and works great without underlayment. Just cut to size with a box blade and toss it down for a plush landing site for your ball.

PS - Will: your garage size please (in pics)?

Comment

• Will
          Will commented
          Editing a comment
          Interior dimensions
          21'4" wide
          23' deep
          10'8" tall

Two garage doors, high rails, shaft driven

I think you need 20' for a sim depth. 1'-2' behind the impact screen. 10-12' ball to the screen. 8' behind the ball and to the side for a comfortable swing clearance, including practice swing.

With 23', there is room to walk around the enclosure on all sides with all 3 screens dropped. It's a little narrow behind the screen with some storage, but you can make it through or grab something off the wall.

I still need to make a writeup on the build.
          Last edited by Will; 10-13-2021, 10:03 PM.

Here's how we did a recent garage studio build where the client wanted to park on it, and also wanted zero things to move in/out when changing from golf to garage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu_98Gl9z7o&t=2s
        - Ron at GunghoGolf.com - we specialize in TrackMan, FlightScope, Foresight, Uneekor, SkyTrak, Garmin, Bushnell, TGC, and E6 Connect. 512-861-4151 or email hello AT gunghogolf.com.

Comment

• Will
          Will commented
          Editing a comment
          That is a very nice installation. Lots of great choices. A uneekor system would have been super clean, but the client probably had some say in that.
          How did the ceiling protection work out? This is such a clean setup.

I like the on/off remote for the garage doors. What remote are you using for rollers and garage door?

Tks Ron.
        Looks like that person has the garage size I wanted..
        Impressive. Nice looking install.
        I'm stuck with 20x20 but 10' ceiling.
        But I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
        Last edited by robhga; 10-13-2021, 04:34 PM. Reason: foghat one of the most splendid quotes in film history

Comment

Working...
        X